4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4TH GEN Head and four install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 03:05 PM
mrdeucie

I want to try and help my friend install a head and four in his 99 maxima. So far I know I need the din adapter so that we can switch from a double din to a single, antenna dapter, wiring harness and speaker adapters to connect the stock speaker wiring to the aftermarket speakers. Do you guys have instructions on how to take apart the dash and the speaker surroundings? If I order just the din adapter, wiring harness and the antenna adapter from Crutchfield will they give me the instructions or would I have to order a speakers or head for them to give me the instructions? Thank you for your help in advance.

Old 05-10-2001, 12:11 PM
mrdeucie

bump

Old 05-10-2001, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You might want to put this in the Adio and Electronic section as those people probably would know more about this. I really can't help that much on this, but Crutchfield should send you a sheet with instructions on how to remove the deck. Also it would be helpful to know if the stereo is BOSE or not, and if the car is an auto or 5-speed (While the directions for taking the dash apart a pretty much the same, it is easier with a 5-speed than an auto).
Old 05-10-2001, 01:01 PM
mrdeucie

Thank you for the response.

My friend has an automatic with I think only the tape player. I think it's a double din.

Old 05-10-2001, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mrdeucie
Thank you for the response.

My friend has an automatic with I think only the tape player. I think it's a double din.
I am assuming that the 99 auto is the same as the 2K, but this may be a bad assumption. . . If I am right, there should be a rubber seal that is in between the auto shifter and a plastic piece. Carefully remove that piece, just so you don't accidently scratch anything. Then lift up on the plastic. It is held in by clips that might be hard to pull up the first time, but just apply even pressure and the will evenually pop out and the plastic piece will come out. Remove the plug from the back of the lighter and throw this piece aside. You will then be able to see 2 screws, one is just to the left of the ashtray, the other is around the same spot at the very left of the front console. When you remove the screw right next to the ashtary, it will be freed. Pull the ashtray out by disconnecting the wire connected to it, it is cliped in there, and then throw that aside. This will now reveal a 3rd screw that the ashtray was covering, remove that.

You now have to remove the vents at the top. This is done by lifting up on the vents, and then pulling out. I have found that lifting them up as high as they will go, and then pushing down at the bottom frees them eastily, but I sure this doesn't translate that well to writing. This piece is connected by 2 wiring harnesses, if you can diconnect them that is the best, but mine don't want to come out so I just get it to sit on the dash, but it doesn't always like to stay. This will then reveal 2 screw at the top you can remove these and you can pull out the part that contains the radio. It is secured in by 4? screws, 2 on each side.

I don't know about how the harness is connected or anything as I have never replaced one, but I have had to get back there numerous times for other things. Also, I don't think you will need a converter to make it work with the speakers, this is only needed with the BOSE system. The stock system can be hooked up normally with a normal harness, someone may correct me on this. If you are getting everything from Crutchfield they should give you everything necessary to do this yourself though.