4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who has tinted windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:34 AM
JSMEXUSA

Who has tinted windshield?

I have 35% tint all around but it is very light; wanted to remove/replace at least rear window for 20% but tint guy told me is impossible without damaging rear defroster and will charge me about $80 or more; so now I am thinking of tinting windshield 35% or lighter but may get tickets for that.
Do anybody has it, what percentage, is it illegal?

Old 04-27-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JSMEXUSA
I have 35% tint all around but it is very light; wanted to remove/replace at least rear window for 20% but tint guy told me is impossible without damaging rear defroster and will charge me about $80 or more; so now I am thinking of tinting windshield 35% or lighter but may get tickets for that.
Do anybody has it, what percentage, is it illegal?
I also have 35% on all windows except windshield. Ideally i'd like to go 5% all the way around with 35% percent on windshield. but i know i'll get ticketed. So for now i'm going to tint my windsheild 35%. theres a dude at my gym that has a max with 35 all around inc. windshield and it looks awesome. darkens up all the other window good too. Yea, a handful of people on the org have theirs tinted and it looks hot. Yes tinting windshield is completly illegal. I'm not gonna worry about having my windshield 35 when i do it. Everyone that i know that got ticketed with window tint had theres 20% and under with windshield 35% and the cops never noticed windshield was tinted. I havent had an inspection sticker in a 1/2 year and i've gotten pulled over 3 times with 3 written warnings and they didnt even notice my sticker not being there. sorry for length.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by JSniper0
I also have 35% on all windows except windshield. Ideally i'd like to go 5% all the way around with 35% percent on windshield. but i know i'll get ticketed. So for now i'm going to tint my windsheild 35%. theres a dude at my gym that has a max with 35 all around inc. windshield and it looks awesome. darkens up all the other window good too. Yea, a handful of people on the org have theirs tinted and it looks hot. Yes tinting windshield is completly illegal. I'm not gonna worry about having my windshield 35 when i do it. Everyone that i know that got ticketed with window tint had theres 20% and under with windshield 35% and the cops never noticed windshield was tinted. I havent had an inspection sticker in a 1/2 year and i've gotten pulled over 3 times with 3 written warnings and they didnt even notice my sticker not being there. sorry for length.
What part of MA are you in? Cops here can spot a missing/failed/expired inspection sticker from a mile away and WILL ticket you and a lot of the times tow the owners car. I have two friends this has happened to, both near their homes where the the cop could have been nice and let them drive a few minutes home and take the car off the road.

Both had clean records...

I'm moving wherever you are, because I can barely get away with DC corners!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:15 AM

A Flood 99 has a tint on his front windshield. If I remember correctly he loves it and doenst affect nightime driving at all. I belive its a 35% or 25%
Old 04-27-2005, 08:17 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

my front windshield is tinted.

although, it's only 50%, but I have no problems at night ..... no probs with cops either. It isn't noticeable considering the rest of the car is tinted darker, but it does stop 50% of the light i guess ... it was more of a move to protect the dash since my car is black inside/out and gets pretty hot here in the summers.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Maxima Owner

i ny Windshield tint is illegal unless u have a written letter from ur eye doctor sayin u need it........there is clear tint that protects from UV rays also
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 AM

dont tint your winshield im pretty sure u will get a ticket
just take off all the 35s and put in 20s for the doors then 15 on the rear window
Old 04-27-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by tomservo291
What part of MA are you in? Cops here can spot a missing/failed/expired inspection sticker from a mile away and WILL ticket you and a lot of the times tow the owners car. I have two friends this has happened to, both near their homes where the the cop could have been nice and let them drive a few minutes home and take the car off the road.

Both had clean records...

I'm moving wherever you are, because I can barely get away with DC corners!
haha you have to come through the town i live in to get to school at umass dartmouth, i've seen you a couple times leaving umass and you looked over. I think i've seen you twice. drivin by me.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 AM

does anyone have any pics with their tinted front windshield?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

35%.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve

35%.

word.. that looks madd nice. i think imma have to get mine done now
Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM
vsamoylov

nadir, can you take a pic like the one above of the windshield. i want to see diference between 50% and 35%. thanks

Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM

Y2KSESteve, what kind of tint do u have on the rest the windows?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:13 PM

35% on the windshield is great. Before I did it I had a good talk about it with A Flood and I was trying to weigh out the options. It came down to where, there really isn't no negativity to it. It doesn't affect driving in the day or night at all, you can still easily see the Inspection sticker clear as a bell in the day and at night with his flashlight. I don't see myself ever driving another car without tinting the windhsield 35%. It keeps the car cooler inside, blocks out bad sun that others need to use visors and you can easiyl drive like nuttins wrong and it just looks real sleek and sexy being the tint is now 100% fully wrapped around.

