4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

still problem with brake noise (Daniel B Martin?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 10:21 PM

A while back, I had problems with the brake squeeking, so I was told to just get some OEM brake shims, and not use the ones that came with the aftermarket pads. Ok, so now it has been about 2 days since I installed the shims, but the noise it back, and seems worse then before, the brakes squeek even if I depress the brake a little, and gets louder as I press more, and the noise goes away when I practically stomp on the brakes. I do not have ABS, I have a '98 GXE. I was thinking, could it be that the brakes pads are no good? I got some cheap pads at Kragens. Could it also be that my rotor or pads is heat glazed? I had my rotors re-surfaced about a month ago. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by danny's_max
A while back, I had problems with the brake squeeking, so I was told to just get some OEM brake shims, and not use the ones that came with the aftermarket pads. Ok, so now it has been about 2 days since I installed the shims, but the noise it back, and seems worse then before, the brakes squeek even if I depress the brake a little, and gets louder as I press more, and the noise goes away when I practically stomp on the brakes. I do not have ABS, I have a '98 GXE. I was thinking, could it be that the brakes pads are no good? I got some cheap pads at Kragens. Could it also be that my rotor or pads is heat glazed? I had my rotors re-surfaced about a month ago. Any ideas? Thanks.
Some owners insist that only Nissan factory brake parts will be silent. However, I have had good results with name-brand brake parts (Raybestos, etc.).

Cheap pads at Kragens? Hmmm... You were asking for trouble. At this point you have three options.

1) Live with the noise.

2) Disassemble the brakes and apply Blue Goo brake silencing compound. Refer to the Haynes repair manual, page 9-7 and 9-8.

3) Replace the Kragen pads with high quality parts.

If your pads or rotors are glazed you could try a coarse emery cloth abrasive to rough them up. Refer to Haynes, page 9-10.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info Daniel. I will be getting the OEM brake pads. But as for the rotors and pads being glazed, how can you tell if they are? As I mentioned, I had the rotors re-surfaced not too long ago, can they be glazed already? I do not do hard braking, but a few times, I had to stomp on the brakes (really bad stop-n-go traffic that I go through everyday). Well, I just hope that getting Nissan pads will stop the noise.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by danny's_max
... But as for the rotors and pads being glazed, how can you tell if they are? ...
You make this judgement by visual inspection. If the surface of the pads or rotor is mirror-smooth it is glazed.