4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what's the fascination with CF hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:39 PM

what's the fascination with CF hoods?

Okay, so maybe this thread shows my ignorance or newbiness, but what's the fascinatoin with CF hoods? Why are they so popular? To me, they look ugly as hell on any non-black car. It looks like you F'd up your hood, got a new one at a parts yard, and couldn't afford to paint it body color. I'm not trying to rag on anybody with one, I'm just trying to better understand why people seem to love them.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:50 PM

less weight ... They like carbon fiber look... Cheaper then regular hood if needs to be replaced ...

P.s They look very good on white cars as well.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:32 PM
VIP Maxima

less weight and it gives the car that racer look matched with the hood pins. also i see it as one of the easiest ways to let others know that ur into this whole import scene and modding cars !

Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM

i am mesmerized by the weave pattern......
Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
also i see it as one of the easiest ways to let others know that ur into this whole import scene and modding cars !
great, so once you get a cf hood ricers will come up to you, ask you stupid questions and try and race you.

i love the look of cf hoods, too bad they are practically worthless on a front wheel drive car.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
SLOW

What the heck does the drivetrain configuration of a car have to do with the usefulness or lack thereof of a CF hood? Let me guess you think that lighter wheels mean less traction too...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:27 PM

The less she weights(maxima) the faster she will go. Its all on how you want your car to look to an audience. Ive just heard problems that they never fit like OEM, if its cheap i dont want it.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:41 PM

its a preferance, thats like asking why do some people have black rims instead of silver?

i like the way the hood looks and it does have a function saving weight, although most get it for looks anyway.

i ordered a hood mainly cause it was cheaper than getting my hood repainted, it looks nice, plus the weight saving.

also no one in my area has one so ill be a lil more unique.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:46 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
What the heck does the drivetrain configuration of a car have to do with the usefulness or lack thereof of a CF hood? Let me guess you think that lighter wheels mean less traction too...
well since the car is FWD, wouldnt less weight in the fornt mean less traction? yes it takes weight off the entire car, but it also makes the front lighter, which is bad right?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:52 PM

man cf is its own color to begin with. now that i have that out of the way...its looks ****ing awsome on alot of different color cars. and no a cf hood would not effect the traction...for heavens sake u have a freakin engine ontop of ur tires (more or less)
Old 02-27-2005, 10:06 PM
$tillenmax2k

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
well since the car is FWD, wouldnt less weight in the fornt mean less traction? yes it takes weight off the entire car, but it also makes the front lighter, which is bad right?
So a civic has less traction than a maxima becuase it weighs less? You are dumb.
CF parts are nice when they are high quality.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:12 PM
The Definitive AE Master

A good CF hood is nice to have. 12lbs vs. 48lbs for the stocker isn't insignificant either.

Ya can't say this doesn't look good:
Old 02-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Alright.... I understand the whole weight thing but why put carbon fiber over existing parts or modded parts? A guy on here got a wing and put carbon fiber over it. That is what I don't get.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:27 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by $tillenmax2k
So a civic has less traction than a maxima becuase it weighs less? You are dumb.
CF parts are nice when they are high quality.
woah, last time i ask a question here...i sure love the maxima comunity

a cf hood takes weight off of a specific point; the front, where all the traction is. i thought that that would make traction worse...im so sorry that i was wrong and insulted you so greatly.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:33 PM
$tillenmax2k

I was just trying to help you learn, it's like spanking a little kid so they don't do it again.

But you didn't mention the above comment in your original post. You specifically asked about CF hoods. Most times it's if an original part is coverd in CF for the look, and even worse if it's not real CF. But sometimes interior parts and trim are overlayed with CF for a sportier look, and that's ok.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:41 PM

What is so great about Carbon Fiber parts??? well.....you will get mixed comments about that from everyone, some like the, some dont, so if you dont like it, you dont.
The only special thing is that it is lighter, but if you want to keep the stock keep it.
Its all taste.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
A good CF hood is nice to have. 12lbs vs. 48lbs for the stocker isn't insignificant either.

got any more pics???? id like to se more, get a good idea how my car would look with the cf hood. i hope mine comes in by friday
Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hehe! My car was involved in an accident and my hood is dented on the front. Probably the cost of repairing and painting the hood will exceed the cost of buying a CF. I have a light purple silver metalic maxima and put a CF on is hmmm...
Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 AM

I don't think anyone's mentioned the fact that CF is an advancement in technology - stronger yet lighter. Nissan gave the 350Z a CF driveshaft, for example. Unfortunately, there are companies that produce cheap CF products that are too thin and are therefore fragile and easily bent. The good ones, however, kick ace. Some companies think it's so good they make entire cars out of CF, such as the HKS Altezza.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:18 AM

Personally the reason that I got my cf hood was for a replacement hood. I had gotten into an accident and my hood was fcuked up. I wasn't planning on getting one but it was way cheaper than a stock one at the dealership.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by Larrio

WOW ! larrios what cf hood weighs 12 lbs ? i had one a while back and it was only 17 lbs lighter than the stock hood, it was lighter but not by much and was junk.

