4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which is the best short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Which is the best short shifter

There is:

Custom enterprise
Courtesy Nissan's short shifter
stillen
B&M
and probably others.

Which one is the best in your opinion (aside from price) and why?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Someone posted a while back when they bought an aftermarket sport shifter.

They noticed all it was was a shortened stock shifter with a cut top and threads cut on the end.

I'd just cut the thing and get an aftermarket shift ****. Save $ it does the same thing
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 PM

I got my Nismo sts off ebay for $30 + ship it is a sweet piece but you will never see it once its installed so as long as it works properly, it doesn't matter which one you get. I had to get a new bolt though, the stock bolt didn't fit.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I Broke OT

Can anyone else speak up about the STS?? I'm wondering which one feels the best, which fits the best, and which one is the best deal? thanks for the input.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM

i have a Pacesetter STS and its very nice since its adjustable. The only problem i have is that 3rd is sometimes hard to get into. All other gears, including reverse are great.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 PM

Stillen would be best..
Old 04-03-2005, 11:32 PM

dont get the custom enterprise, i have it, and its ok for the short throws and adjustability, but it hits the shifter trim in 1, 3, and 5 gear. while racing one time, shifting into 3rd, i cracked the shifter trim, and also the shifter feels really notchy.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:59 PM

I ordered mine from custommaxima works fine
Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Old Maxima Legend

the courtesy nissan sts is the best ! very high quality shifts like a dream, better than 350z, mazda rx8, impreza wrx and especially stock shifter ! i had test driven all those cars around the time i had the new sts installed. no trouble finding gears if anything its easier than stock...!

i was really worried about not being able to find gears or missing shifts but no worries here ! MINT !
Old 04-04-2005, 12:51 AM
SomePsychoGuy

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaShortShifter

B&M is supposed to be the best. The new Courtesy one is supposed to be a cheaper clone of the B&M so if you want to save a few bucks then try it.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 AM

I got one off ebay from cosmo racing and it works great.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:08 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Nismo doesn't make a short shifter. Never buy anything Nismo from ebay; it will be fake. I learned that the hard way too. My friend called me saying that he found a nismo radiator cap for like $15 or so. I got it and saw that it was an aftermarket 1.3bar cap that came with a nismo sticker that you can put on. Oh well it works.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:54 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Stillen

Originally Posted by the chariot
no trouble finding gears if anything its easier than stock...!
Thats not saying much stock had absolutely no designation to a gear you just knew forward lean was 1,3, or 5 in my car and back was hopefully not reverse.

I went with the stillen due to a deal and am pretty satisfied. It drops a couple inches and considerably reduces throw of the stocker. It adds a this is first, this is second feel to the throws, and can be shortened further while still maintaining the shortened distance, this will increase the effort put into shifting, which is just slightly above stock as well.

the downside is that the throw is not adjustable, but I would be damned if i was going through the nightmare of dropping that damn rusty bolted cat again to adjust something on this thing.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:26 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I definitely want to get one of these, I'm definitely trying to kill 2 birds with one stone though, do a y pipe and short shifter change at the same time.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:34 AM
renatonetmail

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
I definitely want to get one of these, I'm definitely trying to kill 2 birds with one stone though, do a y pipe and short shifter change at the same time.
I have to replace my clutch and flywheel and I just got a deal for a Pacesetter since they are adjustable and I am gonna do everything in a shot as well... Means i might have my baby parked the whole weekend. oh well... I am definitely banging and bending the sh*t out of that heatshield since am lowering the sh*t out of the shifter.... LOL. I am also gonna good some sh*ting good looking boots from http://www.redlinegoods.com/MaximaA32product.shtm

Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM
I Broke OT

for all sts, does the cat heat shield need to be banged down? is it bad to remove it? anyone had bad experience with this?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:23 PM

i had to bang down the cat shield, but only a small amount, still clears the cat by 2-3 inches after being banged down a little bit.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I Broke OT

ok, thanks. i'm also planning on changing the shifter at the same time as the y-pipe. (side note: does anyone know if taking out the cat, ora y-pipe that eliminates the pre-cats is still legal for auto-x?)
Old 04-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by maximazation
dont get the custom enterprise, i have it, and its ok for the short throws and adjustability, but it hits the shifter trim in 1, 3, and 5 gear. while racing one time, shifting into 3rd, i cracked the shifter trim, and also the shifter feels really notchy.
Man i have the same one with all the problems above and it did the exact same thing! >< Cracked my trim at the track shifting to 3rd. Totally not happy with this STS...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM

...STS is just
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
Nismo doesn't make a short shifter. Never buy anything Nismo from ebay; it will be fake. I learned that the hard way too. My friend called me saying that he found a nismo radiator cap for like $15 or so. I got it and saw that it was an aftermarket 1.3bar cap that came with a nismo sticker that you can put on. Oh well it works.
So it was fake? It had the Nismo stamped/engraved right on it. Colors matched real Nismo insignia. How can people get away w/this w/out having legal problems w/Nismo? This is false advertising & misrepresentaion!!! I don't believe this quite yet but more info will help. I think there is a difference between a radiator cap w/a Nismo sticker & a performance part w/Nismo engraved in the part. I also had minor probs w/the heat shield but just bent it to clear.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Seximus Maximus
Man i have the same one with all the problems above and it did the exact same thing! >< Cracked my trim at the track shifting to 3rd. Totally not happy with this STS...
yea, its a POS. im putting my stock flag pole shifter back on this weekend.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Besides the Pacesetter, do any of the sts's change the throw and height?

Anyone else besides SuperFishstick that has the Pacesetter and has trouble getting into 3rd?

James
Old 04-05-2005, 06:06 AM

I have a pacesetter STS for over a year now and have had no problems.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 AM

B&M works for me , it was hard to get 3rd but after while it broke itself in. it does not hit the shifter trim and the height and look are awsome it has like 40% reduction in throw love it
Old 04-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nismomax98
B&M works for me , it was hard to get 3rd but after while it broke itself in. it does not hit the shifter trim and the height and look are awsome it has like 40% reduction in throw love it
Thanks for the input.

Is thier any adjustability to the B&M? Throw or height?

James
Old 04-05-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Thanks for the input.

Is thier any adjustability to the B&M? Throw or height?

James
no thats the only draw back but the 40% throw reduction over stock is perfect for street and strip
height its lower than stock dont know exact # but about 2-3inches u can cut it more but not nessesary
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

no thats the only draw back but the 40% throw reduction over stock is perfect for street and strip
height its lower than stock dont know exact # but about 2-3inches u can cut it more but not nessesary
Cool. Good info. Few more questions for ya...

Does the B&M replace the nylon bushings at the lower pivot point of the shifter with industrial grade, rubber sealed bearings? Also, does it include an inner brace bushing to ensure the bearings will spin freely?

Thanks again.

James
Old 04-05-2005, 09:00 AM

yes it comes with everthing make sure to grease it thats why mine was little hard at the beginning to shift but it broke itself in. I had it for 6 months and it shifts like a dream, also its very "beefy" lol with the round shift **** that comes with it nice for hard shifting ur hand doesnt slip of the shifter
Old 04-05-2005, 09:28 AM

I used this:

to get this:

You can make it as short as you want just can't make it longer! No bolting issues and it's free! You're probably going to use an aftermarket **** anyways.

Did I mention it's FREE
Old 04-05-2005, 09:39 AM

true its short but not true short shifter
looks only its the best option
Old 04-05-2005, 09:43 AM

For anyone who's looking for an option other than the ones listed check out this link:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393943

We just released a new shifter for the 4th gen Maxima.

There are no issued with hitting the shifter trim, shifting is GREATLY improved over the stock part.

Thanks,

Karel
TWM Performance
www.twmperformance.com
Old 04-05-2005, 09:59 AM

true its short but not true short shifter
looks only its the best option
What? "true its short but not true short shifter" LOL come on! We all know there are so many products made out there just to make a buck
Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Hooooooonda.....

