4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV Half-Axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I Broke OT

CV Half-Axle

Just this afternoon, I was going to work around 3:00. I heard this really strange noise, and I thought something was going on with my brakes up front. I get to work a few minutes later and get down to see my outer driver side CV boot all shiny and covered in grease. I knew it split. poop. so now, i'm not sure whether i should just replace the boots, (the other side while i'm at it cuz it is cracking) of the whole driver side axle and the passenger side outter boot. Any suggestions? I really don't think that it was split for long at all. Only a day at most i hope, and I drive to school and work, about 10+/- miles a day probably? Is it probably already dirty in the axle? If I should replace the axle, is raxles good, and can I do it at home with decent mechanic skills? (Are boots pretty easy to replace?) I saw the motorvate sight and I'd be willing to do it myself. Does it basically bolt in place, or should I take it to the dealership to do, or should the dealership use their parts and totally rip me off. I want to get it done right. What's the best?

Thanks for any advice at all!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
I Broke OT

bump...sorry so long, just looking for advice on CV boots and axles...
Anyone?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

It cost me $200 to get Left boot and right axle done. It wouldn't be something that I would want to attempt myself, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I think if you're doing it yourself, it's alot easier to do the whole axle (less messy). Do you have any clicking? If not you are probably OK to just get the boots done. You should be able to get both boots replaced for under $100.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:40 AM
I Broke OT

thanks, just what i was looking for. no, no clicking yet. i'll plan on doing the boots then. probably just pick them up for the dealer for about $20 a piece with the straps and grease. I'll keep looking for info on installation.

Has anyone else attempted this or had experience?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2005, 03:04 AM

To replace the entire axle evything comes off: the wheel, rotor, brakes and finally the axle out of the knuckle. I have assisted my father in doing this four or six times. The onkly hard part was using a puller to get the axle out of the knuckle. That and breaking that huge nut on the axle. Took us (him) about 30 min. When you are taking out the axle be sure to look at everything so you reinstalll correctly. The teeth on the axle should easily go into the teeth on the knuckle. I hope I'm remembering this right. The last time I worked on a car this in depth was about two and a half years ago. I just had my axles done @ the dealership in November cause they were making this loud noise. Turns out both of the boots were torn and the drivers side was out of grease.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:03 AM

Damn guys, I just did my passenger side axle yesterday. Replaced and filled up the tranny with fluid in 35 min. Simple stuff, zip off the axle nut, take out the washer, take off the castle nut on the steering link arm, take out the nut for the lower ball joint, use a crawbar to push down the control arm and have someone swing the hub assembly over to the side. Put the axle nut on so that it just threads in a few, hit the nut with a hammer and it will push out the axle grab the end of it and move the hub and axle away from each other and it will come out right away. use a crawbar on where the axle enters the tranny and just pry it lightly from there and the axle will come out... The passenger side just zip off the 3 bolts that hold in the bearing mount, use a flat head and just hit it in the center of the 2 pieces and it will come out right away.

You can rebuild it if you want, I suggest not to. Your bearings prob have a lot of marks on them due to the dirt and w/e else went in there. Just feel the greese, does it feel gritty? If so then just replace the whole axle. Go to autopartsauthority.com you can buy an axle for $140 and if you ship back your old one you get $70 bucks back. If your handly have a buddy come and help you. things you will need

-3/8 drive and sockets
-1/2 drive and sockets
-32mm socket for axle nut (I may be wrong but its in the 30's)
-GL-4 tranny fluid (nothing else but that) Well thats if your 5-speed.
-A few rags, (I suggest when you pull out the old axle you stuff a rage into the tranny hole)
-Some cotter pins (axle nut has the biggest one, the other two are smaller)
-Jack and stands.
-WD-40
-Take your time, its an easy process. Save more money in the end.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:09 PM
I Broke OT

SMX95 thanks a lot for that little write-up. it'll make more sense when i'm looking at the car. yeah it's a 5 speed. I don't hear any clicking at all just maybe a little rubbing, but coming home today from school, i heard nothin once i was out of the parking lot. I even took it in slow circles and no noise. maybe i will just do the boots. raxles.com sells the boot kits (boot, two bracket things one small, one large and the grease). I may just do that. hopefully it's not bad in there at all yet. i'll check the consistency of the grease to know for sure. thanks again.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how do i know if my car has lsd or not? Im new here and im trying to fix this 95 maxima SE. the outer cv boots are ripped open all around and grease is everywhere. I dont konw how long its been like this, but i just want to replace both side with new ones instead of just the boot.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bump again. someone has to know this. i need help asap.