4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What Coilovers in your opinion is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
brooklynK3Y

What Coilovers in your opinion is the best?

Like the topic says, I want to really drop my baby, so it could look even better on the 2k rims, So i got the chance to drop it.. But I dont want springs/struts.. want to go beyond and get coilovers, So which would be the best to get?

Old 05-09-2005, 01:22 PM
brooklynK3Y

Some pics if you are riding on coils would be helpful also.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Go Get a Life!

Eibach GC
I never had any problems with them.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM

maxfanatic plz Im me on AIM jjacob513
Old 05-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

kei office type GU for a32 maxima..
Old 05-09-2005, 03:01 PM
SomePsychoGuy

The best? JIC FLT-A2 but they cost $1700.

D2s and Ksports are new ones that are becoming popular.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:17 PM

Coilovers Suck!!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaxFanatic
Some pics if you are riding on coils would be helpful also.
Pics are kind of useless since the drop of the car is totally controllable.

I'm riding on Progress Technology Coilovers. Designed specifically for the Maxima (so I've been told), ride height adjustable, uses factory perch/bearings which eliminates noises/metal to metal contact noises, but no dampening control, $1000.

They come unassembled and require some parts of the factory front struts. The rear coilovers don't require any factory shock parts.

Originally Posted by DrTySOUFMaX23
Coilovers Suck!!
Would you care to back that up with some knowledge/experience?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Pics are kind of useless since the drop of the car is totally controllable.

I'm riding on Progress Technology Coilovers. Designed specifically for the Maxima (so I've been told), ride height adjustable, uses factory perch/bearings which eliminates noises/metal to metal contact noises, but no dampening control, $1000.

They come unassembled and require some parts of the factory front struts. The rear coilovers don't require any factory shock parts.

Would you care to back that up with some knowledge/experience?
damn right i could!! i used to have some OBX coilovers and after bout 3 months i broke my rear struts and at the time i didnt know that it was the coilovers that causing them to bust so i bought some new TOKICO 5 WAY STRUTS and after a few months i broke them again.so i kept buying and buying and buying until i've had it, i prolly spent at least a lil over $1000 just buying struts..then my fren at a performance shop told me that it was my coilovers thats causing it to break then that's when he introduced me to H&R's lowering springs so i got them and my car looks a tiny hair bit higher when i had the coilovers but it rides so smooth, low,comfortable,kinda like riding stock but low!! GOTTA LOVE H&R.....
Old 05-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

damn right i could!! i used to have some OBX coilovers and after bout 3 months i broke my rear struts and at the time i didnt know that it was the coilovers that causing them to bust so i bought some new TOKICO 5 WAY STRUTS and after a few months i broke them again.so i kept buying and buying and buying until i've had it, i prolly spent at least a lil over $1000 just buying struts..then my fren at a performance shop told me that it was my coilovers thats causing it to break then that's when he introduced me to H&R's lowering springs so i got them and my car looks a tiny hair bit higher when i had the coilovers but it rides so smooth, low,comfortable,kinda like riding stock but low!! GOTTA LOVE H&R.....
That sucks bro! Is OBX cheap stuff? Were they ride height adjustable? Tokico makes struts that are ride height adjustable? I'm shocked your Tokico's broke too. Wierd. I have no problems with my coilovers, and I have no problems with my HKS coilovers on my Supra, so... I'm pretty happy with coilovers.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 PM

i just recieved my Ksports today, will be installing tomarrow, but jics are supposed to be the best of the best.. but also the most expensive of em all
Old 05-11-2005, 03:08 PM

That's doesn't mean coilovers suck. That means OBX coilovers suck.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Back from the dead

i can personally say that the tein coilovers are worth the money, and that they handle perfectly, and they dont break anything....
Old 05-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
That's doesn't mean coilovers suck. That means OBX coilovers suck.
yup, thats true!! OBX coilovers suck, i sent my old OBX coilovers back to the OBX ppl along wit a very disturbing letter and also told em to take those coilovers and shove it up their poop hole and go to hell.. ever since that crap happened i kinda lost my trust on coilovers but i would really want to get some good ones that wont break my struts no matter what kind of driving i do.. i wanna lower my car maybe 2 more inches but wit my H&R springs i dont think i can do that unless i cut it...
Old 05-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I never narc'd on nobody.

