4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen Y-pipe....im starting to hate it.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Hella internets

Stillen Y-pipe....im starting to hate it.....

After installing my stillen y pipe, i get this extremely anoying INCONSISTENT vibration when im stopped in drive...

It goes away if im in nuetral or park, but in drive...when i pull to a stop at a light, it will vibrate my whole car like CRAZY. Its not a vibration from contact...cause i have checked everywhere for rubbin from the pipe...the fitment is perfect... i have no idea what this could be..

ive checked my motor mounts (they look perfect) ive replaced every gasket from the manifold to the TB thinking it could be an air leak.....ive inspected the pipe NUMEROUS times for leaks or loose bolts... everything is fine....

anyone have any tips for me? im starting to want to take this thing off... but i love the gains lol
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Hella internets

bump before i goto bed...
Old 05-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The pipe might be hitting something and your hearing the noise in the cabin.
The pipe itself doesn't cause your car to vibrate. A low idle speed, engine miss or bad motor mounts can cause engine vibrations to be transmitted into the cabin.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check to make sure your idle isn't set too low. When your car idles in drive it idles lower than in park/nuetral. Makes sense to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 AM

check the brackets that hold the y pipe in place might be touching. dont blame the y pipe blame the installer
Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Licensed to Spell

It is the bracket where the Y meets the cat. You need to bend it for clearance. You'll see it when you are under there. You can bend it by hand.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by ptatohed
It is the bracket where the Y meets the cat. You need to bend it for clearance. You'll see it when you are under there. You can bend it by hand.
i have been reading about this, but i have tried this as well. unless im bending the wrong portion of the bracket. Do any of you have any pictures that might be able to help me out?

as for the idle, it is fine. I have tried raising it, lowering it...everything....its not a low idle vibration, i am familiar with that. As for my installation, i doubt i did anything wrong....Its not that difficult to install a y pipe.

pictures would be greatly appreciated..
Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Hella internets

ok...maybe a picture is asking too much? can someone tell me if you bend the bracket away fromt he y pipe or towards the y pipe?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by XeroX
ok...maybe a picture is asking too much? can someone tell me if you bend the bracket away fromt he y pipe or towards the y pipe?

When you are under your car, try to mimick a worse case scenerio. Take your Y-pipe (downstream near the cat) and shake it vigariously. You should then see what is hitting. If I remember correctly, the bracket on the driver side of the cat (upstream) needs to be bent away from the Y.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 PM

tell you the truth i ripped mine off. not a problem since
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by maxboogie
tell you the truth i ripped mine off. not a problem since
i would do this but i dont want to add extra stress to the rest of the exaust hangars, all that stuff is down there for a reason...removing that can cause the rest of the hangars to wear out faster...

btw, i actually have already done that (shake the pipe vigorously) and its not reallly hitting ANYTHING, im starting to think if this vibration is even caused by my y pipe?

what else could be causing vibrations like this?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Armed and Dangerous

btw, i actually have already done that (shake the pipe vigorously) and its not reallly hitting ANYTHING, im starting to think if this vibration is even caused by my y pipe?

what else could be causing vibrations like this?
THis is what I am thinking. Its not sounding like it is the y at all. Exactly how bad is the vibration?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by i30ds
THis is what I am thinking. Its not sounding like it is the y at all. Exactly how bad is the vibration?
its actualy VERY inconsistent, sometimes its just normal, and sometimes it get really bad. my whole dash will vibrate like a massage vibrator lol. but it all goes away the minute i start exelerating...

could it be a bad coil? i mean i havent thrown any misfire codes or anything for that matter so i dont think it has anything to do with that. is it possible that i have a mount thats ready to go? cause i have looked at them many of times, and they all look find to me...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Hella internets

bump for help........
Old 05-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Hella internets

bump again..........
Old 05-10-2005, 03:55 PM

probably not a bad coil, you would notice sh*tty performance. when my coil(s) went bad under warrenty, it was definately apparent something was up

i have random vibrations too, they are not very dash-shaking, but i feel them in the auto-shifter, and in the gas pedal. im thinking of doing this soon: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=dave+mod

seems like Dave figured out the un-smoothness was caused by his Y

-mike
Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
brad kay

i have also had really bad vibrations ever since i put on a stillen Y-pipe last summer.. but i don't think the virbrations are in any way connected to the y-pipe. Vibration happens when sitting stopped with the car in gear, or accelerating slowly at low RPMs in any gear. Attributing it to IAC valve or throttle body both needing cleaning up.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:17 PM

I've had the Stillen y-pipe since '99.

From day one, I've have the additional vibration coming up through the car. Its only when you come to a stop and in drive. I've lived with it ever since. Been throught 60k and 100K tuneups, muffler changes, new exhaust hangers and the vibration never went away. This probably did not help, but just to let you know that you are not alone.
Barry, (now in NJ)
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bend that cat bracket to where ever you need to to get rid of the noise. Look around it and any possible contact points you see bend them. There are a couple of nipple type things that the rubber hangers from the cat shield thing go to. Make sure that the metal brackets are clear of these.

Also read this thread by Dave B:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=dave+mod
Old 05-10-2005, 11:30 PM

pictures would help...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:39 PM

to bad i dont live in napa or vallejo i would fix it for u. if ur ever gunna head this way tell me and ill help u if i have time.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:40 PM

i had the same problem and just put a hose clamp to hold it down and tach welded it
Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 PM

ill give you my stock y-pipe for it =P... haha jk like you reallly would.. but yea id ono