4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Called about a tranny flush ... they said it doesn't help .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Wookie

Called about a tranny flush ... they said it doesn't help .....

I called the Stealership and asked about how much the cost of a tranny flush would be (a lot of places around here won't do it because I want my filter cleaned, and they said it's too much trouble) well, the Stealership will do it for $139.99 and clean the filter for $89.99. I asked if it would help the tranny shift smoother because it's been kinda sluggish lately.

Of course, he said "No, it won't really help that out. It doesn't do anything for performance of your transmission, you might need a new transmission"

I, being the smart *** I am sometimes, said "Um, can I ask why you would ever need a tranny flush if it had nothing to do with the performance of the tranny ... nevermind ... I'm at work and I just wanted to know what the process was and how much it costs"

well, he explained to me that instead of just flushing the old fluid out and putting 16 quarts of new in, they will suck it out and get all the metal peices out of the filter.

IMO ... I would honestly think that since my car has 200,000 miles on it (well, a coupld thousand shy of) and has never had a tranny flush -- clean the filter would have to help the performance of the transmission. Am I just crazy or once again, were they trying to scare me into thinking my tranny is bad? I don't have any problems with it at all ... it is just sometimes when it is going from 1st to 2nd there is a slight hesistation, it's not as smooth as it used to be.

1. Will it help like I think it would, or is the guy at the Nissan place correct?
2. Is that price high?

Automagic, original tranny.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:48 AM

Why bother even discussing the matter with the stealership? Just talk to a reputable transmission shop, even better talk to 2 or 3 of them, and formulate an opinion. You can do a lot better on price than dealing with the stealer!
Old 03-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Wookie

The nearest tranny shop from here is almost 2 hours away. I guess if it would be better than the dealership (which is only an hour away) I will just do that .......
Old 03-07-2005, 07:52 AM
UCF Lexus

2 hours? Where you goin ATL?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Wookie

No ....... I live 8 hours away from ATL.

I called a tranny shop in Memphis and he said that if has hesitation going from 1st to 2nd even for just a 1/2 second, it is slipping and I am going to end up needing a re-build.

He said if they change the filter on it, it will make it worse

This really ****ing sucks.
I guess I will start saving up my money for a new tranny, there goes the 3.5 swap on hold for another year ...
Old 03-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I'm glad I don't listen to everything a "mechanic" tells me...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Wookie

Originally Posted by mzmtg
So should I still do it? I am kinda afraid too after hearing 2 "mechanics" tell me it will hurt it. That's why I am asking here ....

Will it really make it worse or will it help it? I don't have any problems with my transmission other than that very slight split fraction of a second hesitation between 1st and 2nd, and hell, that might be normal. I don't know.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 AM
suicidalspd99

if i were you i would change thefluid and see what happens from there.you might n ot have to rebuild it at all.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by suicidalspd99
if i were you i would change thefluid and see what happens from there.you might n ot have to rebuild it at all.
Exactly. If you are mentally preparing for a rebuild anyway, do the flush. It will probably help and NOT cause your transmission to explode.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Wookie

Ok -- I will get the money set aside for the rebuild and then do the flush, and if it does make it worse, I'll have the $$ already, and if it does end up helping, then I will have the money all together for my engine swap and I will go ahead and get that done.

Woo...hoo..... I hope it helps.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my opinion, don't listen to the nissan guys and also don't worry about your tranny screen.....do the flush yourself by just draining the fluid and refilling; and do this 3 or 4 times over the course of like 150 miles

then you're not messing around with other people touching your tranny and you won't have to break the seal of your transmission to get the filter/screen

i did the same thing, and definitely noticed better shifting and quicker upshifting and downshifting

get the Nissan D-matic tranny fluid, you'll have to go to the stealership but this is the only thing you'll want from them(crooks) you'll end up needing 15 or so bottles of it and the total cost will be like 60 bucks, but that beat 139.99......also ask for a replacement washer for the drain bolt on the tranny(and replace that on your last refill)
Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 AM

this is the stuff you want, its what's in your car now

Old 03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Wookie

Thank you for your help

I'm going to do that.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:17 AM

Why bother cleaning the filter? You can get an automatic transmission filter screen and a trans pan gasket together for $30...they come together as Purolator Trans Kit #P1234 (easy to remember, huh?)

