4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blown airbags, airbag cover ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Blown airbags, airbag cover ideas?

Ok, well I got into an accident about exactly a year ago today... Blew both bags and all that fun stuff. Made a large investment into Maxine, and she is back to normal.... but for the last year I have been rocking a tv up where the passenger air bag was, and to be honest it looks clean, but I have 4 other tv's and it looks like I am trying to hard. I guess my questions would be #1 has anyone been in an accident and didn't replace the airbag, and if so what did you do to the airbag location? Can you get just the factory cover for them? I tried Hicks Airbag Covers and got one that fit like a fiberglass body kit from Mexico.... Just looking for ideas. Thanks fellas/ladies!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 PM

ps2 fits perfect in there, i know that.
since you already have a few t.v.'s, put a ps2 in place of the airbag and make it look good.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Custom User Title...

why not just get some airbags and be safe?

someone posted pics a while back of his interior and had aluminum covers over them. that looked pretty good and matched his dash, not sure how he did it exactly though.

or you could make it like most new minivans and add a storage shelf area and make a custom hatch over it...i'm sure you could get creative with that.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:04 PM

My bags are blown I bought the car cheap that way. They put the passenger sidecover back on but it isn't aligned right, theres a noticable gap. How do u take the cover off? I was thinking about putting something in place of it or trying to get it to fit right. thanx
Old 03-17-2005, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Jepht20]why not just get some airbags and be safe? [QUOTE]

I doubt you checked, but the cost of the bags aren't really too bad for replacement, but the module that monitors the bags IS. I have a 1995 Max with 183,000 miles and when the insurance guy totaled the car and gave me like $3600 for it, I wasn't looking to put the $3600 back into the airbag so the big pile of junk you see coming down the road is 'safe'. I put the money plus about $2800 of my money into making it look right. I just figured being cars came without them for 50 years, I would be ok if I wore my seat belt. IMO Airbags are ridiculous anyways.... The accident I was in was a 30mph tbone, and the bags blew. I was wearing my seltbelt and had the friggin airbags NOT gone off, I would have been perfectly fine, but being they did go off, I had neck, back, and shoulder issues. I understand in a MAJOR MAJOR accident they can and have saved lives, but if they go off for every minor accident if you hit the right part of the maxima, it is a joke, waste of money, and waste of dash, windshield, steering wheel, hours of time at hospital and physical therapy, and the smell in the car....OMG that smell stays FOR A LONG LONG TIME.... Oh and I guess I shouldn't forget the air bag burns on my neck and forearm.... So I guess my point is, air bags aren't always the 'safe' way to operate a vehicle. Stick with the seatbelts, worked for years!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jepht20
why not just get some airbags and be safe?

---------------------------------
Old 03-17-2005, 01:15 PM

I think I had Post Traumatic Stress after I was in an accident where the airbags went off. All my friend did was bump into a curb! There wasn't even any visible damage on the outside of her Neon. But the newer airbags are safer and are not supposed to go off as easily as the old ones. Cars manufactured from 1998 on should have second generation airbags. Just make sure you sit far enough back from the steering wheel (I think they say about 10 inches) and have your hands positioned the proper way (which I guess can be hard to do if you're in a panic situation). The modules are pretty expensive though. I was broad sided in my previous 98 Maxima (which had side airbags) and the damage added up to about $8000 Canadian, a large portion for the sensors/module. Even though they still kind of scare me, I just feel safer knowing that if I am in a larger scale crash the airbags are there and may save my life.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my crashed maxima didn't have the airbags deployed, if you name the price, I can remove from my car and ssend it to you.

IF that is possible. ?!?!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Guinader
my crashed maxima didn't have the airbags deployed, if you name the price, I can remove from my car and ssend it to you.

To be honest, 90% of any vehicle, you can do your own maintenance and work just by learning a little. Another 9%, you should get a mechanic, but can do yourself if you are very well versed.

The last 1%. Yea, those are the airbags. It's one of a small handful of systems on cars that you really shouldn't touch.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Guinader

I guess I am torn... Part of me loves the idea, and nothing will look as good as a factory airbag, however I don't want you getting your head ripped off on my conscience. I guess it is up to you.... Only wires you need to be extra careful of and disconnect first are the ones that have the yellow loom over them. Those are the no no wires. If you are not someone that is fluent on working on electrical/mechanical stuff, I would honestly rather drive around with an ugly dash, than know you hurt/killed yourself from doing ME a favor. Let me know if you have the knowledge and know how to be careful and do it. Removing it isn't very hard, just requires taking off the glove compartment, but I am not gonna give detailed instructions cause I just don't feel fully comfortable doing so.... In case.... So let me know how you are feeling then we can discuss money...

Thanks by the way for offering!