4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JWTvs GUPRD ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 04:05 AM

OK...
The group purchase is about done for the UPRD ECU.
How about a survey of those who got it?

Also, does anyone have a JWT?
How about your feedback?

I have tried to search for previous posts that had some performance criteria on these ECUs but no luck.
I was looking for specifications on what the ECU mods actually are...timing change, speed limiter, ect...(JWT does not answer emails about this)
Also, I have not been able to find any other dyno charts other than the original sales pitch made for UPRD made by Chesbo.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:48 AM
robert@gforce

To clarify things, G-Force developed the Maxima ECU back in 1996 using a custom Techtom Romboard (JWT uses his own design).
UPRD bought GForce.
GForce was part of UPRD when Cheston helped up with the ECU GP.
UPRD closed (a new UPRD has since been reborn with diff owners).
Now GForce is back in our old pre-UPRD facility.

So the upgrade really should be known as a G-Force upgrade.

I am trying to get specs, photos and graphs finishd and up on the GForce site. Sorry for the lack of available info.

Until then drop me a fax number if you would like and I'll send a pile of graphs over.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-08-2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by robert@gforce
To clarify things, G-Force developed the Maxima ECU back in 1996 using a custom Techtom Romboard (JWT uses his own design).
UPRD bought GForce.
GForce was part of UPRD when Cheston helped up with the ECU GP.
UPRD closed (a new UPRD has since been reborn with diff owners).
Now GForce is back in our old pre-UPRD facility.

So the upgrade really should be known as a G-Force upgrade.

I am trying to get specs, photos and graphs finishd and up on the GForce site. Sorry for the lack of available info.

Until then drop me a fax number if you would like and I'll send a pile of graphs over.

Thanks,

Robert
Can you list your fax number and url? thanks.

-V
Old 05-08-2001, 11:31 AM

BTW, has anyone else out there tried a '96 computer in a '97? I remember Cheston @ MaximaDriver.com had problems with his MIL light tripping afterwards, and wanted to know what would need to be done to prevent that from happening before making this 'investment'.

Thanks.

-V
Old 05-08-2001, 12:05 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by vmok

Can you list your fax number and url? thanks.

-V
www.gforceengineering.com

(maxima pages are not up yet)

Email me your fax number if you would like some graphs, and with any questions.
robert@gforceengineering.com

Old 05-08-2001, 12:11 PM
robert@gforce

BTW, has anyone else out there tried a '96 computer in a '97? I remember Cheston @ MaximaDriver.com had problems with his MIL light tripping afterwards, and wanted to know what would need to be done to prevent that from happening before making this 'investment'.

Thanks.

-V
For the record we upgraded ECUs for about 5 customers for the 1996>1997 swap. Have had only good feedback so far.

I agree I would definately research it as much as possible.

Old 05-08-2001, 12:27 PM

Thanks.

-V
That would be me & cheston.. The MIL does go off.. rumor has it that a 96 o2 sensor would fix things.. that or tweakin the code to ignore that error. (against the law) ..
Old 05-08-2001, 02:06 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Any word on a 97+ specific ECU upgrade, rather than swapping ECU's. We do make up 3/5 of the 4th gen population.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Any word on a 97+ specific ECU upgrade, rather than swapping ECU's. We do make up 3/5 of the 4th gen population.
Good point! I've gotten it so ingrained in my head that it's difficult to do a '97 up that I've never thought 'bout asking. I've been talking with JWT since their '95 computers were release and I still had my '96 Auto GXE.

-V
Old 05-08-2001, 02:44 PM
robert@gforce

Good point! I've gotten it so ingrained in my head that it's difficult to do a '97 up that I've never thought 'bout asking. I've been talking with JWT since their '95 computers were release and I still had my '96 Auto GXE.

-V
We can look into it. How many potential 1997 ECU upgrade customers are out there? I know of a spare 1997 that he could possibly be available for development.
In the mean time we have an M/T and an A/T 1996 upgraded ECU in stock for sale for anyone that wants one now.

Old 05-08-2001, 02:50 PM

I may be interested in the 97 ecu upgrade.

How much $ are we talking?
Old 05-08-2001, 02:59 PM

yeah, i might be interested in the chip. i have '95, so ECU's should match up, right? anyways, does it require a core swap and how much?
Old 05-08-2001, 03:03 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by cbock
I may be interested in the 97 ecu upgrade.

How much $ are we talking?

Wont really know until we do one but for reference the 1995-6 is $595 retail and less though our GP.

Old 05-08-2001, 03:12 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by Romeo
yeah, i might be interested in the chip. i have '95, so ECU's should match up, right? anyways, does it require a core swap and how much?
The ECU is designed for the 1995. The graph below is from a long term 1995 SE customer test car with 160,000 miles on the odo.