-- the cf hood i had was hardly futuristic technology, it was fiberglass with a fake looking cf pattern on top.

-- lets say you removed 50 lbs off the front of the car, i dont think thats enough to make a difference in traction. i put on a cf hood and had a lighter battery must have been something like 37 lbs i knocked off the front. I got worried to, went outside and started trying to lift the front wheels off the ground, i couldnt budge the car. realizing that was a very redneck thing to do. i went to the drag way and still got 2.1 60 foots. lol, thank goodness !
Old 02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
SLOW

My cf hood weighed 13lbs whereas my stock one was 43lbs. I had a fiberimages hood.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Old Maxima Legend

what did you think about the fiberimages hood ? those videos they had were great ! one guy tosses the hood out on the ground and starts jumping up and down on it, and then they drive a car over it ! lol
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM
The original VQ...

I like the look and dont realy care about car weight, if i did i wouldn't buy a maxima to mod...

Im just gona say i dont like it cause it to expensive for my budget and i dont ahve the money to buy one....
Old 02-28-2005, 09:23 AM

I am in process of purchasing a CF hood, and I like the look of a CF hood mainly on a white car, that contrasts give the car avery unique look.

Mine being Black I dont think it will be visible as much but I feel it still will look good. The main reason why I am purchasing one is because it is cheaper, have searched and searched for regular stock hoods, and sadly the cheapest I can find was one for $200, I know paint is going to run me atleast another $150, the hood I am purchasing is ~$350 plus I wont have to worry about getting the hood then finding a quality paint shop, dropping it off with them, hoping they do a good quality job, get the hood back then install.

Plus I'll look different from the other Maxs' I see on the street, especially this one at my school with the wal-mart hubcap siners
Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Plus I'll look different from the other Maxs' I see on the street, especially this one at my school with the wal-mart hubcap siners
Old 02-28-2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 96white
less weight ... They like carbon fiber look... Cheaper then regular hood if needs to be replaced ...

P.s They look very good on white cars as well.
they look good on white cars.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
It's not like your taking the motor and the tranny out of the car.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:38 AM

anybody know where i could find one for a decent price. my hood is dented to hell thanks to one of my friends and i need a replacement.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Armani

Originally Posted by josehernandez94
Okay, so maybe this thread shows my ignorance or newbiness, but what's the fascinatoin with CF hoods? Why are they so popular? To me, they look ugly as hell on any non-black car. It looks like you F'd up your hood, got a new one at a parts yard, and couldn't afford to paint it body color. I'm not trying to rag on anybody with one, I'm just trying to better understand why people seem to love them.
totally agree with you....unless it's a black car, CF hood looks like crap and unfortunately it also shows 99.9% of other drivers how cheap you are - that is, it appears as though you got a black hood from a Maxima and fitted it onto yours.

So in the end, you think: "performance, mod, stylish!"
whereas 99.9% of other people think: "ghetto"

Old 02-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Armani

So in the end, you think: "performance, mod, stylish!"
whereas 99.9% of other people think: "ghetto"
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If I weren't into this whole modding thing (which I am thanks almost entirely to this website), then I'd just be like "damn, sucks for that guy. his max is pimped out, but he couldn't get a body color hood."
Old 02-28-2005, 11:05 AM

I dont know the eye can tell what is from a junk yard and what isnt.

if someone had a CF hood, asssuming its clean and of a decent quality the clear coat would shine which would give somepeople a inclination that this is just a trash hood.
We ALL know how the junk yard replacement hoods look like, its flat black and looks like someone spray painted it a can of black paint from the dollar store.

but good to hear you guy like a black max with CF hood, my car will feel better knowing there are others that will apprecaiate the look as much as her owner
Old 02-28-2005, 11:09 AM
It's chrome alright...

Warning on this thread should read:

This thread contains some of the the worst
sig pics ever seen. Enter at your own risk.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2kev
Warning on this thread should read:

This thread contains some of the the worst
sig pics ever seen. Enter at your own risk.

hater
Old 02-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Cheesing away...

holy sig batman!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:13 PM

I wish there were Carbon Fiber Rims out lol
Old 02-28-2005, 12:15 PM
SLOW

If you are putting a hood on your car to impress Grandma Alice and Grandpa Roy in their Dodge Caravan I think you are trying to impress the wrong people.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

Originally Posted by KsuMax

holy sig batman!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by SiCkBLaCKMaX99
I wish there were Carbon Fiber Rims out lol

sadly there are. I'm sure its not all made out of carbon fiber but a layer of it is put over the outside rim and clear coated.

thats how I think it was made, saw a pic of them in my modified mag.

quick google. . . they look something like pics at the bottom

http://www.hardracing.com/Rims/BlackStone.htm
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I have a CF trunk it saves good weight but it will be painted the cars stock color before it goes on.

Im looking for a CF hood that weighs 10-13 lbs ,and then i will buy it and paint that to. With a very light hood on my car by next year it could put my car in the high 2400's lb range.

Quick Reply: what's the fascination with CF hoods?