4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What exactly is this? *Pic inside*

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Blah + Arg = Blarg

What exactly is this? *Pic inside*

I started hearing rattling noises which I originally thought was coming from the front of my car. Turns out it's underneath the car between the driver and passenger side of the car. What is this piece?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 PM
sunten1

Heat shield...go to some exhuast shop and have then torch it off and put on a new one..i had the same problem

Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 PM

ur cat is very very rusty
Old 05-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Blah + Arg = Blarg

Originally Posted by g4nismo
ur cat is very very rusty
Indeed it is. I might just replace the cat altogether. Thank you all for your help.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:45 PM

Indeed it is. I might just replace the cat altogether. Thank you all for your help.
don't try replacing the cat urself. i tried it and failed. go to a shop and have em blow torch the bolts off. then go buy a straight or high flow cat
Old 05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Black Maxima

Yea that's the bracket the heat shield mounts to. My heat shield fell off last week. I heard it when it was loose and then ran over it when it fell off driving down the road. I'm still hearing some noises, could be the bracket. I'm about to check it out.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by g4nismo
don't try replacing the cat urself. i tried it and failed. go to a shop and have em blow torch the bolts off. then go buy a straight or high flow cat

A straight pipe doesnt yeild any great gains, and HI Flow cats dont either.
Best bet is to just find the cheapest one available.
Save money fopr a Y pipe if you dont have one already.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

a high flow cat will yeild great gains if in the future you plan on doing a full exhaust. whats the point of having a 2 1/2inch exhaust if you have a 1 7/8inch cat? plus a new high flow cat from warpspeed performance is only $100.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by larryseibel
a high flow cat will yeild great gains if in the future you plan on doing a full exhaust. whats the point of having a 2 1/2inch exhaust if you have a 1 7/8inch cat? plus a new high flow cat from warpspeed performance is only $100.

It will NOT yeild great gains. Even with a catback exhaust. Catbacks do not give great gains unless you are boosted and have 3 in piping.
They do help, but not real big power makers.
What will yeild good gains is the Y pipe which eliminates the two precats in the OEM y pipe.
The OEM cat is pretty free flowing due to the precats in the Y pipe.
A straight pipe is the most free flowing way to go, and straight pipes only yeild 1-2 HP at the most.
Here is a discussion I had with Cattman in regards to their HI flow cat

(ME)
Just curious, and maybe someone can carify. How can a Catalytic convertor be modded to yeild higher gains then a straight pipe?
Cattman
You are correct to say its not possible for the cat to make more power than a straight pipe under identical circumstances
To effectively compare our new cat with a stright pipe would require testing a straight pipe that day, on that dyno, on the same car. I suspect that there wouldn't be much difference in the results, but as you say, there'd be no basis for the cat to outperform the straight pipe.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:56 PM

dang, your cat is so rusty it doesnt even look like a cat anymore. get it replaced.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
It will NOT yeild great gains. Even with a catback exhaust. Catbacks do not give great gains unless you are boosted and have 3 in piping.
They do help, but not real big power makers.
What will yeild good gains is the Y pipe which eliminates the two precats in the OEM y pipe.
The OEM cat is pretty free flowing due to the precats in the Y pipe.
A straight pipe is the most free flowing way to go, and straight pipes only yeild 1-2 HP at the most.
Here is a discussion I had with Cattman in regards to their HI flow cat

(ME)

Cattman

great gains is an exageration but again...whats the point in having a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and a 1 7/8 inch cat?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:50 PM

well if ur about saving weight, straight pipes do help a bit