4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'97 GLE vs. '99 Mazda 626 V6 5-spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 09:58 PM

Okay, I was cruising down the highway with my fiance, full tank, chrome 17's, intake, and no spare, and saw a car with hyper whites coming up on my rear view and I figured I'll show him up, or at least, give him a good run. I flash the hazards and I see his car jerk as if he knew it was on. As soon as he gets next to me, I floor it and notice that I was pulling on him at around 80 and was about 2 car lengths at about 110 coming to a stop light. At the light there was only one lane open to be first and I let him go ahead of me so I can get a good look at his car from the rear. I noticed that it was a Mazda 626 V6 (5-spd by the way it shifting, very jerky), I had one last year, but it was an auto 4-cylinder which was very slow. I noticed that he looked basically stock (170 HP), no exhaust, just a sticker near his front wheel well that said "Mazda Speed". I'm like "okay, I can crush this guy, I'll let him go first, and I'll pull up next to him on the right side and pass him...". I was wrong. Light turned green and he was off. I just couldn't even gain on him. About 80, he was beginning to drift away and about 110 he was about 3 car lengths in front of me. He got me on that one, but then to top it off, he lets me get in front of him and I'm the first at the next light, now he's trailing me. Light turns green and I floor it and chirp the wheels a bit (overdrive off until about 80) and about 60 I see him get in the lane next to me and about 80 he's right there next to me. Aboout 110, he's got me by 2 car lengths going uphill and he's still drifting away. At that time, I'm lookin at my car like it let me down so much, just because I had the feeling like I could really get out on him. When I had my 626, I never knew of anyone making intakes, chips, etc. for them. He might have had something under the hood. Now I'm looking at my car like as if its a waste of time to even mod it if I can't even take a stock 626 V6. I guess 5-spds really pull, or maybe I kept losing because I had extra weight. He didn't have any passengers and I did, that could be a possible factor, but its not like my fiance is heavy. I also know that my wheels weigh me down a lot and he had stocks. I don't know. Just wanted to post my loss and hear some opinions. Sorry for the ever-so-long post, just wanted to describe all the details. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-13-2001, 10:19 PM

I've driven 626s with the V6 engine, and they are not fast cars, every one I've ever driven was downright sluggish.

I would bet he had some light NOS or something going, I used to crush 626s all the time in my 3rd gens.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:47 PM
SLOW

I dont know times except for the V6 Auto 98+ 626... 9.2 seconds 0-60. i DO however know that the 93-98 LS-V6 5 speed (the only trim level with V6 that was available in a 5 speed) ran 0-60 in 7.5, according to one of the major mags, and 7.7 according to the other, and 15.5 and 15.7, respectivly. those ones were the same drivetrain as the probe GT/MX6, 164 hp and 170 ft lb. i'll assume that the current generation 626 V6 5 speed has just about the same acceleration numbers, only 6 more hp, and about the same weight. and there are some companies that make parts for them... hotshot makes headers, PRD makes a cold air intake.... exhausts are available, short shifters, suspension upgrades, etc.

Neal
Old 05-14-2001, 12:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is funny because I raced a late model V6 626 last night too! Except the turn out was a little different I was driving my 95 5spd max{not my SC I30} on the highway and I see some dude in a 626 exelerating fairly quickly so I pull up a long side of him and just tap my accelerater so my car nudges forward for a second, and low and behold the guy romps on it and gets right next to me so I drop it in 2nd at 50mph and say bye, bye, off I go leaving him way in the dust. After completly whipping his *** I flash my hazards and slow down, then I notice a minute later him comming up on me fast{maybe 85 mph} while I was going about 65mph so I slip my car into 3rd right when he comes flying up next to me and I see his car just even out with mine slowly as I gain speed and then I just walked him "Again". The whole time I was cursing saying if I had my damn I30 I would have blown this guys doors off rather then just walked him! Good thing I am getting my I30 back tomarrow{probabaly}.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:02 AM
kit

well, i would say u r not lucky. u meet some 626 with something under the hood.
it shouldn't be fast. it can only go along with altima, even with a V6 engine.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:32 AM