I've been pulled over twice since I got it, once in bright daylight and he checked out my inspection sticker no problem and the other time was at 7:45pm on the verge of gettin dark on the highway so I had to roll down my passenger side window and he stuck his head inside and was looking throgh my windshield while talkin to me and didn't make one wierd or akward face gesture of why it look dark or tinted, cuz it DOESNT. The average eye can't tell it's tinted if you look from the inside.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 PM

20% on windows w/ 35% on the windshield.....

Old 04-27-2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JSMEXUSA
wanted to remove/replace at least rear window for 20% but tint guy told me is impossible without damaging rear defroster and will charge me about $80 or more
Go to a different shop. The one you go to has an inexperied tinter doing the work. Tint can be removed without damaging the defrosters. And $80 is not unreasonable for tint removal. It depends how old the tint is and how badly it is stuck onto the glass.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SJjR426
Y2KSESteve, what kind of tint do u have on the rest the windows?
It's like 7% on every other window except the rear which has the 7% and another layer of 35% over it.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:25 PM
kormax97

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
i ny Windshield tint is illegal unless u have a written letter from ur eye doctor sayin u need it........there is clear tint that protects from UV rays also
wait so you think if i get something written from my doctor buddy saying i have some problems driving if my windows aren't tinted then i can get them?... interesting.. i wanna know more..

Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
nadir, can you take a pic like the one above of the windshield. i want to see diference between 50% and 35%. thanks

really depends on the tint around the car + interior color ... like I mentioned before, my interior is black and the tint on the rears are 20 and 35 in the front.

here's a pic of 50% ... just rained so it's a bit dirty.

I would probably not go with 35% just because it will definately make my windshield stand-out as being tinted.

Here's another pic of me removing the old 50% tint on my side doors .. as u can see, it is slightly tinted and that's the shade the front winshield looks like, from the inside looking out. if you look into the car, I think the tint just adds alot more reflection and since the other windows are tinted and interior is black, it's not so bad for me.

I do notice a difference though between an untinted windshield and tinted ... definately no need for sunglasses - at least for me!
Old 04-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have 5% on all windows and 35 on windshield..as long as when u roll up next to a cop and have your sunroof open and maybe ur front windows they dont give a &$#@ ...another thing make sure ur inspection sticker isnt behind the tint...if it is it is a dead give away that u have tint on ur windshield
Old 04-27-2005, 03:24 PM

i have 15% all around, and was pulled over for it a couple of weeks ago. I have no tint on my windshield, and he told me that my windshield was too dark along with my front windows. Im like wtf, its the way it came from the factory. I dunno, i'd like to have a 35% tint on the windshield, but knowing cops around here, id definitely get ****ed
Old 04-27-2005, 03:28 PM
vsamoylov

yeah 50% is cool but i think its too light for me. i just got 20% done like 2 weeks ago and i was going to get it tinted, but my windshield is cracked. so once i replace it, i will get it tinted. it is weird driving around and the sides and back is dark and the front is clear. but what about the stripe on teh windshield? do they tint over it or remove it?

Old 04-27-2005, 03:41 PM

the stock tint band on our windshields is actually within our glass

any tint put on the front windshield simply goes over it, therefore making it darker.....so you end up with a fully tinted windshield that still has a darker tinted band at the top
Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 PM

around how much does it cost to tint just the windshield? is it generally hard to find shops that will do it, or will most places do it?..
Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 PM

yeah, he said i was allowed to have that stock tint band, but the rest of the windshield was what was too dark...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by SJjR426
around how much does it cost to tint just the windshield? is it generally hard to find shops that will do it, or will most places do it?..
i would think al ltint shops should do it becasue if not they would be loosing money. they might say it is illegal but that is it.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by kormax97
wait so you think if i get something written from my doctor buddy saying i have some problems driving if my windows aren't tinted then i can get them?... interesting.. i wanna know more..

