4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe & Muffler Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Y-Pipe & Muffler Install

OK, so finally!! It's about time I got my Budget Y-Pipe installed. I had the shop throw on a dual tip muffler as well. It looks great. However, since it was rainin all day today I didn't really get a chance to test out the Y-Pipes full potential, but it def. felt strong and powerful, but then again it could be all in my head.

Anyway, my concern is my car is pretty F-n loud now, which I didn't want. I don't know if the Y-Pipe alone will sound loud, but I want a nice lookin muffler as well with the dual tip like I have, I just don't want it to be so loud. It's actually a nice, mean loud growl type of hum, very nice but I just don't want my car to be so loud personally for my tastes. (if I could help it.) Can anybody help me out on what I should/could do? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:30 PM

The y-pipe itself will be noticeably louder, but you should be able to "crontrol" some of the loudness by the muffler you choose. I don't know what type you have but cat-back systems can add a ton of unwanted, annoying noise (think integra with cofee can muffler). These cat-backs can have nothing in front of them (y-pipe, headers, etc) and still be extremely loud all by themselves. You wanna keep the y-pipe for power, so focus on what type a quieter muffler you need. I have a dynomax "quiet" muffler that I got from warpspeed when I bought a y-pipe from them. It sounds louder than stock, but not too much and is a deeper, aggressive tone which I like. A good muffler can suppress more sound than the one you have right now it sounds like.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:45 PM
What was that?

Did you get the b-pipe with a resonator?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:46 PM

Nah, just got the Y-Pipe for the time being.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:48 PM
What was that?

A larger resonator would help muffle the sound. You can get one from budget and have a shop weld it on. This helped my overly loud exhaust. Also a change in the muffler can also have a great effect on the sound. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:46 PM

Yes I did get the bpipe w/resonator, can't imagine it without a resonator. Also, if your not already, use your stock cat to cut down on sound.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:30 PM

Get a large muffler also, the largest one you can fit in there. The larger, the quieter
Old 04-30-2005, 08:53 PM

did u get stainless? i'm gettin warpspeed on monday, aluminized for $ sakes
Old 04-30-2005, 08:58 PM
sunten1

:

Old 04-30-2005, 10:00 PM

I went with aluminized. I don't care how it looks w/stainless, I'm not under the car that often. Here is a pic of the dynomax clone "quiet" muffler with a 4" rolled chrome tip.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:45 PM
sunten1

Now do you have a sound clip or anything, if you can make one and need a host pm me or just email me the file sunnymistry52@hotmail.com

Old 05-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Team Ramrod

You will eventually get used to the loudness. My GReddy SP2 with my warpspeed super-flo are LOUD. Especially at idle or when i start it up, sounds like a camaro. Anyway, if you don't want it to be loud just get an oem muffler, and an aftermarket b-pipe, since the stock is restrictive.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Well, new news. Today for some reason it seems alot quieter than it did yesterday. LoL, maybe it needed a day to settle down, but I dunno. Anyways, I love how it sounds on the outside, but not in the cabin, but like I said it has gotten quieter. I do love the power tho, wow and I love the dual tip muffler. I'd like to take pics, which I can do but I only got a camera phone. I don't know how to record the exhaust, but I wish I could. Let me know sunten. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 AM

I don't know how to record the exhaust, but I wish I could. Let me know sunten. Thanks.
i believe there are these things called cameracorders nows
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know about you guys, but my warpspeed y-pipe didn't make my car much louder. It's the muffler thats making it loud.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:32 PM

I have a Budget y-pipe (stainless steel), coupled with the OEM muffler etc. and K&N panel filter. There is no discernible noise increase at idle or when cruising, only a slight growl at WOT which I kind of like.

I suspect your noise problems can be attributed to your muffler. I'm not sure if the aluminized Budget y-pipes make more noise than stainless steel, I suspect somewhat.

I was quite fearful of more noise when I ordered my y-pipe as I'm not into noise. I am more than satisfied with the product.

I would suggest getting an OEM 4th Gen or 5th Gen muffler and give the hook to the one you have now.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:06 PM
be the change u want2C

its your muffler, trust me, im dealing with this issue right now, and not just cause I want to, cause of ghey **** legislation just passed in chicago.!!! I need to find a nice looking quite muffler for my header back system, anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Mutes:

The extra noise is from your muffler. If you put on a an OEM muffler it will quite it down considerably, practically to stock levels. If want it to be quiet, but just little bit loader, so others know you are not stock, then I suggest a dynomax 'turbo' muffler. That is what I got and I love it...
Old 05-01-2005, 03:59 PM

I agree, it's your muffler. I took out the stillen cat back put the OEM back in and only have the y pipe and the injen intake, the car sounds almost just like stock up to 4k RPM, then after that it just sounds really awesome and menacing.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
i believe there are these things called cameracorders nows
I belive to get those they use a thing that's called money. Secondly, why would I go buy a Camcorder just to record sound. You're stupid.

