4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

just fixed the knock sensor...but

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 PM

just fixed the knock sensor...but

i just fixed my knock sensor. It was a biznatch to fix, only because i didnt have the right tools to get in there. Anyway... i was wondering, after you replace it, are you actually supposed to hear your engine knock? I heard something like it when i took it out for a drive. also my engine seems to make these loud noises at 1st and 2nd gear. is this normal? after the drive i came back and rechecked the ecu code ( i reset it before i went out) and I got 0505, which im assuming everything is good. any input will be appreciated....thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 01:06 PM

oh and i forgot....i first got 1005 after i came back from the drive. then i reset it and tried again and got 0505.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 PM

Help please... check engine light just came on it codes for 1005. And car is really loud... makes weird noises at low gears. Please help!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:13 AM

You may have accidentally disconnected EGR solenoid valve (code 1005)..make sure its connected properly (small green connector).

Check this for help:
http://img52.photobucket.com/albums/v158/evilBIGD/EGR/
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 AM

yup...that was it. i took it off because it was getting in the way and i forgot to connect it back on. car is running nice and smooth now. thanks!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 PM

uhmm....more problems. the car is still making weird noises. it goes away when I press on the clutch but comes back when I accelerate or stay idle. it sounds like it's coming from the engine...almost as if something is scratching something. help please~
oh and where is the clutch fluid located?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:59 PM

I have a question. Sorry I had to post it in here, but they won't let me make a new tread on this site for some reason. I'm also getting a deep sound in my engine at low RPM's and I think it may be because of a bad knock sensor(the light came on and I checked the code). I took my car to the shop about a week ago and they said they think gas was mixing with my oil!!!. Could that be a head gasket problem? Help me out!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:03 PM

By the way, I have a 95GLE
Old 04-05-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by GREENlight
I have a question. Sorry I had to post it in here, but they won't let me make a new tread on this site for some reason. I'm also getting a deep sound in my engine at low RPM's and I think it may be because of a bad knock sensor(the light came on and I checked the code). I took my car to the shop about a week ago and they said they think gas was mixing with my oil!!!. Could that be a head gasket problem? Help me out!
This could be a number of things. A deep sound and low RPMs could be an engine bearing - not good! What happens at higher RPM? - your need to get a buddy to rev the engine while you pinpoint exactly where the sound is comming from. The knock sensor code/failure probably is coincidental an would not cause the symptoms you have described.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by joecraps
your need to get a buddy to rev the engine while you pinpoint exactly where the sound is comming from.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM

ok this sound is getting on my nerves....it just feels like my car is a POS because of it too. It's coming from the right of the engine, where all the EGR valves are and the ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor). I had a code for ECTS (0103) along with knock sensor. I figured knock sensor was bad and I just replaced it. so before i go on...let me specify the sound...

like i said it's coming from the right side off the engine. It sounds like something is being scratched or something and it is rhythmic. when i press on the accelerator at idle, you can hear the noise beating faster. but when I hold down the clutch the noise goes away and everything is nice and quiet.

so i don't know if bad ECTS can cause this problem or if something is wrong with my clutch....maybe it's loose and it's rubbing against something? or I found this socket with all this yellow goo on it. it's right above the green EGR solenoid valve socket. the actual socket is not connected to anything so I thought maybe it's a fuse? does anyone know what this is? anyway....if anyone knows what the problem is please help me. if not i was going to take it in to the dealer but i really don't want to spend $50/30min(labor) just for them to take a look at it. thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by joecraps
This could be a number of things. A deep sound and low RPMs could be an engine bearing - not good! What happens at higher RPM? - your need to get a buddy to rev the engine while you pinpoint exactly where the sound is comming from. The knock sensor code/failure probably is coincidental an would not cause the symptoms you have described.

The car drives fine at high RPM's, but I still hear the sound just a little bit louder. I hope I don't need a new engine man. I have 140k on it.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:50 PM

One more thing, my bad maxjetblack. I know this is your post but they won't let me put up any new treads and I don't know what else to do but put it up with a some-what similar post.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 PM

throw out bearing maybe take it to a local mom pop shop
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by GREENlight
One more thing, my bad maxjetblack. I know this is your post but they won't let me put up any new treads and I don't know what else to do but put it up with a some-what similar post.
thats ok...i just wish someone can help me. it's bothering me so much. lol
Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 AM

Ok, on my way to work this morning I tried to give my engines performance a closer look. I noticed it wasn't so much the sound of the engine. It was a feeling that I felt on my foot when I pushed the gas. It was like the engine was beeting. It is most noticeable from 2000-3500 RPM's. I was a little late so I didn't get a chance to let someone rev the car up so I could listen for where the beating was coming from. But when I parked at work, I reved it up and didn't notice the beating much at all and didn't hear much of anything.

So it's not really a deep grumple, it's the beeting. HELP!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 AM

i went to the dealer and they told me my transmission is messed up. wtf!?!? i just replaced the knock sensor too. this really sucks....
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I imagine your no car expert and I understand, but there is no way anybody is going to know what is wrong with your car by your descriptions. Internet diagnostics are usually impossible unless you know what your talking about.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I imagine your no car expert and I understand, but there is no way anybody is going to know what is wrong with your car by your descriptions. Internet diagnostics are usually impossible unless you know what your talking about.
are you talking to me or GREENlight? I tried to give as specific description as possible and I was just hoping someone else had this problem too so I would know what to do. well anyway, they think my gears and bearings inside the transmission is bad. sucks~