4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brakes...slotted or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:37 PM

Brakes...slotted or not?

Since I am getting ready to do some brake work I am looking (again) at the slotted and cross-drilled brake rotors. What are the main benefits of the cross-drilled or slotted setup? What are the main problems with them? I am not racing the car, I just like the look of them but I don't want to buy them if they're worse off than the stockers.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Has anyone ever had slotted/drilled rotors cut? How did they fare?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Ive herd they kick up more dust / produce more noise
Old 05-18-2005, 05:12 PM

I know drilled rotors are said to eat up brake pads faster because the air flowing through the rotor turns it into a cutting wheel. Thats one reason why they now have slotted rotors where the holes are not drilled all the way through.

I cut my rotors every 9 months because they start to warp. It's how our cars are plus I drive in the rain a lot and through puddles. I dont think its recommended that slotted/drilled rotors be cut.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM

i've heard nothing good about them for day-to-day driving. there is more dust becasue they are harder and make a lot more noise becasue of it. and i dont think they can be turned. and i hear you have to buy a higher performance pad to compliment them. so i dont think there are any advantages, beside they suppossedly run cooler.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:52 PM

So they're really only worth it if you're racing then? My problem with the stockers is that I've had 2 of them (one front and one rear) warp on me. If the slotted's are worse then I think I'll just keep with the stockers.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:20 PM

yeah dude a few months ago I did all kinds of brake research...slotted and cross drilled is a bunch of crap...they are more prone to crack and eat pads faster along with more dust and noise...they used cross-drilled rotors in the past to let gas escape when brakes would heat up, but now in days, all pads are advanced in technology, THEY DO NOT create gas like the old pads in the 60's...brembo blanks or oem are both excellent !
Old 05-18-2005, 08:51 PM

Ditto to ThisMaxIsTight!

Thumbs down on drilled and slotted rotors: (1) They tend to crack, and (2) you will not receive any benefit from them except at the very limits of braking.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the opinions. I'll drop for some Brembo blanks then and leave it at that.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:59 AM
^ Jeff™

No way I would go with OEMs or cheap Autozone rotors again...they tend to warp WAY too easily.

I have slotted/dimpled Brembos...anyone who thinks slotted or dimpled rotors tend to crack is sadly mistaken, I have never seen or heard of that happening. Crossdrilled though, do have a tendency to crack if they were not drilled correctly.

Only benefit for slotted is if you do highway driving or track racing considering the brake fade resistance.

Next time I buy rotors I will just go with Brembo blanks...
Old 05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Ditto to ThisMaxIsTight!

Thumbs down on drilled and slotted rotors: (1) They tend to crack, and (2) you will not receive any benefit from them except at the very limits of braking.
I'm sorry but neither of you is correct.... Slotted and Cross-Drilled rotors are designed to dissipate heat much faster than stock solid rotors. The cross-drilled rotors are good at this, but they are more prone to cracking because of the myriad stress points introduced into the solid surface. GOOD slotted rotors, like Power Slot, will NOT crack and will offer significant performance advantages. The only ways to increase braking force (and thus decrease braking distances) are to increase surface area or increase cooling. Adding slots to your rotors increases the rate at which they dissipate hot air created from the intense friction of severe braking. These hot gasses build up and will heat up the entire rotor/pad set if the slots are not there to eject the gasses.

I just installed Power Slot cryo-frozen rotors and they're amazing....I've only had them in for a day, but I anticipate they will last longer than every single other part on my car! They provide tenacious grip and they are less apt to fading than stock or solid rotors. They were, however, rather expensive - about $120 each from tirerack.com - but worth it! I hope this helps!

-Jon
Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM

u have to go to someone that specializes int ehm for then to be cut dude
Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 PM

hawk pads / power slots / goodridge lines ALL DAY!

ive had em for about half a year or longer now...wouldnt go back to the stock ones...they warp like they made of plastic...

i have less brake dust then i did b4...only squeeks under light braking but i havent heard them squeek since i first got them...

drilled crack eazy

drilled and slotted have less brakin area for your pads to "BITE" on too there was a graph about a year ago showin all this....look it up

drop $800 with install and paint on the capliers and u wont regret it....trust me
Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM

im sure blanks will heat up way faster than slotted or crossdrilled.
but honestly, if you have just stock brakes, you might not really feel a big difference if you just change the rotors.
with my bbk, it brakes awesome, specially when i do heavy breaking under whatever im doing, it really seems to work with my slotted and if i would to put blanks with my brake set up, i doubt it'll brake as good as my slotted ones.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by tmkforever
I just installed Power Slot cryo-frozen rotors and they're amazing....I've only had them in for a day, but I anticipate they will last longer than every single other part on my car! They provide tenacious grip and they are less apt to fading than stock or solid rotors. They were, however, rather expensive - about $120 each from tirerack.com - but worth it! I hope this helps!

-Jon
Dud you properly bed them in?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Maximoneypit

im sure the cross drilled and slotted rotors cool better - however i go to the track w/ my friend alot in his 400+hp Z06 Vette and we drive the crap out of that car all day hitting 140 on straightaways ending in a 35 mph hairpin turn; all the time using large but regular rotors. i doubt any of us take our maxes to that extreme, so take what you will from that.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been running PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS brake pads up front for a while. I am on my second set of Hawks. Before this I only ran OEM pads. This setup stops better than the OEM one. This is very noticeably when slowing down quickly at higher speeds. Brake fade is something that I encountered with the OEM setup, but have not encountered with my style of driving with my current setup.

The drawbacks are increased brake dust, and once in a while some brake noise. Both of these are things I am happy to deal with for better braking performance.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:07 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by MaximaConvert
im sure the cross drilled and slotted rotors cool better - however i go to the track w/ my friend alot in his 400+hp Z06 Vette and we drive the crap out of that car all day hitting 140 on straightaways ending in a 35 mph hairpin turn; all the time using large but regular rotors. i doubt any of us take our maxes to that extreme, so take what you will from that.
Stock Zo6 Rotors/Calipers > Stock Maxima Rotors/Calipers
Farrrr better, almost different sides of the spectrum.