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:19 AM

i'd take a dirty OEM one over a purolator
Old 03-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by A Flood99
i'd take a dirty OEM one over a purolator
Why, specifically?

What makes the OEM metal screen measurably better than an aftermarket screen?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 AM

from what i remember seeing on the org, alot were saying draining the old fluid and adding new can cause some harm. they said the atf is a detergent and theres a chance in can strip away some of the material on the clutch pucks. ive been wnating to do a tranny fluid drain and refill but after hearing how some have had problems after doing it i decided to put it off. i figured i would gradually do it like drain half, and add half new so that it isnt 100% fresh fluid, that pay help i guess if what everyone says is true.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:34 AM

well because i don't really trust aftermarket manuf. that make a wide array of replacement stock parts; most of the time i feel they lack the quality that Original Equipment have

I have also been told, that this screen in our trannies, can act sort of how the K&N filter works, debris in the filter/screen aids in trapping more debris

and i believe the only reason you should break the seal on your transmission pan is for a rebuild; just my opinion however
Old 03-07-2005, 11:46 AM

If your car has 200,000 miles and the fluid has never been changed, I'd do a 50/50 change. Add a bottle of Lubeguard in there too.

3-6 months later do another 50% change. Add a bottle of lubeguard.

Then wait 3-6 months and drop the pan and clean the screen and change all the fluid.

I had a transmisson in an Altima that I was sure was toast because it was slipping on the 1-2. I did this and everything worked fine. It got progressively better.

If your tranny is toast, nothing will help. It cant hurt to change the fluid though. Especially when you dont have to drop the pan but just open a drain plug.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:06 PM

well because i don't really trust aftermarket manuf. that make a wide array of replacement stock parts; most of the time i feel they lack the quality that Original Equipment have

I have also been told, that this screen in our trannies, can act sort of how the K&N filter works, debris in the filter/screen aids in trapping more debris

and i believe the only reason you should break the seal on your transmission pan is for a rebuild; just my opinion however
I've dropped the pan and changed my own trans filter screen four times now, using both OEM and aftermarket filters. Unlike an engine oil filter, you can see everything there is to see on an auto trans filter screen, and I can't say there's any real difference between the aftermarket ones and the OEM ones.

As for the debris trapping more debris...I don't really understand why that would be. In my opinion it's better to periodically remove the debris that has accumulated (if any) out of the transmission case altogether.

Dropping the trans pan isn't a big deal, just follow these rules:
1. Keep everything clean.
2. Keep everything clean.
3. Keep everything clean.

Originally Posted by Magicone69
from what i remember seeing on the org, alot were saying draining the old fluid and adding new can cause some harm. they said the atf is a detergent and theres a chance in can strip away some of the material on the clutch pucks. ive been wnating to do a tranny fluid drain and refill but after hearing how some have had problems after doing it i decided to put it off. i figured i would gradually do it like drain half, and add half new so that it isnt 100% fresh fluid, that pay help i guess if what everyone says is true.
You can only drain about half the fluid directly from the pan anyway, because there is no direct access to the fluid in the torque converter.

There is an old saying that if a trans has not had the fluid changed in a long time (like 100k miles) then you shouldn't change it because particles from the clutches are suspended in the fluid and new fluid will cause slippage or something like that. I'm inclined to believe that most of that is baloney. Fresh clean ATF makes your transmission happy.

Magikone, how many miles has it been since your last ATF change?

Anyway Jinni I would just drain the pan, change the filter, and refill. This is what I do every so often and she still shifts nice at 204,000...

Again, best of luck.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM

This was a good thread. Anybody that looks it over will learn something by accident.
Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 02:34 PM

140 bucks to flush it?! My dealership is 59.99!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 PM

it cost me $100 even from a local garage to get it drained, I didn't really notice a difference, but then again i've only had the car for 4 days before i did the drain. I'd assume fresh fluid is better than old dirty fliud, but what do I know :P
Old 03-07-2005, 06:44 PM

They really are trying to get you. First the filter isnt really even a filter, its a metal mesh that 99% of the time doesnt need to be changed. What they need to do is clean off the filter and scrape up the 2 magnets off the transmission pan and clean off all the gunk on them and get the flush done. I've seen places charge $99 around here for a full flush.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:21 PM
ruffrida24444

they told me 129 the other week from my dealership with full flush and the rest of the $hit that comes with it..

