4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hows your handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Hows your handling?

How many of you all, if any, can say your maxima handles exceptionally good? for those of you that can, what parts do you have all the way down to the tire. Im asking because im ready for a turbo, but i dont want the power if the car isnt going to do good in the twisties. I already dont like the fact that it is FWD, and i dont want to throw all my money away if its a lost cause.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

D2 coilovers, FSTB, stillen RSB. i like to think i can handle reasonably well. these cars are FWD with a single axle in the back, thats not much to work with, but its fun.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:24 PM
sunten1

Well most people will say drop it.
But right now I am running with just a FSTB from Paradox System.
I am on stock SE rims with Toyo TPT tires. I like how my car handles but I most definetly want to drop it.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:26 PM

my maxima USED To handle awsome before my accident which caused frame damage and twisted the chasis. All I had was an Addco rear sway bar, ebay front strut bar, and 235-45 tires on 17" rims. My brother had a 94 supra tt auto back then and he said my maxima handled tighter around turns than the supra!!!! and it really did! I was also riding on stock struts/springs.

I loved the way it used to handle. The 17s made the biggest difference in my opinion. Without grip, nothing else matters.

-Paul
Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 PM
THT
Throbbing member

My Maxima handles very well. I'm lowered on H&R springs and Illumina struts set to 4 in front and 3 in the rear. I'm also running SSR GT1 integrals with 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. The other day, I had a 'Teg riding my bumper so I took him through some curvy streets and manhandled him.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:05 PM

No body roll is nice in the twisties.

Tein Coilovers
fstb
17x8 EVO 5's w 235/45 cooper zeon zpt's

And we can't forget the braking either...
12.6" slotted iRotors Maxima rotors w/300zx 30mm aluminum calipers
PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads
SS lines

I would love a RSB and stage 2 SFC's.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love the way my car handles now(just got suspension) im dropped on Ksport coilovers, with a otto racing strut bar, plan to get a rsb soon
Old 05-13-2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
I love the way my car handles now(just got suspension) im dropped on Ksport coilovers, with a otto racing strut bar, plan to get a rsb soon
whats UP mr. DUCK? ... im anxious to hear about those Ksports!?... ive learned the D2's are crap so its between the tein basics and the Ksports...you should post a full write up on how you like the ride now and everything thats good/bad about it ... im jealous, I want some coilovers!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My car handles & rides excellent with H&R/Tokico Illuminas, Motovational rear mounts, FSTB, Addco rear anti-sway, 235/45/HR17 HTR+ Sumitomos.

It accellerates nicely with a modified factory intake setup and a Warpspeed Y pipe.

Stopping power is provided by Brembo Nickle plated X-drilled rotors and TRW Ceramic pads.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Conecarver

With enough work the A32/A33 can handle. I myself have spend more on susp than a turbo costs as cornering and handling is more important than straightline speed. If you just want to drive hard it's fine. If you're planning on Club Racing and being competitive then I'd suggest another platform.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:22 AM
The original VQ...

I have tein coilovers to,
i just want to ask you guys, is your car slighly bouncy with them on highway bumps, if im on a turn at a high speed i can feel the rear end hop and kick over alot.

Any one else notice this?

But when its smooth it handles awsome, just the roads in my area suck...

keep in mind tires are still very imporant, you can have every mod in the world but with crappy tires it will handle like crap...
Old 05-14-2005, 08:53 AM

I kinda like how the rear ends of my A32 moves around a bit over the bumps. Feels oversteery.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:58 AM

It handles well, it just doesn't feel good doing it, well stock anyways.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

I'm gonna agree with Loe Max. It handles exceptionally on H&R springs/Tokico Illumina struts. Generic FSTB, Progress RSB, Falken Ziex 512 17" 235/45... it just doesnt FEEL great doing it. I always feel like I am at the handling limit, though I doubt I've gotten there. It's especially bad when I have groceries/fast food in the car...
Old 05-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Tein S-Tech, KYB GR-2's (AGX's setting 2/4), FSTB, BlehmCo Stage II Lower Tie Bar, 215/55/16 712 Kumho on 16" 240SE Rim

Barely any body roll at all. Great handling. Need to get a RSB though
Old 05-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Wild for Width

D2 Coilovers, Stillen FSTB, Kumho Ecsta on stockers

I think the car handles really well for being FWD, you really have to push it to upset the chassis at all.

