4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

*ALL 5spd owners* how low does your clutch pedal let out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 PM

*ALL 5spd owners* how low does your clutch pedal let out?

hey havent posted in a but becuase my cars in the shop, just got the control arm today from ebay. looks really nicely made.

my question is how do your like your clutch feel?
-when it lets out REALLY low
-when it lets out low
-when it lets out high

i specifically like mine super low so there is about and inch of movement from when it enganges to when it disengages. I also feel that this effects the feel of the shift in many ways. i think the lower the faster the shift.

my friend got a brand new VW gti 1.8t and i drove it today. the clutch let out sooo high it was gross. do you think all cars have that simple adujstment bolt on the pedal that changes it?

post however you feel about this topic.

word.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Sin

Originally Posted by exit10
hey havent posted in a but becuase my cars in the shop, just got the control arm today from ebay. looks really nicely made.

my question is how do your like your clutch feel?
-when it lets out REALLY low
-when it lets out low
-when it lets out high

i specifically like mine super low so there is about and inch of movement from when it enganges to when it disengages. I also feel that this effects the feel of the shift in many ways. i think the lower the faster the shift.

my friend got a brand new VW gti 1.8t and i drove it today. the clutch let out sooo high it was gross. do you think all cars have that simple adujstment bolt on the pedal that changes it?

post however you feel about this topic.

word.
Well a lot of it has to do with how much friction material you have left in your clutch. As the clutch material wears out, it goes from free to engaged much higher in the travel. As it is worn, eventually, the point of engagement gets much lower.

Supposedly, the 4th gen clutch is self-adjusting though.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 AM

That screw is not the only way to adjust it. You mess with that screw long enough and your cluthc will be all messed up. I had it to the point of barely engaging. A knowledgable mechanic adjusted mine and somehow has just beeen perfect for over a year. I think he did something other than turn that screw.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:14 AM

an inch untill it starts to catch?? wow, mines like i dunno....from the floor, its about 3 inches till it starts and maybe 2 more inches untill its all the way caught, then another bit untill its right out. or somehting. i know mine has a long travel though...i just dont know how to customize this stuff...i drove a like, 88 f150 pickup and it was so nasty. like 10 inches of travel. almost as much of a pain as mine is.
i had a feeling that if i went looking for that adjustment bolt...i would mess somehting up. so i havent even tried. anybody know if its pretty safe to mess around with it?
i dont want to adjust the clutch for less travel and find out that im driving with it half way open all the time. eeeeeh...
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM

im pretty sure that bolt is just pedal adjustment. mabey someone that knows can tell us.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:46 PM

mine lets out a lil bit below half way so like 40% out ??? lol idk... i like it like that because i think it lets u feel ur car alot more than u would if it wud engage like an inch from the floor....my friends' boosted 240 lets out like an inch from the floor so its practically impossible to slall it.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:20 PM

I'm actually curious also. I test drove a 96 5speed today that I might purchase and the clutch didn't catch right away like my 3rd gen did. I was slipping the clutch horribly in every gear change is was aweful, mainly because I was so used to not having such a long throw clutch pedal. I don't mind having it engaged in the upper regions of the pedal, but having to press the clutch all the way near the bottom to engage a gear is different for me. IIRC there is a sticky up above to adjust the clutch?