4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

those in need of a tranny rebuild watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:42 AM

those in need of a tranny rebuild watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive had a very bad experience dealing with a transmission rebuild shop. i warn everyone not go to this guy even if its for a oil change.

back in november or december i was having some trouble with my manual tranny. since i work at a shop, it was no problem for me to take it off and have a look at the tranny. now it is beyond me to work on trannys & the shop that i work for doesnt do specific work on trannies or engines. so i asked one of the older guys that i work with if he knows a place where i can go get my tranny looked at. he told me he does and the place was pretty close to the area that i work, so that was a plus to me and he also said that the tranny shop he told me to go to has previously done work for our shop. so i figured yeah thats 2 plus's i'll give him a shot.i go there and check the place out told him where i work and that i need my tranny done. he says sure, i call him back the next day to see what the damages done and he told me some synros were busted and some bearings needed to be replaced and maybe a few other things. i gave me a quote of 5 bills.
alright fine i tell him do the work. a few weeks later i get the tranny back and put it back in and i was hearing a whineing noise, so i made sure i had enough gear oil and i went back and asked him what is the usual break in period, he told me about 500 miles.
the whining was due to the new parts but all the while i would always hear a whistle in 4th gear.
so after about 1k miles four gear went out on me while i was driving on the turnpike.
so i go back to the guy and tell him what happened becuase he just did the work and i would imagine that he would back his work up. ok i go back to him and let him test drive my car so that he can see what i am talking about and now hear the sound of the broken syncro that is going around in the tranny.
i bring my car back to work and take the tranny out to give back to him to work on. i call him later that day and ask him whats up. i tells me that the shaft that 4th gear was on now looks like its a little too worn.
i like You didnt see that before?????????
so he says he ordering the parts and all that good stuff. a week later i call him back and ask if everying is good to go, he tells me there was a problem with the shaft. he tells me that the shaft that was ordered was from a newer design and didnt fit my tranny, it was too long.
so on and so forth there was one BS line after another
weeks roll by and then a month. and i call him every few days to check in cause i using a lift at work. i tell him listen i cant just hold up this lift its really bad for business. he asures me it will be done.
by this time im already hot. and since i dont have a 2nd car i cant just drop in too many times unless i take a test drive in the car that i work on.
so he is still BS's and im hot im ready to go choke this guy.
i ended up buying a used tranny and having it shipped to me before he got done.
you know why i got another one before he got done?????
because he didnt do a da%^& thing to my sh&*^
all that BS'sing round and telling me he got parts coming and he is going to be done, nothing.

mechanic to mechanic he F%&ked around and BSed
so what do you think he would do to a customer??????

this guy shop is in Orange NJ on Lincoln Ave the name of the shop is Chris Transmission's and the top guy that bs'd my tranny name is chris
if you live in this area let them know what kind on work this guy does
Old 02-26-2005, 06:51 AM

I went through similar issues with my 5 spd tranny rebuild and the guy that did it, I feel your pain.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry man. your still outta 500? what ya going to do? take him to court
Old 02-26-2005, 11:18 AM

weak sauce When i take my car to any shop, i watch it like a hawk unless you trust them. You thought that your buddy would give you a good place too. I had big problems with the dealship when i first got my car, i mean its always a run around even when you pay.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah dude you gotta drag his a$$ to court. for your 500 bucks and then some. If you guys are both in the auto repair buisness ask him which dealer he ordered your parts from? try to catch him in his B/S story
Old 02-26-2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by zack342
sorry man. your still outta 500? what ya going to do? take him to court
well i dont know what i want to do just yet, i still want to go a couple of rounds and hit him in the head a few times
Old 02-27-2005, 06:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Unfortunately stuff like that happens all the time. Tranny shops are among the worst. I personally have friends who have had bad experiences with them. Once the tranny is out, your car is captive. Often they will BS any list of problems at that point and take whatever time they want. If they already have your money, there is no incentive for them to do anything.

I would recommend to anyone who needs tranny work done: just go out and have a low miles 2000-2001 tranny shipped in. Do the work yourself so you know it is done right. A clutch job is not hard but does take time and organisation.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 AM

do believe i got another transmission. and i took my own tranny out to have the other guy work on it so i wasnt worried about having my car held captive.

i was lucky enough to find DaveB sellling a tranny for a 2000 max
i got it shipped through fedex for 4bills with 36k miles.

Thanx DaveB