4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FSTB and RSB... are all created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 10:05 PM
SLOW

Yes, i posted this in the General forum, but i wanted the maximum response before i order them tomorrow...

Im buying front strut tower bar and rear sway bar tomorrow... im going with the cattman FSTB and probably the
Addco RSB. does anyone have any compelling reason i should or shouldnt go with these? i heard somewehre the stillen
RSB has more adjustment... but its also quite a bit more money correct? im assuming all FSTBs are basically equal...
as long as they arent made of plastic or toothpicks or some other weak material. any comments are appreciated.

Neal
Old 05-09-2001, 10:24 PM

all fstb's are pretty much created equal performance wise. stillen looks the best but then its the most $$

rsb... stillen is adjustable... addco is not
Old 05-10-2001, 05:20 AM

Go with the Vibrant strut bar from Streetbeat. It's cheap, and it does the job great. I don't see a point in spending all that extra money. Rsb, go with stillen, from what I have heard, it is better. Only problem is they are on back order, I have been trying to get one for about a week now.
Good luck

K
Old 05-10-2001, 02:29 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Yes, i posted this in the General forum, but i wanted the maximum response before i order them tomorrow...

Im buying front strut tower bar and rear sway bar tomorrow... im going with the cattman FSTB and probably the
Addco RSB. does anyone have any compelling reason i should or shouldnt go with these? i heard somewehre the stillen
RSB has more adjustment... but its also quite a bit more money correct? im assuming all FSTBs are basically equal...
as long as they arent made of plastic or toothpicks or some other weak material. any comments are appreciated.

Neal
i have an addco rsb and love it.. personally i dont like anything that is adjustable.. i wanna put it on once, and forget about it.. the addco bar installed in about 15 min, that is , after i waited over a month to get the correct hardware.. the differnece in handleing is dramatic.. very dramatic.. as far as the fstb, i ordered the cattam, and streetbeat, returned them both.. i am no longer a cattman supporter for my bad experiences with their custom srevice and there lack of organization.. i would recomend that you'd get the bar from courtesy nissan instead.. its about the same price, and ive never heard of any bad experiences with them. as far as the streetbeat bar goes.. i dont want a $35 part on my car.. no thanks..

Old 05-10-2001, 03:19 PM

What about a RSTB? Is that worth getting? Does it help?
Old 05-10-2001, 03:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Addco RSB question

For those with one, because in mounts under the rear axle, does this mean you can no longer use this as a rear jack pt?

I ordered mine from Morgan Performance where you'll save a few bucks since they ship direct from factory, but it takes a while! So far, it's been a week and a half and no word of shipment...

Re: Rear STB, most say it makes minimal difference.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:25 PM

Front strut tower braces all do the same thing, and they're all pretty strong... I would definitely get it... makes a huge difference in the overall handling balance of the car (I feel a little less understeer, a little less yaw movement from the REAR, and less creaking noise when I drive up driveways at an angle).

Rear strut tower - couldn't feel much difference performance wise, but did make a slight differnce in body rigidity (less rear flex/creaking noises from the package shelf). I think it'd make more of a difference for hatchbacks and car where the rear sit flips down since there's less metal bracing back there.

RSB, don't know... don't have one yet... I drive pretty hard, and the RSB will make the car corner harder up to the limit, but won't be as forgiving at the limit. Less progressive breakaway, and may make the back more prone to come around. In a Miata, at an autocross, it made the car less progressive... it would hold hold hold, then spin.

-V
Old 05-10-2001, 11:30 PM
SLOW

Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone for their advice... i ordered the Stillen RSB (its on a bit of a backorder) and the procarparts.com strut bar (as well as some other stuff.. spent some $$$ today.) anyhow, thankyou for responding. happy driving.

Neal
Old 05-11-2001, 06:17 PM

Agree..StreetBeat/Vibrant and Stillen RSB

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN
Go with the Vibrant strut bar from Streetbeat. It's cheap, and it does the job great. I don't see a point in spending all that extra money. Rsb, go with stillen, from what I have heard, it is better. Only problem is they are on back order, I have been trying to get one for about a week now.
Good luck

K
Agree, go with the StreetBeat/Vibrant FSTB and then the Stillen RSB. I've got the StreetBeat/Vibrant and it's great. Looks good, well made and works. I'm saving for the Stillen RSB. I think that it is better made and another plus...adjustable. Just can't get enthused about the ADDCO...looks cheap.
Cheers
Old 05-12-2001, 06:19 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: Agree..StreetBeat/Vibrant and Stillen RSB

Originally posted by zagato27

Agree, go with the StreetBeat/Vibrant FSTB and then the Stillen RSB. I've got the StreetBeat/Vibrant and it's great. Looks good, well made and works. I'm saving for the Stillen RSB. I think that it is better made and another plus...adjustable. Just can't get enthused about the ADDCO...looks cheap.
Cheers
your funny.. lmao... the addco rsb looks cheap, but the $35 fstb is great quality and well made.. oh boy..

Old 05-12-2001, 07:27 PM

Re: Re: Agree..StreetBeat/Vibrant and Stillen RSB

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
your funny.. lmao... the addco rsb looks cheap, but the $35 fstb is great quality and well made.. oh boy..
Yes, seems a bit strange to put those two thoughts together BUT, the StreetBeat/Vibrant looks just like the other FSTBs with the exception for the Stillen FSTB. I have to admit that I like it's looks best. However, compared to the other REASONABLY priced FSTBs, the StreetBeat looks the same and it really is well made. OK, it's not a Stillen that looks really neat but compared to the rest it's fine. As to the Stillen RSB, it really does look better than the ADDCO, it is adjustable, and from what I've read in the forum it is better. Comes down to personal preference and where you draw the line. I'll go with the so called cheap FSTB that doesn't have the Stillen looks but want the looks of the Stillen RSB and it's adjustability.
Yup, still a little bit hard to explain.
Yes, the StreetBeat is well made.
Cheers