if ur optiomistrist writes basically a prescription/offical letter...and i think there is a form u have to fill out from teh DMV too....they will legally allow you to have tint on ur windsheild.....now i dunno if they want lke an actual eye exam or what but yea.......and i think the DMV gives u a card to keep in ur car saying whatever got the DMV and ask for the form adn really see what u have to do
Old 04-28-2005, 09:08 AM

5%

damn well i have 5% tints all around the car and its pretty dark in my car. im doing a 35% tint on da windshield dis weekend. so hopefully i cud keep da damned hot miami sun outta my maxima
Old 04-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

if you are in NY, well in NYC, u will get pulled over if ure front windshield is tinted...i got pulled over 15 times in 8 months since i had 20% all around, ive tried lowering windows, too late, sunroof, too late....they see u they see u....

when i went to get front tinted, they said they cant put anymore than a certain percentage or else it will seriously affect visability at night....i now have 35% in front two windows, 20 in back 2, and 5% in rear windshield...black on black interior, if i tinted the winshield u couldnt see a damn thing in my car....

but shyt id like that dmv shyt, ive got a friend at the dmv i gotta see wuts up, if its not easy, than i cant do it..
Old 04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
www.autotalk.com

35% on the windshield, 25% on teh sides and 15% on the rear windshield. I have no problems driving at night. Front windshield tint actually helps to keep the heat out of my black in***ior

Old 04-28-2005, 04:41 PM

I have a frontier with 35% on WS and at night its easy to see and at day the glares from peoples metal bumpers are completely gone!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got alot of friends on the job and a pocket full of PBA cards so I'm not that worried about tickets. After seeing Y2KSESteve's max I gonna get it done. Looks hot!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by joeeey
I got alot of friends on the job and a pocket full of PBA cards so I'm not that worried about tickets. After seeing Y2KSESteve's max I gonna get it done. Looks hot!

err? whats a pba card? (scanner and printer comes to mind lol)
Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VeN0m
err? whats a pba card? (scanner and printer comes to mind lol)
Partolmen's Benevolent Association card. It a card that only police officers can get and they give them out to there friends and family. If you get pulled over you show the card the the Officer and they will extend curtesy to ya and let you off.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
35% on the windshield, 25% on teh sides and 15% on the rear windshield. I have no problems driving at night. Front windshield tint actually helps to keep the heat out of my black in***ior

hey if u look at that black max on the side real good, it kind of looks like an 97 impala ss
Old 04-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Always sunny in philly

now im thinking about doing the front windshield as well. But as you all know the tint gets darker when it rains; if my windshield was replaced (without the OEM tint in the glass), should i go for the 50 or 35?

also, will the defroster hurt the tint?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Has anyone gotten pulled over for 35% all around in CA?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
now im thinking about doing the front windshield as well. But as you all know the tint gets darker when it rains; if my windshield was replaced (without the OEM tint in the glass), should i go for the 50 or 35?

also, will the defroster hurt the tint?
The day I got my windshield and sunroof tinted it was raining and I pulled out and was surprised of how clear and visible the road was. I mean I did have plenty of time to judge it, being I got stuck at a draw bridge on 1&9 that broke so I ended up looking through it for an hour and a half, lol but that's another story.

I'd say go 35%. You will not be dissapointed, nor upset and no give it like 3 days and then you'll be fine, but not like you'll need it anyway since it's springtime.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
The day I got my windshield and sunroof tinted it was raining and I pulled out and was surprised of how clear and visible the road was. I mean I did have plenty of time to judge it, being I got stuck at a draw bridge on 1&9 that broke so I ended up looking through it for an hour and a half, lol but that's another story.

I'd say go 35%. You will not be dissapointed, nor upset and no give it like 3 days and then you'll be fine, but not like you'll need it anyway since it's springtime.

it may be pretty clear on the inside, but how would it look on the outside? my main concern is when it rains, how would it be seen from others? i dont want to drive by cops and have them stare at my dark windshield...
Old 04-29-2005, 05:34 AM

I wonder.....what would a windshild tint look like on a 95 Arctic White Maxima SE? All the cars iv'e seen so far are dark '97+ cars. Thankfully, cops don't worry about such things as car tinting in Illinois......Just spend a summer here in Chi-town and you'll see why.

Quick Reply: Who has tinted windshield?