PAREDLINE obviously has no clue about what he's talking about. A cut shifter barely makes a shift shorter. An STS makes the shift much shorter. I drove in SUPERFISHSTICK's car and in that thing goes into gear with so fast it's not funny. JBLINGA, NISMO doesn't make STSs for the max, you just bought a cheap aluminum stick. MAXRB8 you also have no clue if you think that cutting it makes a difference. I cut mine 2-3 inches and noticed almost nothing.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:42 AM

a cut short shifter doesn't do anything but make shifting more difficult because you have less leverage to pull the shifter the same distance. when you cut the shifter you're cutting above the pivot point, not affecting the length of the shift at all. the point of the short shifter, is below the ball (pivot point) it's longer requiring the linkage to travel a shorter distance engaging the gear quicker. a cut shifter does nothing but look good.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
bad mama jama

a cut shifter will give you shorter throws, but not by much. It will also make it a whole lot harder to shift because of the loss of leverage.

I bought the Custom Maxima shifter about a year ago...it's still in the box. Biggest pain in the a** to install. I have to cut out the cat just to get to it (although i guess that's the case with any sts)
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
PAREDLINE obviously has no clue about what he's talking about. A cut shifter barely makes a shift shorter. An STS makes the shift much shorter. I drove in SUPERFISHSTICK's car and in that thing goes into gear with so fast it's not funny. JBLINGA, NISMO doesn't make STSs for the max, you just bought a cheap aluminum stick. MAXRB8 you also have no clue if you think that cutting it makes a difference. I cut mine 2-3 inches and noticed almost nothing.
Oh sorry God, you cut 2-3 inches and noticed nothing? That's a good thing in some respects, I just didn't like the truck like length, I had no problems with the way it shifted so I didn't see the need personally for a STS, and I got to position it to a height that conformed with my seating position and size etc. You could try to use some etiquette when addressing people, but I guess you haven't taken that course yet! Try treating people with respect and they'll do the same, you are no better than anyone else
Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 AM
2060lbs and falling...

B&M clearly has the best rep and to me it is clear that they are excellent for the Max. They are also the most expensive(Actually I don't know about Stillen) Mine hits the trim going into reverse but I'm using the auto trim piece. I'm actually really suprised and happy that it doesn't hit anymore. I don't want to get a new wood trim piece because it won't match. I know if I had a 5Spd trim it wouldn't hit. VQuick has a B&M and his doesn't hit(He was 5Spd stock) I concure that third was testy at first but its broken in a lot in only 300 miles. I now have no problem with a power 2-3 shift.

Why mess with bending and denting the heatsheild when you can remove it? This will save weight, make future exhaust/shifter work easier and eliminate one more source of rattling. If you're worried about the heat you really shouldn't be. I have been running for 10K with none of the exhaust heat sheilding. I've had zero problems with it. Only if you're boosted would I worry about it. For this reason I'm thinking of getting my exhaust ceramic coated.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
renatonetmail

Originally Posted by Broaner
Why mess with bending and denting the heatsheild when you can remove it? This will save weight, make future exhaust/shifter work easier and eliminate one more source of rattling. If you're worried about the heat you really shouldn't be. I have been running for 10K with none of the exhaust heat sheilding. I've had zero problems with it. Only if you're boosted would I worry about it. For this reason I'm thinking of getting my exhaust ceramic coated.
Anyone else tried this?... I was thinking about the exact same thing once I put my DAMN low Peacesetter STS. (They even say on the instructtions if I put it on the lowest setting i have to open a hole on the shield. Might as well remove the darn thing.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jblinga
I got my Nismo sts off ebay for $30 + ship it is a sweet piece but you will never see it once its installed so as long as it works properly, it doesn't matter which one you get. I had to get a new bolt though, the stock bolt didn't fit.
Nismo doesnt make anything for the maxima. Dont be fooled. A friend of mine bought the nismo ebay shifter and it broke two days later not to mention cracking the console trim. I drove it and it feels like the shifter bends when you shift. I have the b&m and it is by far the best. 1 piece billet and no worrys when you are shifting hard, def. worth the money.

Quick Reply: Which is the best short shifter