Old 03-07-2005, 07:36 PM

at the risk of sounds like a fool, I'll take that chance cause my tranny will thanks me for it.

all this talk is related mainly towards an auto tranny? I've read how to drain and refill auto tranny fluid, I know for 5 speed it is just drain and refill and enjoy a smoother shift? 5speed people dont have to go thru correct? I read the how to for draining 5speed and it was just drain and refill.

I'm just checking as I need to do a flush/refill badly as I can literally feel metal scrapping when I shift. . . need to flush in a day or so, so I gotta go buy some of this stuff. . .

Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM

MDeezy, yep all this talk is about the auto tranny...since we've got a screen that acts like a filter; don't know if the 5-speed has it

but don't get the Nissan ATF; you'll want the Nissan Gear Oil that they'll have in the parts dept. just tell em you have a 5-speed

If you're up by these parts and need a jack and tools, drop me a line
Old 03-07-2005, 08:12 PM

pretty much as easy as changing oil.. so i dont see why you guys take it in. Auto zone has a nice write up

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801f444a.jsp

if link is dead its under Repair info > Vehicle Repair Guides > General Information & Maintenance > Fluids and Lubricants > corrisponding transaxle (I linked to auto)
Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 PM

MDeezy, yep all this talk is about the auto tranny...since we've got a screen that acts like a filter; don't know if the 5-speed has it

but don't get the Nissan ATF; you'll want the Nissan Gear Oil that they'll have in the parts dept. just tell em you have a 5-speed

If you're up by these parts and need a jack and tools, drop me a line

oh yea I wont get ATF I just used that pic cause I'll get the nissan fluid since I dont have nuff time to get some sythetic fluids, I'll do that next time around cause my tranny needs this flush now.

thanks A Flood 99.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jinni97Max
I would honestly think that since my car has 200,000 miles on it (well, a coupld thousand shy of) and has never had a tranny flush -- clean the filter would have to help the performance of the transmission. Am I just crazy or
Now I'm not going to even pretend to know much about this, because my knowledge of how cars work is rudimentary at best... but how in the hell is your transmission still kicking at 200,000 miles if it's never been flushed? I've heard horror stories about people with various makes (not Maximas, actually a couple of luxury cars) who didn't have the routine-scheduled tranny flush and had their transmissions die at 70, 80, 90K miles.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by josehernandez94
Now I'm not going to even pretend to know much about this, because my knowledge of how cars work is rudimentary at best... but how in the hell is your transmission still kicking at 200,000 miles if it's never been flushed? I've heard horror stories about people with various makes (not Maximas, actually a couple of luxury cars) who didn't have the routine-scheduled tranny flush and had their transmissions die at 70, 80, 90K miles.
I've only changed my auto trans fluid twice and it's still going at 210k miles.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 AM

it's just all about the condition of the fluid, if you drive sanely your fluid will stay pink for a good while

but if you beat on the thing, its real easy to cause excess heat and ruin your fluid
Old 03-08-2005, 04:43 PM

I dropped and cleaned the pan, and changed the screen this past weekend. I am at 97K miles. I added synthetic ATF (5.5 quarts)... not having a clue to the last 90000 miles of maintenance history. Is mixing with/chanfing to synthetic safe to do with high mileage?
Also, I took the magnets out and they appeared to be chipping while I had them in my hand cleaning them... are they fragile????
Old 03-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg

word i remember i brought some pre gapped ngk spark plugs to be installed at what ppl told me was a good auto shop and the guy charged me like $100 and when i handed the spark plug he went to go check the gap they plugs need. i told him it was pregaped to spec, then he jsut looked at me and said "its never pregapped right, i got to re gap them" i was like wtf? y did i jsut pay like $5 more for these then and ngk is lying to me and everyone else? he went pretended to look at some stuff on his computer and installed my plugs without re-gapping them and since then i never payed to go to a mechanic again

flushing your atf isnt that bad at all, get like 12 quarts of syn atf, buy a new filter, pan gasket, and a tube of thread sealer and your set to go