4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My review of sylvania silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:05 AM
VIP Maxima

My review of sylvania silverstars

I've wanted whiter and brighter bulbs for a longgggggg time but i always knew that none of these regular "ricer" bulbs would do it, so i never bothered to waste the money and planned to get HID's till few nights ago when one of my headlights went out. seemed like a good time to upgrade from the stock bulbs and give the silverstars a try. so i paid 40 bux for the fogs and 30 bux for the headlights, put them on and all i can tell u is that they are slightly whiter than the OEM bulbs. 10 out of 10 people wouldnt even believe you if you told them that they arent OEM bulbs because they look just like OEM bubls. you can only tell a slight difference when comparing them side by side.

the only good thing about these bulbs is that they DO improve the visibility by a very noticeable amount. visibility improves in both the distance ahead of u and around you. but overall, it depends on what you want, if you want more visibility then go for it, if you want the HID look, dont even bother.

final conclusion : $70 for heads and fogs isnt worth the improvement.

ill snap pics using cell phone if anyone is interested.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
but overall, it depends on what you want, if you want more visibility then go for it, if you want the HID look, dont even bother.
So, I should ask myself, "Am I a ricer, or am I interested in a product that actually improves my vehicle's performance in some way?"
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

If he's not careful, the floor boards will blow out

Originally Posted by mzmtg
So, I should ask myself, "Am I a ricer, or am I interested in a product that actually improves my vehicle's performance in some way?"
Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
VIP Maxima

well, by the way they are advertised, one would think that they improve visibility AND give you that white HID look. this is clearly shown on the product box but infact they arent any brighter than OEM bulbs. thats all im saying....

Old 03-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Silverstars were the worst bulb I ever used. Actual usable light on the road was horrable and nonexistant in the rain or on wet roadways. The headlights had nice color to them, but thats about all I got out of them.

Best bulb ever for actual usable light thrown down onto the road is the Sylvania Extravision. Nothing even comes close to lighting up the road as well as those bulbs do. Those who have converted to the 9007 bulbs know even more so exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM

yea DEATH TO SILVERSTARS i had both bulbs blow within 7 months of buying them and i dont even drive at night that much
Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Silverstars were the worst bulb I ever used. Actual usable light on the road was horrable and nonexistant in the rain or on wet roadways. The headlights had nice color to them, but thats about all I got out of them.

Best bulb ever for actual usable light thrown down onto the road is the Sylvania Extravision. Nothing even comes close to lighting up the road as well as those bulbs do. Those who have converted to the 9007 bulbs know even more so exactly what I'm talking about.
how do the extravisions look in the headlight assembly, according to sylvania, they are yellowish but produce same light as silverstars

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...on/default.htm

Old 03-31-2005, 12:12 PM

well, I can safely say that from the OEM bulbs that are 9 years old, the 9004 Silverstars are amazing. You all need to understand that no 9004-9007 bulb will give you a HID appearance, seeing as how HIDs are not white, but blue/purple in certain angles. Extreme white is the best you can get without an HID setup and Silverstars are the best at accomplishing this.

Granted, many .orgers have testified that they poop out quick. I just swapped from my original ones to silverstars 2 days ago. My uncle changed his the same day from the Silverstar he bought 14 months ago. So, I guess that a lot of Silverstars have manufacturer defects, but you can always get another set free, should something happen (Walmart).

I just want to put it out there that Silverstars greatly improve visibility from stock bulbs and also do a great job at getting rid of the yellow, replacing it with an almost PURE white.

Just my $.02
Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 PM

I must agree with everyone about the silverstars when I put them in i felt like i was being punked. They looked like the OEM bulbs. I had put them in outside of advanced autoparts when I bought them and took them right back out and got my money back. But like 98MikeXimaSE said it depends on what you want and I want want the HID look.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Best bulb ever for actual usable light thrown down onto the road is the Sylvania Extravision. Nothing even comes close to lighting up the road as well as those bulbs do.

That's what I roll wit:
Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 PM

I really like the silverstars, greatly improved stock lighting. My 1st set the right bulb was all screwed up and noticeably darker then the left...so yes there are some quality issues, but I called Sylvannia and they sent me 2 free bulbs.

Looking at mzmtg's extravisions however makes me want to get a pair of those next...those look nicer then silverstars.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 PM

Ive had them for almost a year now, and you wouldnt even know you had headlights when its raining with these things. Great color to them, but Im more a fan of seeing and not dying in rain.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM

extravisions aye?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rsly33
Ive had them for almost a year now, and you wouldnt even know you had headlights when its raining with these things. Great color to them, but Im more a fan of seeing and not dying in rain.
No offense but if you are worried about dying in the rain b/c of your silverstars you should've:

A) after a year switched your bulbs along time ago or

B) get off the road so you do not smash into me
Old 03-31-2005, 04:30 PM
brotherhood of tq

yea tom is right, those bulbs looks great when im facing my car but while im in my car i get a horrible light out put. also in the rain they suck.

thats y after buying 3 sets of them i did the smart thing and bought cefiros and the regular bulb looks better and light up the road in ways my silverstars never could
Old 03-31-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

All "HID", "HYPER WHITE", "BLUE COATED" bulbs are just a huge waste of money.

