4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone have/what do people think of the Eibach and GR2 combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:15 PM

anyone have/what do people think of the Eibach and GR2 combo?

hey guys...well simply put like the title says im looking for input from anyone with this combo...Ive done weeks of research...I read through the maxmods website and read through many posts on this subject but havent found any concrete/good info on this combo...Im aware that the Gr2's are unadjustable and are better than oem...but will they stand the test with the stiffness of the Eibachs?...I read that agx's are very, almost too stiff and blow occasionally...the Agx's are more expensive so I dont understand.. difficult decision maybe you guys can help me ??.. thanks, Rick
Old 04-16-2005, 10:17 PM

sry forgot to mention that I dont have money for the illuminas and I read that the TK blues are close to OEM replacement ?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:18 PM

Tj max has eibachs and Gr-2;s

My boy had his eibachs paired with Gr2s and all i can say is in a matter of months he kissed those struts good bye with these N.Y.C roads. Eibachs are very stiff springs and are not recommended to be paired with GR2S. Gr2s are more of a aftermaket sturt for stock springs
Old 04-16-2005, 10:53 PM

...looks as if people dont like stiff springs and the Eibachs are said to be stiff...I always thought that Eibach was a good spring, also a good name...but it looks as if stiff springs are bad and also blow struts....sadly confused...maybe someone can shed me some light...thank you
Old 04-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

The Eibach-Gr2 combo is just fine. A little stiff but a good combo for the money. I have been running if for over a year.

It is not a stiff spring that blows struts. What blows struts more than anything is being paired with a spring that lowers the car too much. Struts have an effective range in which they are designed to travel. You compress that strut too much and it only travels outside the effective dampening range then it will reduce the life of that strut.

The stiffness of the spring and the stiffness of the strut have more to do with ride quaility then blowing the strut.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:28 AM

2 Da Max and I30TMikeD..thanks for the info..im thinking of going with the H techs now..I read that they are not as stiff as the Eibachs and only 1.6/1.2 which dosent seem to drastic and also pretty close to the drop of the Eibachs..ahhhh theres so many choices for springs and struts it drives me crazy...I guess now im looking at the Htechs and gr2...what kind of struts do people like with their Htechs ?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:55 AM

buddy of mine has that combo..

ride is good.. granted our roads aren't all that bad, just a couple places you have to watch out for..

id say get the gr2's.. only if you don't have enough money right away for illuminas or agx
Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 AM

do yourself a favor, and either wait till you have enough money for the illumias and get the h&r springs instead. h&r's are the same drop, and are 20% less stiff than the eibachs. i had gr2's on two of my maxima's.. i now spend the better part of my spare time, and money, fixing all the after-effects of having those struts in my car. if you running 16" rims... than ok, mabye it wont be that horrible. if you have, or ever plan on getting a bigger rim, dont even consider them..
Old 04-17-2005, 01:24 PM

thanks stuntin....yeah i read your whole write up on your post earlier this month...its a good write up....I DO and plan on keeping my stock 16" wheels.... given that the H tech isnt THAT low , I would like to think that the GR-2 could handle them..... question about H+R's??-the reason why im not going for the H+Rs is that people say that the front is higher than the back, other than that I hear they are great for handling and comfort
Old 04-17-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
thanks stuntin....yeah i read your whole write up on your post earlier this month...its a good write up....I DO and plan on keeping my stock 16" wheels.... given that the H tech isnt THAT low , I would like to think that the GR-2 could handle them..... question about H+R's??-the reason why im not going for the H+Rs is that people say that the front is higher than the back, other than that I hear they are great for handling and comfort
had them on both of my cars, with big systems in the trunks.. at one time i had a box with 4 10's that weighed 98lbs by itself.. anyway... i never noticed any difference in the heights.. the gr2's are gonna be WAY stiff as it is, you wont need, and probably dont want the extra stiffness anyway with the eibachs. if handling is a factor at play between the two, pay it no attention. your car is gonna handle like its on rails with those struts, no matter what dropped spring you get. the weak link in your suspension in terms of handling is gonna be your 16" tires. the h&r's, gr2's and 16" rims will give you a good compromise between comfort and handling especialy if you have all season tires.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:13 PM

