4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help Quick... Trans stuck in R.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Runs with scissors

Need help Quick... Trans stuck in R.

Well, I about 50 miles away from home and my car in stuck in Reverse. ('96 SE 5sp) It ran fine all day today. Drove from NJ to Hershey park for "Tuner Wars", dropped off one friend, Put the car in R to back out of his driveway and I can not shift out of R. The clutch is fine. I can start the car and drive in reverse but I cant get it out. I checked the trans fluid and It seems fine. (hot but fine) Can anyone Help??!?!?!?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it could be your clutch master cylinder. check behind clutch pedal for a leak
Old 05-16-2005, 06:12 AM
Runs with scissors

The Clutch works correctly. I replaced the Master cylinder a couple of weeks ago. I can start the car with the clutch in and it does not shake/move at all. I can let the clutch out and the car will go (backwards). I just can not get the car out of reverse. I disconnected the rod that attaches the shift lever to the trans housing (shift linkage?) and the shaft going into the trans does not move. The bar attached to the shift lever moves freely.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Maintenance Monster

It could be many things: a shift rod sleeve bearing may have jammed and prevents the rod from sliding, some junk may have jammed between the clutch hub and sleeve, or some junk may have jammed the shift select parts. I'll have a look at the Maxima FSM for a bit, but either way the tranny probably needs removed to find/remove the offender.

Idea: check the striking rod seal where the shift selector enters the tranny - if that jammed/broke, it wouldn't require transmission removal.

Dave
Old 05-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Runs with scissors

I looked through the service manual for a while and I couldn't find much on the trans, let alone the problem I was having. (I keep my manual in the car at all times) I did remove the rubber boot that is outside the trans and it did not look like anything was broken/cracked. I have a bad feeling I need a new trans...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 AM

just drive backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k i know Zack342 is selling his I30 LSD trans for $1,200

good luck
Old 05-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Jedi Knight

my first question is...how did you check the tranny fluid in the car? If it is a 5 speed like you say..there is no way to check the fluid short of jacking up the car and unplugging the re-fill hole at the bottom of the tranny...or pulling out one of your axles...

I call on that

also what rubber boot did you remove?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Maintenance Monster

I looked through the manual some more - Check page MT-12 - there are a boatload of parts related to reverse select. (Maybe this is normal complexity for a compact fwd manual transmission - so far I've only worked on my sports car which has a much simpler in-line 3 gate select setup). Several springs, levers, and arms - I see a great possibility for a broken part and/or jamming. Either way, I think the tranny comes out to work with the select systems.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Runs with scissors

Originally Posted by nupe500
my first question is...how did you check the tranny fluid in the car? If it is a 5 speed like you say..there is no way to check the fluid short of jacking up the car and unplugging the re-fill hole at the bottom of the tranny...or pulling out one of your axles...

I call on that

also what rubber boot did you remove?
That is exactly what I did. The "screw" on the side of the trans is a 1/4 inch driver socket, which I removed, then stuck my finger in the hole to see if there was fluid. There was and it was hot (almost burned my finger). I used a small siphon hand pump to add a little more fluid because it was a hair low. I think I only added a few ounces. (Just to let you know, the check/fill hole is much easier to get to if you remove the drivers wheel. It's right behind the wheel well.) So no... It's not BS. The rubber boot I removed is the one that covers the shaft right outside the tranny before it connects to the shift lever bar thing (I don't know what it's called.)

Originally Posted by CleanMAX98
just drive backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I seriously thought about it....
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by djmaverick
That is exactly what I did. The "screw" on the side of the trans is a 1/4 inch driver socket, which I removed, then stuck my finger in the hole to see if there was fluid. There was and it was hot (almost burned my finger). I used a small siphon hand pump to add a little more fluid because it was a hair low. I think I only added a few ounces. (Just to let you know, the check/fill hole is much easier to get to if you remove the drivers wheel. It's right behind the wheel well.) So no... It's not BS. The rubber boot I removed is the one that covers the shaft right outside the tranny before it connects to the shift lever bar thing (I don't know what it's called.)
I'll give you that...I retract my earlier flag....well why would you remove the boot that covers the CV joint? Thats just asking for it to get all locked up with dirt. Like others have said, you'd have to pull that tranny out and do the analysis with it out.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by nupe500
well why would you remove the boot that covers the CV joint? Thats just asking for it to get all locked up with dirt.
I think he's not talking about the CV shaft and boot, he's talking about the shifter select rod and boot.

Interestingly, it made me realize that technically speaking, a rod is used in a push/pull manner, and a shaft is rotational. But otherwise they look alike

Dave
Old 05-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Runs with scissors

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
he's talking about the shifter select rod and boot.
Yup that's the one. Just a quick question. How can I tell what trans number I have in my car. I know it's not the LSD model but what is the number? I found a LSD conversion kit in a Jegs catalod but it is for the RF50A, hence the question.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Maintenance Monster

The code on my 97SE (non-lsd) is "RS5F50A-FG38", which you'll find on the firewall, passenger side near the top.

Dave
Old 05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you ever get the car out of reverse? My friends Maxima had the same thing happen to him. Unfortunately I forgot what was the problem. I do know he had to have a tranny place pull it apart and replace something in the tranny. The quick fix is to get in the car have a couple of friends push you forward with your foot on the clutch. While they are pushing you just keep trying to push the shifter out of reverse and sooner or later it pops out. Just don't put it back in reverse or you might be screwed.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Runs with scissors

I dorpped the car off at a shop yesterday and I am waiting to hear from him. I tried rocking the car with the clutch out - nothing. I tried slowly rolling the car foreward and letting out the clutch - nothing. I tried pretty much everything. On a lighter note, I think I may have found a LSD tranny for about $700. If I do need an new one, I putting that baby in there. If I don't need a whole new trans, I'm going to do the LSD conversion from the JEGS catalog.