We can upgrade your ECU or we have a 1995 5 speed for sale or we could do a swap. I can save you money through a GP we have going on now email me for more info.

Old 05-08-2001, 03:56 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

We can look into it. How many potential 1997 ECU upgrade customers are out there? I know of a spare 1997 that he could possibly be available for development.
In the mean time we have an M/T and an A/T 1996 upgraded ECU in stock for sale for anyone that wants one now.

97+ = 3/5's of us If you look at the old dyno charts Cheston posted, the stock 96 ECU made less power on his car than the stock 97. While he made the power back plus some with the mod, wouldn't it make sense that a modded 97 ecu would make even more power for 97+ cars? I don't want to have to drive around with a check engine light and reset my ECU all the time either. Just my $.02
Old 05-08-2001, 04:02 PM

Hi Robert, I am interested in the 96 A/T upgraded chip. Do you still have it for sale? If so how much please? (I live in L.A., so maybe able to pick-up)
Old 05-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Keven97SE

Don't trust that data. To get a really good snapshot of how the 96 ECU would do in a 97, or to see how any ECU would do when being installed, the car really has to be driven for a period of time, maybe hours, maybe days, I don't know for sure...but the car DOES need to relearn new parameters of the "new" engine when installed.

That also implies that the UPRD/GForce ECU dyno plot would look better had it been on the car for awhile also.

You can't just bolt in a new ECU and expect the car to be hunky dory right off the bat. You have to allow it to relearn through normal driving and time.

97+ = 3/5's of us If you look at the old dyno charts Cheston posted, the stock 96 ECU made less power on his car than the stock 97. While he made the power back plus some with the mod, wouldn't it make sense that a modded 97 ecu would make even more power for 97+ cars? I don't want to have to drive around with a check engine light and reset my ECU all the time either. Just my $.02

Old 05-08-2001, 06:00 PM

Wont really know until we do one but for reference the 1995-6 is $595 retail and less though our GP.
Thanks but out of my price range.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would like to see the tests first. I would also like to see transmission shifts to be quicker on the autos. I do own a 97 GXE and I see some good results I may be willing to do the upgrade. I already have a laptop.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:20 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by deezo

I would like to see the tests first. I would also like to see transmission shifts to be quicker on the autos. I do own a 97 GXE and I see some good results I may be willing to do the upgrade. I already have a laptop.
Hey Deezo, not exactly sure what you meant by faster shifts, but the ECU they are modifying does not control shift points, our auto tranny's have there own seperate computer for that. What they are doing on the 96 ECU's is piggy backing, or soldering another board, onto the existing ECU, and making changes to the timing, fuel maps, and I think (don't quote me) ignition, as well as removing that damn speed limiter I think this would be an awsome upgrade, especially in the midrange of the power band, I would just like to make sure that all the bugs were worked out for the 97+ and that we are getting the Max power available with our different computers. I don't think they are modifying anything you can change with a laptop, but you'd have to ask them to be sure. I think the guys are off Van Ness in Torrance, and he posted an email address and website earlier in this post. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2001, 05:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Deezo, not exactly sure what you meant by faster shifts, but the ECU they are modifying does not control shift points, our auto tranny's have there own seperate computer for that. What they are doing on the 96 ECU's is piggy backing, or soldering another board, onto the existing ECU, and making changes to the timing, fuel maps, and I think (don't quote me) ignition, as well as removing that damn speed limiter I think this would be an awsome upgrade, especially in the midrange of the power band, I would just like to make sure that all the bugs were worked out for the 97+ and that we are getting the Max power available with our different computers. I don't think they are modifying anything you can change with a laptop, but you'd have to ask them to be sure. I think the guys are off Van Ness in Torrance, and he posted an email address and website earlier in this post. Good luck.
I am still learning about these Max's. I thought the ECU under the dash controlled the transmission as well. I used to drive a V70 Turbo as well as the S320, The V70 had button controls on the center console to allow Sport modes and Econo modes for shift points. Sport mode had the shorter shift points and than econo.

The S320 didn't have buttons to control the tranny but if you drove the car hard, the computer would keep the shorter shift points in memory.