just cause it was a concern of yours, i went outside and measured.. measuring from the center of the wheels, from the ground to my wheel well. the front measures 26 3/8 inches, and the rear is 26 1/4 inches.. so the rear is 1/8 th of an inch lower, and thats with my system in the back thats gotta weigh at least 100lbs. without it im sure it would sit perfectly level.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am running S.tech's and Gr-2's and really don't have too many complaints about the ride

but the streets i ride on are decent for the most part
Old 04-17-2005, 08:38 PM

ahh thanks man for checking the height of your car with H+R's! ... yeah between H+R's and Htech..its a tuff decision .... but like you said I dont need the Eibachs(I think we both agree that they are too stiff)..and the H+R's from what ive read from you and other people, really look as if its a good comfy and good handling spring......I have all weather tires if you were curious......so basically stuntin the H+R's are ok with GR-2's but excellent with illuminas ? .. if this is right than its gonna be tuff to decide if I should wait and save some $ for illuminas or just buy the gr-2's ...I bet your H+R's with illuminas are so nice to ride on ..... what made you get the H+R's over the Htech ?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:42 PM

A Flood99 thanks for the info ... wow im feeling pretty confident to match my Htechs/H+R's with gr-2's ... people say that the Gr-2's are close to oem replacement and arent good for lowering springs-I dont think I believe this comment
Old 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM

H&R's all the way !!!! , GR2's are 15% or more stiffer than stock strut, plus they match H&R's very nice , you will have firm and controlled ride.

looks pretty low due to 225/55R16 tire

Nick.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:10 PM

man that is a beautiful ride Nick, inside and out....I think I might be sold on the H+R's/GR-2 combo
Old 04-17-2005, 09:15 PM

H&R's go on ebay for $245 shipped and GR2's should cost about the same.

Nick.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:29 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

i think eibach and OEM SE shocks are pretty good ... still stiff - yet comfortable.

between the GR-2 and AGX, i think u will be fine with GR2
Old 04-18-2005, 01:54 AM

Reality is that if you look around these forums you will see posts from people with every shock/strut combo and see that many have had struts blow within a few months. These include stock SE, GR2, AGX, and illuminas.

Clearly the GR2s and stock SE struts were not MEANT to go with lowering springs, BUT I see just as many stories about AGX/Illuminas blowing out as I do with the less expensive counteparts.

Struts are among those parts that need regular replacement. Sometimes you get lucky and they last for years. Other times one will go in a few months.

If you can afford the better struts (AGX, Illuminas) you are probably safer, but it's no guarantee. The GR2s might last just as well or die right away. My GR2s and H-techs are perfect after one-year on bosnia-like roads (upstate NY). They may blow tomorrow. Or not for 3 years. Crap shoot, really.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:05 AM

LAST THING TO CONSIDER: If you haven't changed your upper strut mounts and strut bearings yet, you really should consider it. You can get the kit with front mounts and bearings from Monroe for ~$112. Or you can buy the KYB versions ($35 each for two front mounts, $20 each for two bearings = $110 total) for about the same price.

It takes ZERO extra labor to replace these when you install the struts. And if your car is older (like mine), you WILL be replacing these things soon, especially after installing the stiffer suspension setup.