I am looking into the SFCs to make the ride alittle more solid.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:08 AM

how would u guys categorize suspension parts in terms of effectiveness and priority?

i have a 97 and i feel it has a lot of roll and just not the same feel. i am not going to drop and i currently am riding on stock struts and springs.

someone told me to get sway bars, and a front tower strut. will that be effective? or is that just a waste?

whast rsb?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:44 AM

I'm runnin KYB AGX adjustables with Progress springs on a 2" drop in the front and a 1.75" drop in the back. FSTB sittin on 19" ADR's wrapped in 235/35/19 Nitto 555's. I lovr the way the car handles although im switchin to the Tokico HP's and I want to change tires to the BF Goodwhrich G-Force T/A KDW Spec 2. If your looking to go turbo you should talk to Royal_T, he just got his I30 turboed with the Tein-S coilover suspension.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by FishyMan
how would u guys categorize suspension parts in terms of effectiveness and priority?

i have a 97 and i feel it has a lot of roll and just not the same feel. i am not going to drop and i currently am riding on stock struts and springs.

someone told me to get sway bars, and a front tower strut. will that be effective? or is that just a waste?

whast rsb?
RSB = Rear Sway Bar. No one makes an aftermarket front sway bar for the 4th gen Max, so when people say "sway bar", they mean the rear.

The other item is a Front Strut Tower Bar (FSTB). It connects two of the most flex-prone parts of the chassis (the front strut towers) and keeps them from flexing as much.

People who have this combo love it. Big big improvement in handling. You just have to be a ton more careful at the handling limit -- which can be hard to sense -- because the car is already prone to snap-oversteer as it is, and a sway bar will make it worse. This means that although the limit is much higher, once you get there, you might suddenly lose your car before you even know what hit you. Some people also prefer to run without a sway bar when they lower their cars. But if you're keeping the rest of your suspension stock and you don't plan to be probing your car's limits, a sway bar and FSTB will make a nice, noticeable improvement.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by venommaxr33
I'm runnin KYB AGX adjustables with Progress springs on a 2" drop in the front and a 1.75" drop in the back. FSTB sittin on 19" ADR's wrapped in 235/35/19 Nitto 555's. I lovr the way the car handles although im switchin to the Tokico HP's and I want to change tires to the BF Goodwhrich G-Force T/A KDW Spec 2. If your looking to go turbo you should talk to Royal_T, he just got his I30 turboed with the Tein-S coilover suspension.
Why go from AGX to Tokico HP? HPs are a lower-grade strut...

Also, what do you mean by Tein-S coilover... do you mean Tein S-tech springs, or Tein Basic coilovers?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by d00df00d
- because the car is already prone to snap-oversteer as it is, and a sway bar will make it worse.
You haven't even come close to snap-oversteer until you have driven a 1st generation RX-7. I have one and THAT is snap-oversteer. I've never experienced it with my maxima EVER.

I used to think my maxima handled well until I bought my 1980 RX-7 and modded it. Even with snap-oversteer at the limits, it handles way better than my maxima (significantly better stock and WAY better modded). I am putting new struts on the max along with the 1.5" drop but I seriously doubt it will ever handle that well. I seriously have doubts about anyone saying any Maxima handles better than a 1994 Supra TT (even a modded max). Stock, I believe the supra TT could pull over .9* G. I read the post where the guy says his maxima outhandles his brother's supra TT. Well, throw me the keys and I'll show you the Supra has more than you think.

With all this said, I still like my maxima. I just think the platform is limited in the handling department and only so much can be done to make it handle better. I have the FSTB, poly bushings in the front, Tokicos and lowering springs coming. I threw away the 15s for 16s and well, it will be much better than stock but I will still have more fun in a 25 year old car that handles like a go cart.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rutnick
You haven't even come close to snap-oversteer until you have driven a 1st generation RX-7. I have one and THAT is snap-oversteer. I've never experienced it with my maxima EVER.
Not sure if that's a fair comparison..... I was talking about the limit of grip here. A Maxima buries the limit under gobs of understeer. A 1st gen RX-7 can make the limit as accessible as a stab on the throttle.