I don't know if anyone else notices this but the auto Max's feel like they don't want to down shift especially when exiting a turn.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:29 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

I've had the 96 ECU in my car now for over two month of non-resetting the ECU. everything right now seems great.
i love the power and acceleration aspects of the chip, and for the price (esp those with the 95/96) its great. cheaper than JWT, and really for those who know me, you know i tell the truth. cuz really i dont have anything to lose, just my credibility, right?

the max is a good car. but thanks to Tadashi and Robert, the max is a GREAT car..

i think it's time for another group deal, eh Rob?
--Cheston
Old 05-09-2001, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
I've had the 96 ECU in my car now for over two month of non-resetting the ECU. everything right now seems great.
i love the power and acceleration aspects of the chip, and for the price (esp those with the 95/96) its great. cheaper than JWT, and really for those who know me, you know i tell the truth. cuz really i dont have anything to lose, just my credibility, right?

the max is a good car. but thanks to Tadashi and Robert, the max is a GREAT car..

--Cheston
The dyno plots show gains but has anyone done any before/after track testing to see what the improvements are?
Old 05-09-2001, 11:11 AM
Autobahn Max

I don't know anything about the G-Force computer, but I do know a little about the JWT. I have had a 95 JWT ECU in my 97 since September, with no problems at all. The power was instantly noticeable, and it removed my top speed limiter. To me, it was worth the money I spent on it. As far as a comparison between the two, I can't help you there, sorry.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto

--Cheston
Cheston-

Didn't you say that your MIL light came on though? Did the o2 sensor from a '96 solve the problem.

Even if you give for the computer to learn the car, it isn't gonna be able to do any learning if it can't read the o2 sensor. It doesn't know how to lean it out, etc...

BTW, I went to the g-force page, and it shows that the two things that are changed are timing and fuel mappings for the max's.

-V
Old 05-09-2001, 11:32 AM
Autobahn Max

I don't know anything about the G-Force computer, but I do know a little about the JWT. I have had a 95 JWT ECU in my 97 since September, with no problems at all. The power was instantly noticeable, and it removed my top speed limiter. To me, it was worth the money I spent on it. As far as a comparison between the two, I can't help you there, sorry.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you guys can R&D a 97 specific chip, I'm definitely in. I would rather not put a 96 ECU in a 97 and have to worry about things like the Engine light.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:22 AM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by maxed up
Hi Robert, I am interested in the 96 A/T upgraded chip. Do you still have it for sale? If so how much please? (I live in L.A., so maybe able to pick-up)
Drop me an email, or call me and I can help, I have one A/T in stock.

main line 310.782.8278 9-6
Mobile 310.901.0099 anytime

Old 05-10-2001, 08:47 AM
robert@gforce

Exactly mtrai760, good job, we dont go into trans control because its a separate unit.
What they are doing on the 96 ECU's is piggy backing, or soldering another board, onto the existing ECU, and making changes to the timing, fuel maps, and I think (don't quote me) ignition, as well as removing that damn speed limiter
We upgrade the Ignition timing map and fuel map plus the speed limiter. Understandable mix up.

I think this would be an awsome upgrade, especially in the midrange of the power band, I would just like to make sure that all the bugs were worked out for the 97+ and that we are getting the Max power available with our different computers.
I agree Exactly.

I don't think they are modifying anything you can change with a laptop, but you'd have to ask them to be sure.
You are correct again.
The Maxima is one of the most, if not the most complicated and demanding upgrades that we offer. The program has to be read with a special Top Secret hand made, one in existance type reader, using Japanese OS running a propritary program. Then the Program, in intel HEX, has to be modified using or Mightly Map software, then saved. Then back into the Japanese OS program where it is RE-Scrambled and saved. Then the upgraded file is then sent to the PROM burner where it is finally put on a chip that can be plugged into a Romboard ( We plan on having pics of the whole process on our site soon).
This isnt a Honda chip!!

I think the guys are off Van Ness in Torrance

Yes right near Van Ness.
2341 W 205th street
suite 106
Torrance CA 90501

Old 05-10-2001, 09:04 AM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by maxfreak_98

The dyno plots show gains but has anyone done any before/after track testing to see what the improvements are?
Track testing is called for immediately! Any volunteers in the LA area? We would like to set something up with a couple MAX.org drivers since a aftermarket companies tests wouldnt exactly be considered unbaised.

We did get a Maxima, that shall remain nameless as not to promote a company that doesnt need any promotion, in Car and driver and even Motortrend for perf testing in 1996 that had our ECU in it. If I remember correctly the car ran well and made right over 200 ft lbs on a Dynojet.

As a side note dont forget that HP is HP so any gain will show in the MPH at least but mid-range gains dont show their best at the Dragstrip since first gear is the only time the engine swings past 3000-4000 rpm. Thats why Hondas and Acuras that are built for Drag racing have powerbands that START at 8000.

