4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2k2 hid install w/ pictures and write up

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:31 AM

so i wanna know who on here is running hid's w/o a retro fit????????? and nismo how'd you make that harness pm me. i love the new light out put of my hid's and have seen stock hid's that are brighter then the new setup
Old 03-01-2005, 10:32 AM

it took alot of time and 3 halogen bulbs to complete the rebasing. 8 hours to be exact and that includes mounting the ballast and aligning the bulb so that hte brown piece is down.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by azmaxipad
so i wanna know who on here is running hid's w/o a retro fit????????? and nismo how'd you make that harness pm me. i love the new light out put of my hid's and have seen stock hid's that are brighter then the new setup
I was running hid's without a retro, but now I am in the process of retrofitting some projectors. Can't wait till its done!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:34 AM

wow 8hrs? shiet thats alot of time for some lights bro, i could do a tranny job in 8hrs
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM

yes it seems like alot of time but it really isn't i had a free day and i wanted it to be done right the first time. I took my time aligned everything removed the housing to mount the ballasts. of course there was rtv drying time and drive time to get the new halogens after i broke one of the bases. but just like retro fits i know that will take me a good portion of a day due to the fact that i won't be happy til it looks like it came on the car
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

I was running 6000K hid's without a retro since 2001.
No problem.
When you hit the switch igniter gives out 23,000 volt to ignite the bulb.
That 23,000 volts is accumulated bit-by-bit from the battery before the ignition.
When it's ignited, HI voltage is going OFF and LOW voltage from the battery is still ON
During all those steps it's not exceeding 35W, so it's not going to MELT wires.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Custom User Title

^^Wrong.

There is no way the igniters can accumulate the voltage "bit by bit", because the hid's have no source of power other than the stock harness. And when the headlights off, there is no power going to the hid's at all.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I was running hid's without a retro, but now I am in the process of retrofitting some projectors. Can't wait till its done!

same here i have E46 (or E55 i can't remember) projectors, BMW ballasts new headlamps and new 4100k burners. i just need help making them. i don't wanna n00b my way thru it and ruin these expensive parts.

i'm still runnin my HIDs w/o a retro.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 98i30
I was running 6000K hid's without a retro since 2001.
No problem.
When you hit the switch igniter gives out 23,000 volt to ignite the bulb.
That 23,000 volts is accumulated bit-by-bit from the battery before the ignition.
When it's ignited, HI voltage is going OFF and LOW voltage from the battery is still ON
During all those steps it's not exceeding 35W, so it's not going to MELT wires.
What are you talking about?? How can 12 volt battery accumulate 23,000 volts? You are getting power from your stock harness. And the current overload an heat will eventually melt your harness!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by queenambeach
People like you make me laugh. Just because your harness hasn't given out yet doesn't mean it won't. Dude check this out. It's simple laws of phsyics. You're running more current and heat through a wire than it's rated for. What do you think will happen over time? If you don't believe me, call Nissan!! I can't wait till your harness melts, then tell me if it's BS!

EDIT.

i've had HIDS w/the same stock harness for 3 years without any problems at all. I'm not completely sure about the whole process, but since HID bulbs draw out less current than stock halogen bulbs (55w vs 35w...which makes HID bulbs cooler than halogen bulbs) wouldn't the current going through the harness be less?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM

i don't think the concern is with the constant draw i think what they are trying to say is the jolt to fire up te ballast.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM

HID's powered off the stock wiring will melt your wires. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it will never happen. The sudden amp surge slowly degrades the entire headlight harness. It's just like runnung 87 octane, sure you can do it but over time it kills the engine. I'm a DC Power Technician we see this stuff everyday. Hopefully the graph will help.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by queenambeach
What are you talking about?? How can 12 volt battery accumulate 23,000 volts? You are getting power from your stock harness. And the current overload an heat will eventually melt your harness!
It's called a coil, same way your spark plugs fire at 30,000 volts.

HID's draw much less current then halogen bulbs do. The initial fire to ignite them is only a fraction of a second, then it's a 35W 12 volt system at work. Your electrical system does not need to work as hard to power HID's as it does to power filament bubls of the same wattage.

Converting your halogen lighting system to High Intensity Discharge, which is a more efficient lighting system, uses less power to produce more lumens of light.

That, queenambeach is a fact, please do some research before you post.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by bravehart
HID's powered off the stock wiring will melt your wires. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it will never happen. The sudden amp surge slowly degrades the entire headlight harness. It's just like runnung 87 octane, sure you can do it but over time it kills the engine. I'm a DC Power Technician we see this stuff everyday. Hopefully the graph will help.
Aren't our stock headlight harnesses rated at 30 amps anyway?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
It's called a coil, same way your spark plugs fire at 30,000 volts.

HID's draw much less current then halogen bulbs do. The initial fire to ignite them is only a fraction of a second, then it's a 35W 12 volt system at work. Your electrical system does not need to work as hard to power HID's as it does to power filament bubls of the same wattage.

Converting your halogen lighting system to High Intensity Discharge, which is a more efficient lighting system, uses less power to produce more lumens of light.

That, queenambeach is a fact, please do some research before you post.
I hate to keep arguing with you but, when you're dealing with current, a fraction of a second is a very long time to be running higher current than what's rated throught your wiring considering the speed it travels. We all know that HIDs run cooler when warmed up, but the initial ignition is what will ware down your harness. Nobody is saying get rid of your kit, but dude a harness is cheap insurance which insures absolety no damage to your stock harness. You get car insurance (or forced by to) not because you expect to crash your car but in case it happens. A $40 harness is a lot cheaper than rewiring your lighting system. Stop spouting out info that the seller of your HID kit told you. Check for yourself. Did you know you ballast were actually 42 watts despite the 35 watts you hear all the time? Genius just get a harness an power them straight from the battery.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

hell, why argue about it, let him burn it up. you cant force a horse to drink a heineken, but you can get it on film if he does...
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 PM

blah blah blah do projectors blah blah blah retro fit. OK OK i get the point behold

m3 bmw bi - xenon projectors and day time running light reflectors

pics up shortly when i get them installed