Removing the struts and springs TWICE is no fun! And very expensive if you plan to pay someone to do it...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Adrian

I have this combo and don't like the GR2's, too stiff for me, when I have $ gonna stick with the Eibachs but go with Illuminas
Old 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
cefiro_max99

eibach is a whole diffrent level i enjoy it alot.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:05 AM

i just got this combo a month ago and im starting to regret it. i had eibachs on my old integra and the ride was great. but in the maxima, the ride is very stiff and not sporty. dont know if its the gr2 or the eibach but the ride is stiff especially at night. during the day, ride seems softer but still not sporty. the back also seems slightly lower. could be my 1 12" subwoofer.

no matter what combo you get, dont forget to change the rubber pieces on each strut and shocks. forgot what there called. you dont want to pay twice to have them installed.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 AM

man all you guys have good feeback ...glad im getting all this info before I buy .... im leaning toward H+R's / GR-2 ...looks like im gonna have to get strut mounts and bearings too
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Reality is that if you look around these forums you will see posts from people with every shock/strut combo and see that many have had struts blow within a few months. These include stock SE, GR2, AGX, and illuminas.

Clearly the GR2s and stock SE struts were not MEANT to go with lowering springs, BUT I see just as many stories about AGX/Illuminas blowing out as I do with the less expensive counteparts.

Struts are among those parts that need regular replacement. Sometimes you get lucky and they last for years. Other times one will go in a few months.

If you can afford the better struts (AGX, Illuminas) you are probably safer, but it's no guarantee. The GR2s might last just as well or die right away. My GR2s and H-techs are perfect after one-year on bosnia-like roads (upstate NY). They may blow tomorrow. Or not for 3 years. Crap shoot, really.
my reality = stock SE struts + eibach prokit

4 years and still goin
Old 04-18-2005, 08:44 AM

omg Eibachs and STOCK struts are still lasting....and its been 4 years....thats amazing...wowee..... I always thought stock struts blow out with lowered springs since there is a lot more stress on the strut.... I guess its anybodys game
Old 04-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally Posted by nick
H&R's all the way !!!! , GR2's are 15% or more stiffer than stock strut, plus they match H&R's very nice , you will have firm and controlled ride.

Nick.

i bought this combo off of nick and am very happy with it. nothing but compliments on the drop and it feels great! i'd highly recomend it if you can't afford illuminas.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 AM

only reason im getting eibachs is b/c i want a sporty ride... AND i have them sitting right here beside me.

if it wasn't for me wanting a sporty ride i would probably get h&r's.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:33 PM

ShRapNeR what are you gonna use for struts to match with the Eibachs?

some conclusion im gathering for struts and springs: let me know if you guys agree ok?..also if im wrong let me know as well..
-Illuminas are good with ANY spring

-for the most part-you should match a soft spring with a stiff strut and the other way around to get a comfortable ride..ex: H+R(soft) matched with GR-2(stiff)

-the lower you go the more risk you have on blowing the strut

-Htech and H+R are basically the same, just that Htech is a bit lower and just a little bit stiffer but for the most part they are the same

-Eibach is a good firm spring but only comfortable with a really good strut like illumina
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
man all you guys have good feeback ...glad im getting all this info before I buy .... im leaning toward H+R's / GR-2 ...looks like im gonna have to get strut mounts and bearings too
i wouldnt bother getting the strut mounts if i was you.. your coming from a stock suspension, its not like youve had a real stiff set-up thats been pounding away at them. the mount is nothing more that a really solid peice of rubber, with a metal housing. i replaced mine for the hell of it, but they didnt need it , even after the cars been lowered for a few years on a rock hard set up. i would get the bearings though.. there only made out of plastic, and for the extra few dollars its worth changing them to eliminate the chance of them breaking later on.
on another note, if you can, i would wait and get the illumina's instead. not that the gr2's are gonna make you wanna slit your wrists, but you may not realize just how much different your ride is gonna be with them. the illumina's will give you much more versatility, and a world of choices that will make your ride EXACTLY how you want it, instead of just being "stuck" with what you have..
Old 04-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE=browne]i just got this combo a month ago and im starting to regret it. i had eibachs on my old integra and the ride was great. but in the maxima, the ride is very stiff and not sporty. dont know if its the gr2 or the eibach but the ride is stiff especially at night. during the day, ride seems softer but still not sporty. the back also seems slightly lower. could be my 1 12" subwoofer.

-yeah!I have the same combo and agree ,very stiff...feel like a friggin go-cart sometimes