Old 05-10-2001, 02:28 PM

Jim Wolf ECU

I have a 1995 Jim Wolf ECU in my 1997 Maxima and it works great. In fact its my favorite modification. The ypipe and the ECU really compliment each other. You can feel the power once its installed. Its too bad Jim Wolf or G-Force hasnt developed a chip for the 1997+.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:40 PM

Re: Jim Wolf ECU

Originally posted by black97max
I have a 1995 Jim Wolf ECU in my 1997 Maxima and it works great. In fact its my favorite modification. The ypipe and the ECU really compliment each other. You can feel the power once its installed. Its too bad Jim Wolf or G-Force hasnt developed a chip for the 1997+.
So a '95 computer plugs right into a '97 as well? did you have any MIL problems?

ROBERT---> do you have any advice or feedback as to having the 95 GForce computer in the '97 as compared to the '96 Gforce in a '97?

black97max, did you get a chance to dyno your car?

thanks everyone.

-V
Old 05-10-2001, 03:13 PM
robert@gforce

Re: Re: Jim Wolf ECU

So a '95 computer plugs right into a '97 as well? did you have any MIL problems?

ROBERT---> do you have any advice or feedback as to having the 95 GForce computer in the '97 as compared to the '96 Gforce in a '97?

-V
No I dont, sorry. I did read an earlier post from a JWT upgrade owner that had a 1995 in a 1997 car with no problems.
1995-1997 uses the same connector for sure.

Old 05-10-2001, 04:53 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

for what its worth

I gained .2 seconds at the track.. consistantly in the 14.9's. I haven't had a chance to put it back on the dyno to see what #'s I'm pulling. BTW, the only other change (for track, not my baseline dyno) was a 2k muffler.

Track testing is called for immediately! Any volunteers in the LA area? We would like to set something up with a couple MAX.org drivers since a aftermarket companies tests wouldnt exactly be considered unbaised.

We did get a Maxima, that shall remain nameless as not to promote a company that doesnt need any promotion, in Car and driver and even Motortrend for perf testing in 1996 that had our ECU in it. If I remember correctly the car ran well and made right over 200 ft lbs on a Dynojet.

As a side note dont forget that HP is HP so any gain will show in the MPH at least but mid-range gains dont show their best at the Dragstrip since first gear is the only time the engine swings past 3000-4000 rpm. Thats why Hondas and Acuras that are built for Drag racing have powerbands that START at 8000.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:51 PM

No, I have not had my car dynoed yet.

Yes, I the mil light did come on. I am getting the ECU code 0707, Rear heated 02 sensor(Robert is this the same code the 97 max's are getting with the G-force ECU?)

After finals I am going down to the track and see what type of gains I am getting with the Jim Wolf ECU. I will do several runs with the Jim wolf ECU and several with the regular 97 ECU.
If the y-pipe yields better et times then the Jim Wolf ECU should be comparable if not better.
Only time will tell
Old 05-10-2001, 09:17 PM

robert..............

u need a dummy for track testing??????

i go to palmdale often...i got a stock time already,and ive done pretty good @ palmdale for a stock max. anyway i got a cai and ypipe now and i plan on clocking my time with these basic bolt ons for the max.
so basicly...im down!...

1995 gxe maxima automatic
Old 05-11-2001, 12:50 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by black97max

Yes, I the mil light did come on. I am getting the ECU code 0707, Rear heated 02 sensor(Robert is this the same code the 97 max's are getting with the G-force ECU?)

I havent pulled the codes personally but the '97 owners report that it is the rear 02 code that comes up on install.

Old 05-11-2001, 12:58 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by buss95max
robert..............

u need a dummy for track testing??????

i go to palmdale often...i got a stock time already,and ive done pretty good @ palmdale for a stock max. anyway i got a cai and ypipe now and i plan on clocking my time with these basic bolt ons for the max.
so basicly...im down!...

1995 gxe maxima automatic
Cool, drop me an email with contact info and we'll try to set up a day for some runs, and of course I'll bring an '95 ECU with a Romboard and a consult.
An A/T car is actually preferred because they are more consistent run to run.
I have another MAX guy with a '96 that is interested also. I have a friend that goes to LACR testing all the time so maybe we can set it up then.

Thanks,

Old 05-11-2001, 04:16 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Cool, I'm CORRECT! Thanx Robert. Hey, are you guys open on Saturdays Robert? I'm going to be in Torrance tomorrow and I wanted to drop by. Let me know, Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:50 PM
robert@gforce

Hey, are you guys open on Saturdays Robert? I'm going to be in Torrance tomorrow and I wanted to drop by. Let me know, Thanks in advance.
Not officially. Sometimes we're in catching up but not this saturday, its too nice outside!
Come by anytime during the week.

Quick Reply: JWTvs GUPRD ECU