any fake coilovers are gonna be crap. just get the real thing, it may cost a bit more, but in the end, as DrTySOUFMaX23 probably learned, itll save you money. no one wants to spend $1k on struts, just buy real coilovers from the beginning and be done with it.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

THE dilemma comes in when you look at it. Im at the point now that i want to drop my car but looking at it, by the time you get the rear mounts, struts, springs, etc its going to be 600 something, get a set of ksports and be over it. Seem to be standup and good product, just like the d2 (Just watch the source); the two of them seem to offer more options than the tein basics, though/
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
www.autotalk.com

Term "best" is all relative. Depends how much you can spend. JICs are the best ones right now but then again are tons of $$. Ride quality is better than most of the spring/struts combo

Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 PM

whats the difference between Ksports and the tein basics?...these are the 2 im looking at, I know the d2's are crap and make a lot of noise.....the jics are sick but wayyyy to much $$ ..... max4speed's max is just plain sick, im very jealous
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM

umm only difference that i can tell from what i have read, is that the ksports are adjustable dampening, the teins are not. actually if you go into the ksport GD you can find a lot of info, one guy did a TON of research and posted a lot of what he found in there.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Does anybody in here actually setup coil-overs correctly or are you all just buying them for a drop?

Coil overs should be set up by corner weighing the vehicle. If that process isn't done, your handling isn't any better then a quality spring and strut combination. In some cases, it can actually be worse because of uneven (left to right) spring tension. Ride height isn't the proper way to set up a coil over suspension system.

Once the ride height is set, the corner weights must be equaled.

Thats when you get true handling from installing an advanced suspension setup.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Does anybody in here actually setup coil-overs correctly or are you all just buying them for a drop?

Coil overs should be set up by corner weighing the vehicle. If that process isn't done, your handling isn't any better then a quality spring and strut combination. In some cases, it can actually be worse because of uneven (left to right) spring tension. Ride height isn't the proper way to set up a coil over suspension system.

Once the ride height is set, the corner weights must be equaled.

Thats when you get true handling from installing an advanced suspension setup.
Many here have done all that correctly. I for one have tried 3 different spring combo's all followed by cornerweightings and aligns. What's your question?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My question was wheather or not people running coil overs actually use corner scales to set up a coil over suspension system.

I doubt most on here do that.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:16 AM

Coil Over really SUCK... I would only get a true coil over system aka damper system... The best ones to my knowledge are the JICs FLT-A2s but thats if
have the money to afford em ($1,800)... The next best is the TEIN Basic Damper, Only
these are non damper adjustable but they only cost 700-800 dollars... Im going with the Teins cause I've heard nothing but good things bout them...
Old 05-14-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by enomik-1
Coil Over really SUCK... I would only get a true coil over system aka damper system... The best ones to my knowledge are the JICs FLT-A2s but thats if
have the money to afford em ($1,800)... The next best is the TEIN Basic Damper, Only
these are non damper adjustable but they only cost 700-800 dollars... Im going with the Teins cause I've heard nothing but good things bout them...
Wow. Uninformed post. The Ksports can do much more than the Teins ever could and are similarly priced.

Key Features:

* 36-way adjustable dampening
* Made from high quality 6061 Aluminum with T6 for increased hardness
* Compression/Rebound adjustable
* Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment
* Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension travel
* Pillow Ball Top Mount w/ adjustable camber
* Monotube High Pressure Design reduces oil leakage
* Electroplated body for protection from corrosion and rust
* One Year Limited Warranty
...(Taken from the GD forum thread) Ksport 1 - Tein 0

Research before you spout ish outta you know where...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:18 AM

Ground Control Coilovers with Eibach Springs and KYB Struts...good combo. But i have heard very good things about the tein coilovers as well.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

if you gonna get coilovers, then get the complete coilover system. not just sleeve type coilovers(OBX, GroundControl, etc.) I just got cattman coilovers and I'm loving the handling and the drop. It handles real nice. You can't compare the coilovers to spring/strut.