My last car was a 5 speed 626 LX V6. All I had on it was a K&N filter and an exhaust. My cousin swears it's faster than the Max (my ex-wife had a stock 96 5 speed at the time)but I beg to differ. The Mazda was pretty awesome in fourth gear from about 80-110 but the Max has lots of torque dowm low and shouldn't present a problem for us.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
... . Aboout 110, he's got me by 2 car lengths ... Let me know what you guys think.
It's irresponsible and dangerous to drive 110 mph on a public road.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:51 AM

Since it was a 5spd there was no chance for you . My sister's mx6 V6 with just a CAI pulls 4th gen auto's with ease. Her 4th gear is pretty wicked from 80-105mph, that is when she pulls on my se-r. Both of our cars can keep up with 4th gen 5spds somewhat.
Old 05-14-2001, 11:18 AM

I have a 97 626 V6 Too

In addition to my 97 Max I have a 97 626 V6, it's pretty peppy but it doesn't even come close to comparing with the Max ,sure 4th gear is great in the 626 , But the Max is great as soon as you hit the gas pedal. The 626 is also less unreliable.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:28 PM

They aren't that fast. Even with a CAI, they shouldn't be a problem for a Maxima. I'm guessing that guy had much more under the hood. Even though I have an auto, I can take a 5spd. 626/MX6 with no problem. As far one pulling on a 4th gen. auto, well, haven't had one pulled on me yet. Don't sweat it, you just need more mods.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
They aren't that fast. Even with a CAI, they shouldn't be a problem for a Maxima. I'm guessing that guy had much more under the hood. Even though I have an auto, I can take a 5spd. 626/MX6 with no problem. As far one pulling on a 4th gen. auto, well, haven't had one pulled on me yet. Don't sweat it, you just need more mods.
Thanks for the info, I do need more performance mods, but right now, I'm doing mostly cosmetics. I just received my Diamond Cut Bumper Lenses (really nice), and my Indiglo Gauges are coming in the mail. So for now, its just an intake doing most of the work and the chrome wheels basically defeat the purpose, but I am deciding on getting lighter wheels. Its just a pain to know that whenever that guy sees me again on the road, its like he has bragging rights. I feel as my car is all show and no go if that guy could walk me. Give me a few weeks and maybe I'll have more mods in it. Its just sometimes people say "You can't build a race car out of an auto..." so I stay away from the performance mods, but maybe one day I'll start getting all the piping done.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Thanks for the info, I do need more performance mods, but right now, I'm doing mostly cosmetics. I just received my Diamond Cut Bumper Lenses (really nice), and my Indiglo Gauges are coming in the mail. So for now, its just an intake doing most of the work and the chrome wheels basically defeat the purpose, but I am deciding on getting lighter wheels. Its just a pain to know that whenever that guy sees me again on the road, its like he has bragging rights. I feel as my car is all show and no go if that guy could walk me. Give me a few weeks and maybe I'll have more mods in it. Its just sometimes people say "You can't build a race car out of an auto..." so I stay away from the performance mods, but maybe one day I'll start getting all the piping done.

The Maxima isn't a race car by any means, but it doesn't mean you can't put a few stuff on it to make it faster. And who cares if you have an auto. You can build an auto up too. Of course, a 5spd. Maxima, mod for mod should able to take us auto. Take domestics for example, many of the fastest domestics have an auto tranny. So, people who say that just because you have an auto, you shouldn't mod your car is a fool. Even we auto Maximas aren't slow at all. As far as mods, a CAI and y-pipe make a big difference. Especially, the y-pipe.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

The Maxima isn't a race car by any means, but it doesn't mean you can't put a few stuff on it to make it faster. And who cares if you have an auto. You can build an auto up too. Of course, a 5spd. Maxima, mod for mod should able to take us auto. Take domestics for example, many of the fastest domestics have an auto tranny. So, people who say that just because you have an auto, you shouldn't mod your car is a fool. Even we auto Maximas aren't slow at all. As far as mods, a CAI and y-pipe make a big difference. Especially, the y-pipe.
Oh I know, the y-pipe will still make its way on the car in a little while .