4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen B-Pipe install pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 03:33 PM

In case anyone is interested...

I replaced my Courtesy B-Pipe with the Stillen. So far I am very happy with the results. I was worried about getting rid of the resonator but the truth is (as I suspected) as long as you leave the stock muffler on all is FINE. And this is coming from a guy who removed the Stillen Muffler because he couldn't stand the annoying drone it made.

Pics and further opinions are at: http://www.greghome.com
Old 05-11-2001, 09:28 PM

what does the resonator really do?
Old 05-12-2001, 07:06 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GregP

I replaced my Courtesy B-Pipe with the Stillen. So far I am very happy with the results. I was worried about getting rid of the resonator but the truth is (as I suspected) as long as you leave the stock muffler on all is FINE. And this is coming from a guy who removed the Stillen Muffler because he couldn't stand the annoying drone it made.

Nice write-up and pics!

Are you looking for a new home for the Courtesy pipe
Old 05-12-2001, 07:25 AM

how much was the stillen b pipe? Are there any gains in power that you can feel? Is this the only exhaust mod that you have? Nice write up.
Old 05-12-2001, 07:29 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

nice work

as usual.
Old 05-12-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: nice work

Thanks guys.

The resonator eliminates the slight tinny sound that almost any car exhaust makes at certain RPMs. It is one more piecde which makes the stock Maxima exhaust EXTREMELY quiet. But it is not totally necessary and removing the resonator does not result in the car being loud. It sounds a little more tubular, like a Mustang GT but not loud from inside the cabin whatsoever.

In answer to another question - yes the Courtesy B IS looking for a new home! I will bring it to the Liberty State Park Meet and hopefuly someone will take it. I'll let it go for $100 even!! It is modified slightly so it will only fit on a Max which does NOT have the O2 sensor behind the cat, unless you want to weld an O2 port into it and eliminate your silly extension piece.

The Stillen B-Pipe was around $260 shipped.

-GP
Old 05-12-2001, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: nice work

Who had the best price on that. What was the part number.

Thanks
Paul

Thanks guys.

The resonator eliminates the slight tinny sound that almost any car exhaust makes at certain RPMs. It is one more piecde which makes the stock Maxima exhaust EXTREMELY quiet. But it is not totally necessary and removing the resonator does not result in the car being loud. It sounds a little more tubular, like a Mustang GT but not loud from inside the cabin whatsoever.

In answer to another question - yes the Courtesy B IS looking for a new home! I will bring it to the Liberty State Park Meet and hopefuly someone will take it. I'll let it go for $100 even!! It is modified slightly so it will only fit on a Max which does NOT have the O2 sensor behind the cat, unless you want to weld an O2 port into it and eliminate your silly extension piece.

The Stillen B-Pipe was around $260 shipped.

-GP
Old 05-12-2001, 04:28 PM

So Greg, two questions for ya. The Stillen B-pipe without the resonator costs more than a Courtesy with a resonator?

Second is noise. With the Courtesy and stock muffler, you noted that noise levels were almost stock. With the Stillen and stock muffler, you noted it sounded more tubular. How noticible is this from stock? Thanks.

btw, awesome addition to your page... it's cool that you keep documenting everything and your page actually changes!

-V
Old 05-12-2001, 04:37 PM

VMOK...

The Stillen B is more expensive than the Courtesy because, well, it's made by STILLEN. I think that's the only viable answer to that question.

The Stillen and Courtesy B-Pipes both do not make any nasty noises when used with the stock muffler. The kind of noises that usually bother the Maxima crowd are the ones made by straight-through rear sections. I am very sensitive to noise in the cabin - I DON'T LIKE IT!! Right now with the Stillen intake, Cattman SS Y-Pipe, RT Cat, Stillen B-Pipe and stock muffler my car is perfectly quiet. The only time it gets loud is if you really stomp on it from a stop, and then most of the noise comes from the intake. Put it this way - no one ever comments on the "noise" level of my car. No one even realizes it's been modded. Girls like it! So I like it too.

Glad you like the web site. Man it's grown in the past year. I try to be as objective as I can.

-GP
Old 05-12-2001, 11:21 PM

I asked earlier about performance. Could you comment on what type of performance addtitions you may have? It would be a shame to have all the mods and have no performance increase. I'm thinking about getting a b pipe with a stock exhaust
Old 05-13-2001, 05:21 PM

You're not going to gain huge performance numbers with a N/A car and a catback system. There are small gains near the top end, and the Stillen feels ever so slightly stronger than the Courtesy in the bottom end. Probably because of the lack of resonator.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Has any noticed any major differences between stillen's and courtesy's B-Pipes, as far as performance goes??
Old 05-14-2001, 11:57 AM

Hey Greg, did i add you to the list for the LSP meet? Well, i may be interested. I too have a 99 but i am Cali. I'm NOSed so all mods will help me a bit more then a N/A. If you have it still when the meet comes along, let me know. I want to take a look at it. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Diameter?

GregP:

Are the after-market pipes larger in diameter? Because I was thinking about just getting rid of the stock resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe.

Do you think this would work?? would it give me the same results as the after-market ones?

Thanks!

P.s. Nice pics!!
Old 05-15-2001, 06:42 PM

I will be at the Liberty Meet. I will bring the Courtesy pipe with me. Anyone who wants it can see it, feel it hold it - whatever. I'll let it go for $100 even. It is modified from what Courtesy delivers. See my we b page for an explanation...

Both the Courtesy and Stillen pipes eliminate the bends and crimps in the stock B. There is a definite performance advantage, although it is small. The Stillen seems slightly better than the Courtesy in terms of low end. I also prefer Stillen's design solution to the O2 sensor issue over Courtesy's (in my opinion) ver poor solution to the p;roblem.
Old 05-15-2001, 08:26 PM

hey greg looks good .... i dont think i could get rid of my greddy though .... thats just me... look forward to meeting you at the meet.