That's what I roll wit:
Ben I thought you has Cool Blues?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:01 PM
UCF Lexus

Maybe I got lucky - Im pretty satisfied w/ the Silverstars. Had them about 8 months, still bright
Old 03-31-2005, 05:03 PM

i have had my Silverstars for over a year. the Max is the 3rd car they have been through since i bought them. i like the greater visibility over OEM, except for when it is wet out.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ja1997max
No offense but if you are worried about dying in the rain b/c of your silverstars you should've:

A) after a year switched your bulbs along time ago or

B) get off the road so you do not smash into me

Hahahahahaha!!!!!! That's funny man!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM

I got my Silverstars at VIP, do they also have these Extravisions too? It's been a while since I've looked for headlight bulbs. How much are they too?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think that Silverstars are that bad. But they are not 20 a pop good. Mine have lasted for a while, but I wouldn't replace them at that price.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:26 PM

its all about the Nokya bulbs from SPW....buy them once and never go back to anything else.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:02 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Bump on Nokya...I actually like rice.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:03 PM

what is the best? piaa xtremes, nokyas, or the silverstars?

I know the kokyas are supposed to be the ricest in color...they only offer 5000K and up right? and the piaa xtremes are something like 41 or 4200K right?

I just want a bulb that matches the color of the polarg hyper white cornering lights from custom maxima...they are kinda white/blue lighting

what would you guys suggest....my current silverstars don't match them...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:20 PM

halogens........ha
Old 03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
JoeB

I've had silverstars in my Bronco about 3yrs now and no problems with them yet. I like the whiter color. I put them in my Max about 3 months ago and they made a huge difference in light output. But then again I did a 9007 conversion and put in 97-99 headlights in at the same time.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM

silverstars are the salme old halogen bulbs. same ugly yellow color. my opinion is that it's not even close to the HID look
Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 PM

nah, silverstars are not yellow. just a nice, crisp white. granted, they are not blue or purple of the HIDS, but they are the best alternative to an expensive setup.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 PM

I liked the Silverstar's color better than OEM, but the lifespan is garbage.

My buddy just took a gamble on bulbs from Luminics (www.luminicsbulbs.com/nissan.html) for his Mazdaspeed Protege - cheaper than Silverstars (only $25 per pair), one-year warranty, and I can vouch for their color... they actually do a pretty good job of replicating the HID look, just not as bright and intense. I believe he actually went w/ the ultra violet bulbs, not hyper white. I plan on trying their yellow H3's for my fogs ($30 per pair).

I can't yet vouch for their longevity, but my initial review is thumbs up. Besides, the one-year warranty covers your **** in case they die quickly.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM

wht about these off of ebay, $39.99

in 9007's of course
Old 03-31-2005, 07:53 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i had them in my fogs and they went in under a month.....wet visablity really sucks as said before....
Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 PM

Lasted about 6 months for me, then both burned out within a month...kinda crappy, but they were bright while they lasted. This time I listened to smarter people and got Xtravisions
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 PM

Bro dont even bother putting those ****iest blue bulbs,that HID's wanna be, i got installed my HID kit 4 days ago im very happy with them visibility much better and better looks
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 PM

I went thru 3 pairs in less then two years....got tired of changing them and just put OEMs back on. Now by seeing that I spent $150 on Silverstars and couldn't see **** under wet conditions for 2 years decide to either stay with OEM or upgrade to projectors.
In the long time I will thank myself
Old 03-31-2005, 11:13 PM

silverstars are weak. fogs or headlights. i had them both. i went to PIAA Xtreme white, and those were the best halogen bulbs i ever had on any car ive had. but once i went with HIDs, i'll never look back. any car ill have after the max, it will have to have HIDs. Halogens<<<HIDs<<<HIDs with projectors. thats how i see it
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 PM

Silverstars aren't too bad for me either. Surely more reliable then other bulbs I've had in the past. But definitely not worth what they cost at PepBoys or Autozone.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 AM

my silverstars have lasted a year so far....I love the color (very crisp white) and light output is much better over stock...the low beams are nothing impressive, but the high beams certainly are! they look almost like HID's in a sense...either way, wet visibility is indeed horrible....now I just want a headlight that will match the color of my polarg hyper white cornering lights I have off of custom maxima...I think the next bulb I will try is the PIAA's or a nokya's...
Old 04-01-2005, 12:33 AM

:wave: four letters, 1 word: PIAA Best damn lights Compared to OEM ones, its like day and ... lets just say OEM color looks like a **** to me now =/ (that yellowish look)

So if u'r not getting HIDs, get PIAAs
Old 04-01-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by eckohb
silverstars are weak. fogs or headlights. i had them both. i went to PIAA Xtreme white, and those were the best halogen bulbs i ever had on any car ive had. but once i went with HIDs, i'll never look back. any car ill have after the max, it will have to have HIDs. Halogens<<<HIDs<<<HIDs with projectors. thats how i see it
+1

Also, if you retrofit oem projectors, they will last a lifetime. Ie. one time cost. Think about replacing 30 dollars crappy aftermarket halogens every year for 10 years. That's what I paid for my entire HID system (370 shipped with the bezel, extra plugs, that aren't totally necessary). You can even get entire Hella systems for less than 215 nowadays.

There is NO comparision between a HID projector system and halogens, no matter which one. I will NEVER go back. My next car HAS to have projector HID's, they are that good.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan
+1

Also, if you retrofit oem projectors, they will last a lifetime. Ie. one time cost. Think about replacing 30 dollars crappy aftermarket halogens every year for 10 years. That's what I paid for my entire HID system (370 shipped with the bezel, extra plugs, that aren't totally necessary). You can even get entire Hella systems for less than 215 nowadays.

There is NO comparision between a HID projector system and halogens, no matter which one. I will NEVER go back. My next car HAS to have projector HID's, they are that good.
+1
Those bulbs are a waste of money!

Quick Reply: My review of sylvania silverstars