4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
You can remove the harness and check resistance between the electrodes. If you can get in there.

Or you remove the sensor and check the resistance that way
Why? Can you say taking the VERY long road.

When he can just check his ECU codes. Remember, the knock sensor even if its bad will NOT always trip the light, however the code IS in the ECU.

So Doc, what you do is check the stickies up top that tell you how to check your ECU and read the codes. If you get a 0505 your great... if you get an 0304 then you have a bad knock sensor. It only takes 5 minutes.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Why? Can you say taking the VERY long road.

When he can just check his ECU codes. Remember, the knock sensor even if its bad will NOT always trip the light, however the code IS in the ECU.

So Doc, what you do is check the stickies up top that tell you how to check your ECU and read the codes. If you get a 0505 your great... if you get an 0304 then you have a bad knock sensor. It only takes 5 minutes.
He asked how a mechanic can check the knock sensor. I answered the guy's question.

The codes on the ECU doesn't necessarily mean the part is bad. Sometimes you get a temperamental ECU that throws a code but when you reset it, the code never comes back. Like with me and my MAF sensor right now. I know nothing is wrong but the CEL light is on. I'll let the hemmorhoid in the ECU calm down a little before I reset it.

Sometimes you get a code. There is nothing wrong with the sensors. Turns out the ECU is bad.

Moral of the story. Dont always go by just the ECU. Always double check the sensor. Thats why they have capabilities to be tested with a voltmeter.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
He asked how a mechanic can check the knock sensor. I answered the guy's question.

The codes on the ECU doesn't necessarily mean the part is bad. Sometimes you get a temperamental ECU that throws a code but when you reset it, the code never comes back. Like with me and my MAF sensor right now. I know nothing is wrong but the CEL light is on. I'll let the hemmorhoid in the ECU calm down a little before I reset it.

Sometimes you get a code. There is nothing wrong with the sensors. Turns out the ECU is bad.

Moral of the story. Dont always go by just the ECU. Always double check the sensor. Thats why they have capabilities to be tested with a voltmeter.

Thanks
Your right about that... but most of the time the ECU SHOULD be able to pick up on indifferences in voltage.. which would cause the CEL to come on. But that is the SURE way to test the knock sensor. And the harness... which tends to go out as well.