4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bose stereo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 08:19 PM
axionman

I have a 95 se with the BOSE stereo..

I read somewhere that If you remove any part of that stereo you have to replace ALL components? Is this true and if so why?

I wanna put in a new deck and have an amp and a couple subs I wanna put in to...but I dont wanna replace every single speaker...I wanna use them...can this be done and if not why?

thanks

Old 05-15-2001, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by axionman
I have a 95 se with the BOSE stereo..

I read somewhere that If you remove any part of that stereo you have to replace ALL components? Is this true and if so why?

I wanna put in a new deck and have an amp and a couple subs I wanna put in to...but I dont wanna replace every single speaker...I wanna use them...can this be done and if not why?

thanks
When I did my system build up, I just took the whole thing out. The only left in my car that is Bose, are the back speaker grills on the rear deck. Yeah, when I got my Max, I was confused about pulling the whole thing out too... After a bit of research I found it is the best way to go (if you want a higher quality sound system). There are a few companies out there that make converters and such for you to be able to adapt an aftermarket speaker set or aftermarket headunit to your Bose setup. They are *really expensive, and I didn't trust em... I just pulled the whole thing out. You were asking why it cannot be done (other than those converters which I don't like), it is because every speaker (front and back) in the car has it's own amplifier attached to it. They are connected via a proprietary power and sound source which just doesn't match the aftermarket units.

I don't remember the prices for the converters, I just remember the prices scared the hell outta me. Plus, if you notice, your stock Bose headunit/speakers don't get that loud. One or the other starts to clip fairly easily, giving you distortion in the music. Plus, if you go with a set of nice subs, your stock speakers will not keep up at all (as far as the volume). And after swapping my Bose, for the component sets I bought, your realize that the Bose system really doesn't sound that great... (It's the best stock system in the car class though...)
Old 05-15-2001, 11:22 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by ikSardarG
And after swapping my Bose, for the component sets I bought, your realize that the Bose system really doesn't sound that great...
Amen brother...
Old 05-15-2001, 11:35 PM
MaxAudio

It is very possible

I work at a somewhat high end audio shop. You can achieve decent sound quality by upgrading the headunit and leaving the speakers alone ( It will not sound much better than the Bose head unit though). Bose is all configured in low level and the speakers are all independantly amplified. Now there is a trick that can be utilized if you have a head unit with front and rear pre-outputs. Where I work, you do not have to purchase a converter, the techinicians configure the system to work of the new head units pre-outs via low level. The optimizes the sound quality that you will get out of the bose speakers and it's much more consumer friendly! Plus you don't have to take the entire system out.

If you decide to keep the bose speakers and need to know how to configure the system, e-mail me and I will have one of our techs draw you up a diagram.

I hope this helps,
Ryan

Old 05-16-2001, 04:37 AM

aww... no bose?? wat's wrong with bose, come on its good =)