If you chuck your Max really hard into a corner, it'll understeer like hell because that's the predominant handling characteristic (front heavy, front wheel drive, soft front springs). Keep pushing it, or unload the rear suspension even a little, and the rear will come around without warning (solid rear axle, stiff rear springs). That's snap oversteer.

In other words, here's the progression as you corner harder and harder in a Max:

1. understeer
2. UNDERSTEER
3. UNDERSTEER <------------- most people either exit the corner or chill out at this point
4. UNDERSTEER!!!!!
5. MORE UNDERSTEER!!!!!
6. <whoosh...>
7. <tree>

Hit a bump, go over a hill or unload the rear suspension in any other way at stage 4 or 5, and it's all over.

The reason a sway bar makes it worse is that it increases the stiffness at the rear, which will increase oversteer. It's a good mod because it cancels a lot of the initial understeer and extends the limit, and the car will still understeer if you really push it because that's still the dominant characteristic. You end up with tighter cornering and a higher limit. You just have to be careful cuz if you hit the new limit, you're really screwed.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:49 AM

My car handles amazing on my new setup (tockico/hr) Loving it!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Not sure if that's a fair comparison..... I was talking about the limit of grip here. A Maxima buries the limit under gobs of understeer. A 1st gen RX-7 can make the limit as accessible as a stab on the throttle.

If you chuck your Max really hard into a corner, it'll understeer like hell because that's the predominant handling characteristic (front heavy, front wheel drive, soft front springs). Keep pushing it, or unload the rear suspension even a little, and the rear will come around without warning (solid rear axle, stiff rear springs). That's snap oversteer.

In other words, here's the progression as you corner harder and harder in a Max:

1. understeer
2. UNDERSTEER
3. UNDERSTEER <------------- most people either exit the corner or chill out at this point
4. UNDERSTEER!!!!!
5. MORE UNDERSTEER!!!!!
6. <whoosh...>
7. <tree>

Hit a bump, go over a hill or unload the rear suspension in any other way at stage 4 or 5, and it's all over.

The reason a sway bar makes it worse is that it increases the stiffness at the rear, which will increase oversteer. It's a good mod because it cancels a lot of the initial understeer and extends the limit, and the car will still understeer if you really push it because that's still the dominant characteristic. You end up with tighter cornering and a higher limit. You just have to be careful cuz if you hit the new limit, you're really screwed.
so a fstb would have more understeer then? right now i have eibachs and illuminas and i go like 20 to 30 mph through sharp turns and doesnt seem to be a problem for me. the rstb would help though?

btw i know oversteer is when the car spins out but whats understeer?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 AM

I dont think most of you really know what good handling is, because i know for a fact that most those setups u all just listed are not "good" they are just better than stock.

theres no way a stock maxima will out handle a supra TT.

maybe this is a better question. What is the best coilover for the maxima bar nothing. I do not car how harsh the ride is at all.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

whast rsb?
To make your Max handle very nicely at the stock ride height upgrade your struts to the Tokico Illuminas. Set them at the mid point (3) which will give you a nice firm, yet very smooth ride. I've installed these struts on the stock springs for an org member and was amazed at how stable yet smooth the car drove. The car was nice and flat in the turns, huge improvement over the stock setup. If you'd like to take it even one step further, get a rear stabalizer bar and a front strut tower brace. Make sure you have good rubber wrapped on the wheels and enjoy the ride!

The Illuminas are 5 way adjustable struts, you can go from a Caddy like soft ride (great for long trips with the family) up to sports car firm in less then 5 minutes. They have excellent ride control and will give you a smooth new car like ride.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
so a fstb would have more understeer then? right now i have eibachs and illuminas and i go like 20 to 30 mph through sharp turns and doesnt seem to be a problem for me. the rstb would help though?

btw i know oversteer is when the car spins out but whats understeer?
Oversteer is when the passengers are scared.
Understeer is when the driver is scared.

Can't remember where I read that but I like it. Anyway, it's fairly simple: oversteer is when the rear slides out, causing the car to turn more than the steering wheel is telling it to. Understeer is when the front just doesn't turn in properly, so the car turns less than the steering wheel is telling it to.

