4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tape to strengthen CF Hood????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:23 AM

Tape to strengthen CF Hood????

i jus showed my friend my Cf hood and he was impressed, he was telling me about something he saw other people doing witht their carbon fiber hoods to strengthen it and have less flexing.

they were using this type of tape, he described it as a hard very sticky tape, sorta like tar paper, needs to be heated with a heat gun to mold it over ineven surfaces. it was very hard to bend and flex and people were putting strips of on the underbody skeleton of the CF hood and it stiffened it up so if you push down on the hood, it wont flex as much and when driving the wind wont be able to flex the hood.

it seems like a good idea but i wanted to run this by you guys to see if any of you heard of it. its not tar paper but he says it looks just like it and its more like a plastic type material which is very sticky, he says once its installed it would be hell to remove. im thinking this may be similar to that tape nascar and race car drivers use when there is body dammage, they slap it on so the car can continue to go 100+ mph without it braking off.

any idea where i can find this stuff, is it worth it, will it provide additional strength to the hood.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Magikone69
i jus showed my friend my Cf hood and he was impressed, he was telling me about something he saw other people doing witht their carbon fiber hoods to strengthen it and have less flexing.

they were using this type of tape, he described it as a hard very sticky tape, sorta like tar paper, needs to be heated with a heat gun to mold it over ineven surfaces. it was very hard to bend and flex and people were putting strips of on the underbody skeleton of the CF hood and it stiffened it up so if you push down on the hood, it wont flex as much and when driving the wind wont be able to flex the hood.

it seems like a good idea but i wanted to run this by you guys to see if any of you heard of it. its not tar paper but he says it looks just like it and its more like a plastic type material which is very sticky, he says once its installed it would be hell to remove. im thinking this may be similar to that tape nascar and race car drivers use when there is body dammage, they slap it on so the car can continue to go 100+ mph without it braking off.

any idea where i can find this stuff, is it worth it, will it provide additional strength to the hood.

Uh, is it able to withstand the heat of the engine without coming off. If its applied with heat, wouldnt the heat from the motor just continously keep it soft and gunky?
Also, how much more weight would it add to the hood?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 PM

lol all of that which you mentioned is exactly what im tryin to find out, im guessing this will def add a lil weight, i cant say how much, i doubt it will be enough to notice a difference in performance.

i jus wanted to see if anyone here know what i was talkin bout and can give me a name, my friend jus calls it reinforcement tape but im searchin around and cant find anything under that name/description.

i think it would be a good idea if it truly works, jus wanted to get some more info.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
kormax97

sounds like a dyna mat material type.. who knows..

Old 05-02-2005, 07:28 PM

any other ideas, maybe this hasnt reached the maxima guys yet, i may have to keep an eye on the 240sx guys, they are very creative on s#it like this

anyone else heard of this