4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Door Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Always sunny in philly

Door Inserts

I recently did a leather seat swap, but didnt have the leather door panels. Instead of paying 150+ for panels, anyone have any luck with just the inserts? The charcoal inserts and black leather clash and want to get either black vinyl or leather inserts for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Any experiences?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't trust it. Look at the way they spell Vinyl-

made from quality leather type "vynal"

Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 PM

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. do not get these...NO. NO. NO. NO. they are a waste of god damn money..my friend bought them..and they are ****...you have to take off the stock cloth...then use spray adhesive, and cut these down, then put them in....NO. NO. NO. NO. Do NOT buy these..they are a stupid rip-off and a waste of time. Buy the 150$ ones. I hate these things with a passion, they are as good for the interior as the TORANADO off ebay is as good for gaining horsepower. I SAY AGAIN..STAY AWAY FROM THESE STUPID Fake INserts on Ebay.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Black Maxima

Make them yourself...

Old 04-27-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chipotle18
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. do not get these...NO. NO. NO. NO. they are a waste of god damn money..my friend bought them..and they are ****...you have to take off the stock cloth...then use spray adhesive, and cut these down, then put them in....NO. NO. NO. NO. Do NOT buy these..they are a stupid rip-off and a waste of time. Buy the 150$ ones. I hate these things with a passion, they are as good for the interior as the TORANADO off ebay is as good for gaining horsepower. I SAY AGAIN..STAY AWAY FROM THESE STUPID Fake INserts on Ebay.

Im not fully sure but i think he doesnt want you to buy these
Old 04-27-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
Make them yourself...
wait how can you make them yourself?...what would you use?..not that same things that the guy from ebay send?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by kcryan
Im not fully sure but i think he doesnt want you to buy these
seriously...i really am against this as*hole on ebay..the inserts are stupid vinyl...
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

make them yourself.....just go to a cloth store, and buy the cloth.....cut out the correct amount you need to put it on, and all you do is get special glue and put it on, i did it, my friend did his, they look gorgeous....just like store bought....
Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by YozhiksMax
make them yourself.....just go to a cloth store, and buy the cloth.....cut out the correct amount you need to put it on, and all you do is get special glue and put it on, i did it, my friend did his, they look gorgeous....just like store bought....

thats a good idea, but i need leather inserts though. Any place they sell these? i might just hold off until i get the OEM's...
Old 04-27-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by YozhiksMax
DO you have any pics?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Black Maxima

This is called customized by Black Maxima:

That's black vinal. Not leather, but pretty close.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
This is called customized by Black Maxima:

That's black vinal. Not leather, but pretty close.

Instructions? that looks very good.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I really dont like the look of the smooth vinyl. I really like the OEM folded/rippled look. Get the OEM stuff or try and recreate the look the the original.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Black Maxima

Instructions? that looks very good.
"It's kind of hard to explain how I did it. First, I cut a piece of vinal and glued the middle of it to the door. Then, with a small flat bladed screw driver I "tucked" the edges into the crease around the insert. I made sure it was all the way into the crease. After that, I stuck a pen in the crease and drew a line. That line told me the correct shape and size the vinal pice had to be. I cut the vinal about 1/16" bigger than the line all the way around by only taking part of it out at a time. I made sure it fit perfectly and then without taking the whole vinal piece off, I glued part/half of the vinal piece to the door. I let it dry and then did the other half. That way I made sure the vinal would be lined up. I did come into a problem when the vinal had glue on it. It was really hard to tuck into the crease. I had to work my way around it with a screw driver. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was worth it.

I got the black vinal from a closet upstairs in my house. HAHA You could probably get it at JoAnne Fabrics or A.C. Moore."

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&page=2&pp=30

Old 04-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am in the same boat too. I will brobably buy some black vinyl. my mother actually told me to go to Goodwill and get an old leather jacket for parts . Gotta check that out.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 PM

hey, i have a gle, it came with clean black leather inserts, but i put some blue vinyl over em cause i think if i take em totally out, how would i put my blue vinyl on, but still make it look clean? if anyone ( the guy who started the post) is interested and knows what i can do, get back with me tomorrow cause im out. also, i can post pics if needed ( im sure they will be needed)
heres a quick pic
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...mmaxima002.jpg

see, you can see what i put in place, $10 and its way better cause it matches my seats
Old 04-27-2005, 08:35 PM

ok..so listen i have this idea...will this work? Make a cardboard cut-out of the shape of the panel...get some thin wood and cut out an exact replica...take some foam and cut it into the shape of the wood and glue it on...ontop of that..put leather material...and either staple/glue/sew just like the stock leather panel inserts are...remove your old cloth piece on the door...and either glue, or clip this newly made leather insert onto that area...will this work?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 AM

Nismotitc I hope you get a chance to read this.....yeah like the other guys said...definitley dont buy these...I bought these from that seller and they are crap....there not even precut you have to cut them and its a ***** to get them to fit right.... its just plain black vinyl...you can go to a fabric store and get this.....dont buy that its junk...any ?'s pm me
Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 AM

does anyone have an input on my idea? good? bad?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 AM

That sounds like it would work. I the vinly is smooth right? So it shouldn't show too bad. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of an option for a two tone interior? My car came with tan leather inserts and seats with a black dash, doors and carpets. Sorry to hijack your thread, but no one has helped me and now Im wondering where it came from. My car is a 99.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Black Maxima

Originally Posted by Chipotle18
ok..so listen i have this idea...will this work? Make a cardboard cut-out of the shape of the panel...get some thin wood and cut out an exact replica...take some foam and cut it into the shape of the wood and glue it on...ontop of that..put leather material...and either staple/glue/sew just like the stock leather panel inserts are...remove your old cloth piece on the door...and either glue, or clip this newly made leather insert onto that area...will this work?
I would think it would be sticking out like a **** since the middle of the insert area is flush with the rest of the door panel. And there is a "mote" around that area where the vinal tucks in...

Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
Nismotitc I hope you get a chance to read this.....yeah like the other guys said...definitley dont buy these...I bought these from that seller and they are crap....there not even precut you have to cut them and its a ***** to get them to fit right.... its just plain black vinyl...you can go to a fabric store and get this.....dont buy that its junk...any ?'s pm me

Just the answer I needed. You are the man. Thank you all for your insight.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:32 PM

Nismotic no prob bro....im actually really happy I got to save someone from buying those OVERPRICED, UNFITTED vinyl pieces....If I had to do over again I would have just shelled out the extra bucks for the black leather door panels...actually thats exactly what im gonna do after the next few pay checks ......oh also!..I thought that the black vinyl would give a leather feel or atleast imitate the oem leather door panels...it dosent at all, and im just mad that I could have used the money ive wasted thus far, and put it toward the black nissan door panels....im jealous of people with all black leather :-)
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

thats a bummer..... good thing the OEM panels are easy to install.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Original door panels with a leather interior are vinYl too.

Go to a fabric store. They'll sell you vinYl or leather by the yard. Get some spray adhesive. If you want a cushioned feel you can spray over your existing fabric and affix the vinYl to the panel. or you can peel off the factory cloth and just spray the adhesive, let it dry, then press on the vinYl.

Its Vinyl. not Vynil
Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nismotic just get OEM ones..