99% of all cars on the road are made to understeer a little when you push them because that's the safest way of telling the driver that he's gone too fast into a corner. The Maxima understeers heavily because of the way it's set up. You can reduce the understeer, but nothing you can do will kill it entirely without making the car skittish, unpredictable, and unsafe for anyone but a super-experienced driver (just a reminder to anyone who didn't know that already).

Don't get a RSB (rear sway bar) confused with a RSTB (rear strut tower bar). The RSTB is supposed to help stiffen the rear of the chassis but does practically nothing on our cars. The RSB will make your turn-in sharper and will reduce understeer when you push the car a lot. A FSTB will help steering response and slightly increase understeer (although not remotely enough to counteract the RSB).
Old 05-15-2005, 10:35 AM

My car handles well compared to where it came from(stock)
Eibach pro kit,KYB AGX adjustable struts, 18x8 wheels w/245/40s. Now all I need is a FSTB & a RSB to complete the package.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by PKaiser
I dont think most of you really know what good handling is, because i know for a fact that most those setups u all just listed are not "good" they are just better than stock.
"Good" is a relative, subjective term. We're talking about what people like, not what will keep up with a real sports car on a track.

Originally Posted by PKaiser
maybe this is a better question. What is the best coilover for the maxima bar nothing. I do not car how harsh the ride is at all.
Probably the JIC FLT-A2, just because of how ridiculously adjustable it is. The best alternative (until May 31, after which the price will go up) is the K-Sport coilovers, which are less adjustable but almost as good for less than half the price.

But keep in mind... as you implied, the Maxima is not a "handling" car. If you get ultra-stiff springs, your car will be skittish as hell because the suspension and the chassis were not tuned for that kind of setup. Make damn sure you get some chassis stiffening and lightweight wheels/tires to keep everything in control.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:43 PM

what brands and vendors have you guys shopped from? i won't get struts/springs, till later on when i DO need them, as of now i have to take a rational and economical approach.

this is mostly a daily driver after all, and the platform for it is what it is. i just feel that a big car like thsi sometimes tend to not be as stiff on turns, not like i turn hard, but u knwo what i mean? versus small 4 bangers like civics...

i guess a FRTON TOWER strut will be good and RSB. any brands? ebay? haha..

thanks for helping. i appreciate it a lot.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:58 PM

i guess a FRTON TOWER strut will be good and RSB. any brands? ebay? haha..

thanks for helping. i appreciate it a lot.
As far as this stuff goes, you can't go wrong with the Stillen stuff. Their RSB is usually considered to be the best because it gives slightly better turn-in and is adjustable. They're a little on the expensive side tho.

If you're trying to save some money, an excellent alternative would be Cattman's FSTB/RSB combo -- I think it's under $300 shipped.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:08 PM

My handling is ok at best, but I know some better and wider tires, new axle, and maybe new lca's along with these S-tech and AGX would make her a dream.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I think you need to come drive my RX-7 for what true "snap oversteer" is. I've always said that my 1980 RX-7 is the most fun and MOST dangerous car I have ever driven. I wouldn't recommend an inexperienced drive just picking up the keys and taking one out.

I think it is a fair comparison because I have both cars. The maxima IS understeer and I find it totally ridiculous the person above says his car can outhandle a Supra TT. It's total BS. Yes, BS.

Listen, I haven't ever had snap oversteer with the maxima but I also realize it isn't going to be a sports car. It can be fun and it CAN go fast but I don't confuse it with a Supra TT killer.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:39 PM

I heard oversteer was fun, but i dont see how people can think its fun on a public road when your rear end slides away and you run the chance of it going off the road and hitting mailboxes and such.

I was thinking, and wouldnt ultra sticky tires and 100lbs in the trunk fix oversteer on a fwd car(with rsb and fstb)?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rutnick
Well, I think you need to come drive my RX-7 for what true "snap oversteer" is. I've always said that my 1980 RX-7 is the most fun and MOST dangerous car I have ever driven. I wouldn't recommend an inexperienced drive just picking up the keys and taking one out.

