4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Torn Rack'nPinion Boot - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 PM

Torn Rack'nPinion Boot - Suggestions?

I am currently out of town for spring break. I was under my car this morning and noticed that the rack and pinion boot was torn from both ends. Grease are all gone. This explains why I have been hearing mild sporadic thuds while turning the steering wheel. Its not bad but its noticeable when turning the wheel while trying to park. Is there a temporary remedy for this?

Appreciate the help.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes, buy and install new boots !!! I have just replaced my inner tie rods and removing the steering rack boots was a cake job , I advice on using zip ties to secure them back up. , I have a write up on page 13 on my cardomain site.

Nick.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks....looks like a piece of cake. Do you think driving the car home with the torn boot will damage anything? I don't have access to a gear puller and tools right now. I'm heading home Sunday afternoon anyway. It'll be a 300 mile drive. Hopefully things will be ok. What do you think? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by nick
yes, buy and install new boots !!! I have just replaced my inner tie rods and removing the steering rack boots was a cake job , I advice on using zip ties to secure them back up. , I have a write up on page 13 on my cardomain site.

Nick.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:54 PM

hmmm, if you plan on driving the car for over 300 miles - i would try to " jerry-rig" something temporary just to protect the steering gear from road debries and water.

you don't want to destroy the steering rack , which is PITA and $$$$ to replace

You could easly swap them out in the parking lot with the help of two jack stands and few zip ties.

take the old ones off , go to any parts store and buy some boots that will fit over your tie rods , they don't have to be perfect fit , just zip tie them on till you get home

Nick.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:54 PM

Do I need to put some grease inside before putting the boots on? Also, wouldn't I need to undo the tie rods so I can slip on the new ones or is there another way of doing this w/o disconnecting the tire rods?

Originally Posted by nick
hmmm, if you plan on driving the car for over 300 miles - i would try to " jerry-rig" something temporary just to protect the steering gear from road debries and water.

you don't want to destroy the steering rack , which is PITA and $$$$ to replace

You could easly swap them out in the parking lot with the help of two jack stands and few zip ties.

take the old ones off , go to any parts store and buy some boots that will fit over your tie rods , they don't have to be perfect fit , just zip tie them on till you get home

Nick.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:35 PM

I rented some tools to get the boots replaced. I got new replacement boots and a gear puller. I am trying to loosen the nut on the tie rod shaft. Seems like the nut and the outter tie rod is one piece!!! When I tried turning the nut with a wrench the tie rod follows. I haven't disconnected the tie rod yet with the puller, just got the cotter pin and castle nut off. I am following your how-to but I am stuck on step 6.

Please help.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:22 PM

use 13mm wreanch to hold the tie rod in place while you trying to loosen up the nut

Nick.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:47 PM

Thanks bro!!! I also sprayed WD 40 on the nut and threads of the shaft....made my life a lot easier. I'm done with one side, the next side should go smoother.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Are these the same as CV boots?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Maintenance Monster

No. They are the accordion-like boots on each end of the steering gear. They must be in good shape or else dirt will contaminate and destroy the seals of the steering rack, and fixing that is $$.

I agree with Nick, find something you can wrap with zip-ties to keep the dirt off of it until you get home. Then you'll need to rent the tie rod tool and remove the outer tie rods to slip on the new boots. Then get an alignment immediately.

Dave
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Already did all that! I got new boots now. My steering isn't making that thud noise anymore as I replenished the grease inside.

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
I agree with Nick, find something you can wrap with zip-ties to keep the dirt off of it until you get home. Then you'll need to rent the tie rod tool and remove the outer tie rods to slip on the new boots. Then get an alignment immediately.

Dave
Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Did you put them in yourself? How much do you think a mechanic would charge?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:56 AM

It's easy to do. I followed Nick's instructions at page 13 of his cardomain page. The only thing that took longer for me to do is removing the wire on the inner ends of each boots, I didn't have a wire cutter that will fit in there. The space inside is very tight and cramped especially the passenger side. There's very little space to get any tool in there. You just need a lot of time and patience to undo the wire that keeps that end of the boot secure. I just slowly twisted off the wire, I was wearing mechanics glove for obvious reasons. W/o it, my had would have been cut badly. Watch out for the passenger side especially, my hand barefly fit inside to get to the wire clamp.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:45 PM

what kind of grease did you use? and how much?