4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

any place online to buy the following?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM

any place online to buy the following?

Throttle Position Sensor
Purge Control Valve

had diagnostics run at stealership and these came up..... or so they say... i know i have an 1008 code but they didn't say anything about it, atleast not that i know of.

said the purge control valve was on top of the fuel tank (wtf, unless it is ofcourse)

and i don't know why the tps would be bad.. unless me adjusting the throttle cables has something to do with it..

any help on these would be appreciated...

also.. i asked about the metal grinding i hear when i put in gear.. they said something inside my tranny... anyone have any idea what it could be? anything that usually goes wrong first on 96 models or anything..

thnx.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:20 PM

add an Ignition Switch to the list.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Maintenance Monster

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...cfm?siteid=840
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM

thnx...

anymore places....

and where is this "purge control valve" located
Old 04-11-2005, 08:07 PM

to page one
Old 04-12-2005, 05:16 AM

last bump to one
Old 04-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Maintenance Monster

What are you bumping for? Your thread title says you want an online parts store, and you got one.

Put each question in a separate thread with a good title and you'll get better results.

- metal grinding sounds in a manual transmission mean a bearing or synchro failure. If the grinding sound happens regardless of gear or speed, you may have the famous differential carrier bearing failure. If it's only when going into one particular gear, it's probably the synchro. You can confirm it's the synchro if double-clutching stops the grinding sound (double clutch = clutch in, shift to N, clutch out, clutch in, shift to next gear, clutch out). The double-clutch will allow you to drive with the problem indefinitely, but to fix it involves a tranny rebuild.

- the purge control valve is aka the fuel tank vent valve on Concelli's site.

- get a multimeter and do the TPS adjustment before replacing it.

Dave
Old 04-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can buy them used from me
Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
What are you bumping for? Your thread title says you want an online parts store, and you got one.

Put each question in a separate thread with a good title and you'll get better results.

- metal grinding sounds in a manual transmission mean a bearing or synchro failure. If the grinding sound happens regardless of gear or speed, you may have the famous differential carrier bearing failure. If it's only when going into one particular gear, it's probably the synchro. You can confirm it's the synchro if double-clutching stops the grinding sound (double clutch = clutch in, shift to N, clutch out, clutch in, shift to next gear, clutch out). The double-clutch will allow you to drive with the problem indefinitely, but to fix it involves a tranny rebuild.

- the purge control valve is aka the fuel tank vent valve on Concelli's site.

- get a multimeter and do the TPS adjustment before replacing it.

Dave

im an automatic...

and what relation of tps have to do w/ 4th gear malfunction.. like what could cause it to show up.... nissan said i need a new tps sensor yet i pull the codes when i get home and its 4th gear malfunction .. i want to know how they got their results..

and when they say purge control valve.. do they mean the one attatched to that black box under the car in the back or the one next to the throttle body?

also... if the tps dosen't make 1106 come up somehow .. how come they didn't tell me my trans was messed up when i took it to them?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by ShRapNeR
and when they say purge control valve.. do they mean the one attatched to that black box under the car in the back or the one next to the throttle body?
I looked up the purge control valve, and indeed it's up by the throttle body. The charcoal canister itself is stuck back by the fuel filler neck.
Also, it's not often the dealer gets accused of knowing more about the car than they should. Because they don't have to be good, they just have to be polite.

Dave
Old 04-12-2005, 05:54 PM

ok... is that the EGR or the EVAP?

does the egr one have to do with emissions?