I think it is a fair comparison because I have both cars. The maxima IS understeer and I find it totally ridiculous the person above says his car can outhandle a Supra TT. It's total BS. Yes, BS.

Listen, I haven't ever had snap oversteer with the maxima but I also realize it isn't going to be a sports car. It can be fun and it CAN go fast but I don't confuse it with a Supra TT killer.

Geez, man. I'm not saying that your RX-7 doesn't snap-oversteer, nor am I endorsing the comparison with a Supra TT's handling. All I'm saying is that snap oversteer can and does happen when you push the Maxima to the breaking point. The fact that it happens worse in an RX-7 has nothing to do with it.

It's also kinda silly to walk into a thread about Maxima handling and start preaching about an RX-7. Even if the comparison were valid (which it really isn't), it's uncalled for and unnecessary. We all know it's edgier and more prone to oversteer than a Maxima, and that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

One mention of snap oversteer and you're jerking off about your RX-7.... You sound like someone who spun out in his little sports car and is getting all high-and-mighty about it because it was too much machine for you. Talk about hijacking a thread.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
I heard oversteer was fun, but i dont see how people can think its fun on a public road when your rear end slides away and you run the chance of it going off the road and hitting mailboxes and such.
always be careful, children....

I was thinking, and wouldnt ultra sticky tires and 100lbs in the trunk fix oversteer on a fwd car(with rsb and fstb)?
Yes... yes it would. Quite well. But it's not like a RSB and FSTB will turn your Max into a rabid untamable beast. The car will still be quite tame and very composed. It's just that if you push it all the way to the limit, it's more likely to get away on you.

If RSBs and FSTBs really made things that unsafe, no one would use them.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:09 PM

AGX (2/4)/Sprints FTSB, 245/40/18s Polyurathane bushings.

My car handles expectionally well for a 4 door grocery getter. I manhandled an A4 the other day on the twisties. I wouldnt say the max has the best handling or could outhandle a Supra TT. In no way shape or form could it outhandle a Supra.

Ive never driver another car besides a max. Ive driven a 93 Trans Am LT1 but he has 19s and it rub's over any bump. I would like to get my hands on a RWD car and test it out but i would be afraid of kicking the a$$ end out. Ive never driven a RWD car hard. I used to spin around in my dads V6 Rustang but that has no power.

I would like to get a SFC but im afraid i would tear that thing up when i get my coils.

-Sean
Old 05-15-2005, 05:12 PM

always be careful, children....

Yes... yes it would. Quite well. But it's not like a RSB and FSTB will turn your Max into a rabid untamable beast. The car will still be quite tame and very composed. It's just that if you push it all the way to the limit, it's more likely to get away on you.

If RSBs and FSTBs really made things that unsafe, no one would use them.
What would you recommend, switching over from NEW no name tires to performance tires, or getting an RSB/FSTB/Y-pipe combo and keeping the no name tires?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:20 PM

What would you recommend, switching over from NEW no name tires to performance tires, or getting an RSB/FSTB/Y-pipe combo and keeping the no name tires?
TIRES. No question.

Suspension mods help you handle better by using your tires to their fullest. If your tires are the weakest link (and it sounds like they probably are), then suspension mods will give you better handling to a point but will make things rather dangerous as you approach the limit -- forget about what happens when you actually reach the limit.

Good tires, on the other hand, will increase the limits without any penalties (except maybe treadwear).

Another thing that has benefits with no penalties: subframe connectors. $250 or so from www.warpspeedperformance.com, plus the cost to weld them on... the total will be about the same as buying and mounting a set of good tires, and it will improve handing and feel, [i]and[/b] give you a better ride.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:22 PM

KYB AGX, H & R, ADDCO rear sway bar, cattman fstb, 18" katana concept 7's with toyo proxies, 235/40/18. oh ya and a wilwood big brake kit, 4 piston calipers and 12 inch rotors. you also have to take the weight of our cars as a factos. Car handles really well.....bettter than my 88 supra turbo with tems. But most coupes out there still handle better. For example my friends stock gsr can take the turns better then i can......unless hes a moron and is willing to take more of a risk than me. anyway all in all you can make it handle well, but all in all its a sedan.

Quick Reply: Hows your handling?