4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima Porblems???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 09:38 AM
megamax96gle

i have a 96 gle max... with aobut 64,000 miles.... put on 15,000 miles since july 00 purchase..... so far havent done much maintence expect for like regular, oil changes..., a brake job at 55,000... fluids flushed and changed... but now .. i hear some funny noises espcecially from the brakes.. they dont squeal all the time .... the steering wheel vibrates most of the time escpecially more when goin over 60, 70 , 80 mph... my wheels were rotated and balanced already.... alignment is ok?? was wondering if rotors could be the problem.... also.. i need some hyper whites or raybrig lights for my headlights and dimmer light on the side... also.... can some1 help me wit my problems

also about a tuneup where do u think its best to go... nissan dealership or independent shop.. they quoted me liek 480 for a 60k tune up... also like 400 for installation and equipment of fog lights??? wow...

Old 05-03-2001, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by megamax96gle
i have a 96 gle max... with aobut 64,000 miles.... put on 15,000 miles since july 00 purchase..... so far havent done much maintence expect for like regular, oil changes..., a brake job at 55,000... fluids flushed and changed... but now .. i hear some funny noises espcecially from the brakes.. they dont squeal all the time .... the steering wheel vibrates most of the time escpecially more when goin over 60, 70 , 80 mph... my wheels were rotated and balanced already.... alignment is ok?? was wondering if rotors could be the problem....

also about a tuneup where do u think its best to go... nissan dealership or independent shop.. they quoted me liek 480 for a 60k tune up...
If you feel the steering wheel vibrate when you are not braking, the rotors are probably not to blame. Wrong alignment is more likely to manifest itself as rapid and non-uniform tire wear, but not vibration in the steering wheel. Your symptom may be caused by a botched balancing job, a tire defect (tread ply separation, or out-of-round), a bent wheel, or worn suspension parts (tie rod ends, ball joints).

Any competent technician can perform your 60K service. An independent shop usually charges less than the dealer. Ask around for an independent which specializes in Nissan. You might find an experienced former Nissan dealer technician who opened his own business. That's a good man to know!

If you like to do your own "wrenching" you can do the 60K service in your own driveway for less than $100.
Old 05-03-2001, 02:18 PM
megamax96gle

maxima problems

yes i did get it checked out... they said that my front drivers side rim is slightly bent... would this be corrected if i put it in the rear.... or do i just need to get a new one?? thnaks

Old 05-03-2001, 03:47 PM

Bent wheel

yes i did get it checked out... they said that my front drivers side rim is slightly bent... would this be corrected if i put it in the rear.... or do i just need to get a new one?? thnaks
Replace the wheel.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:58 PM

Re: maxima problems

Moving it to the back will cause vibrations in your booty

If you have factory rims, maybe you could have the rim repaired (it is possible, but might be $$$$) or wait and buy a new set in the future and just live with it for a while. Factory rims are not cheap.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:51 PM

you own a 96 gle so you have the 15's that are swirly I assume.... I'd suggest going to a junk yard and swiping one off a maxima in which obviosly there is no damage to the wheel, although even then it might be a little risky for yet another bent wheel, check the parts for sale on this board ...

-Nate
Old 05-04-2001, 01:33 AM

Yikes! A bent wheel! When I bent my rim it was horrible. Took it to a bunch of repair shops and each one couldn't fix it (it wasn't a bad bend either). Ended up having to rush a new one from Tirerack to get my car rolling again.

DON'T drive extended distances (or drive at all) on the bent rim. It is very dangerous, and EVERY repair shop will tell you to put the donut spare on instead. Even if you move it to the back, you will be causing mad vibrations to the suspension. Get this taken care of immediately. If the damage is bad enough, you might be able to claim this under your insurance's collision coverage (or if you are lucky, the comprehensive coverage).