Anywhom, i30ds, yeah man you're def. right it is the muffler, but it has seemed to quiet down a little bit more so I'll see how I feel with it for the next week or so.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:11 PM

I belive to get those they use a thing that's called money. Secondly, why would I go buy a Camcorder just to record sound. You're stupid.
jeez calm down i was just tryin to be humerous, nothin personal
Old 05-01-2005, 05:13 PM

There is no discernible noise increase at idle or when cruising, only a slight growl at WOT which I kind of like.
slight growl like the CAI's? i have a resonated straight pipe, custom b pipe, and a CAI.
i dunno if that make a big diff in sound
Old 05-01-2005, 07:12 PM
sunten1

Why not borrow one from a friend/family/school/build one???

Old 05-02-2005, 10:42 AM

Old 05-02-2005, 12:13 PM

the dual tip looks a bit...off... to me. At least maybe on an I30.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 PM

I finally got my y-pipe and my flow master 40 series on...it sounds amazingly looouuuddd!!! (BTW, I have bees in the can) but I think that has helped my engine pulls harder....I already had a faulty MAF and replaced it after the y-pipe being installed...so I didn't know exactly what's the difference between bone stock and with y-pipe on...the only thing I know is that I want to race my buddy with a 2K celica gts 6 speeds wich ran 15.1 1/4 mile last summer with TRD exhaust and CAI...do you guys think that it could happen?? my setup is actually short shifter, CAI, budget y-pipe, flowmaster exhaust, ngk iridium plugs,....

thanks!

J-p
Old 05-05-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jp_cout
I finally got my y-pipe and my flow master 40 series on...it sounds amazingly looouuuddd!!! (BTW, I have bees in the can) but I think that has helped my engine pulls harder....I already had a faulty MAF and replaced it after the y-pipe being installed...so I didn't know exactly what's the difference between bone stock and with y-pipe on...the only thing I know is that I want to race my buddy with a 2K celica gts 6 speeds wich ran 15.1 1/4 mile last summer with TRD exhaust and CAI...do you guys think that it could happen?? my setup is actually short shifter, CAI, budget y-pipe, flowmaster exhaust, ngk iridium plugs,....

thanks!

J-p

You can smoke a gts 6 speed celica stock, maybe not smoke but atleast walk dont make less power and a lot less torque than us, grant it they have weigh ton their side but not by that much, plus you have a y-pipe. You'll take him.

Why did you put iridium plugs in the car? unless your boosted or spraying then they arent needed, and can reduce your performance.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:32 AM

so let me get this straight guys... if i just install the y-pipe and keep everything else stock, i will definately get some extra horses and maintain the same level of noise from my stock muffler and still pass smog checks???

i only ask cause i used to have dc headers and hks exhaust/intake on my integra and i got a bunch of complaint from my neighbors for noise. but my maxima seems so slow now and i need some more acceleration power.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:28 AM

bump......
Old 05-06-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by browne
so let me get this straight guys... if i just install the y-pipe and keep everything else stock, i will definately get some extra horses and maintain the same level of noise from my stock muffler and still pass smog checks???

i only ask cause i used to have dc headers and hks exhaust/intake on my integra and i got a bunch of complaint from my neighbors for noise. but my maxima seems so slow now and i need some more acceleration power.
You eliminate two precats (from the stock y-pipe) when you install an aftermarket y-pipe. By doing this you'll increase the noise a little bit, but it is NOTHING compared to the noise you'll hear if you put on a muffler. Personally I noticed almost no increase in noise with my y-pipe.

And depeding on your state's smog laws, modifying or removing emissions components (precats) is illegal. Since you're in cali, y-pipes are labeled for "off road use" only. Some members with y-pipes have passed smog inspections in cali and some don't. You can always switch back to stock to do the smog.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:41 PM

I hope that I will smoke him!! heheh but the fact is..when I tried to race qith him, I was bone stock and th MAF was faulty...the reason I bought Iridium plugs is that I couldn't find any other brand in NGK....the only model was the iridium one....so I bought it...I reached 225 KM/H (140 MPH) before the y-pipe being installed....what is the top speed of a max's with these mods (CAI, y-pipe, flow master,...)??

thanks!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

Mutes, car looks nice. Any aftermarket muffler will be louder than stock. I'm assuming you want to keep the dual tips. To solve your problem, get a resonator. A really big one, 22" to be exact. I got one to quiet down my y-pipe, intake, and magnaflow exhaust. Everyone knows magnaflows are loud because they are straight flow. I did this, and the car is really deep and not loud unless WOT.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 AM

Thanks guys and thanks hector. Please excuse my ignorance, but where exactly would this resonator be placed? Def. wanna keep the dual tip so I'm really lookin into what you suggested.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:36 PM

I have a warspeed y-pipe with a custom made midpipe and a dynomax "turbo" muffler with a 3.5" tip welded on...it gives a nice deep growl like a WRX. My max on roids!