4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Successfuly replaced leaky Oil Pressure Sensor (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 09:05 AM

It was a piece of cake. First off I changed my oil this weekend so I drained the oil pan and removed the filter. I pulled back the cover for the OPS and removed the electrical plug that connects to it. I used a 1 15/16th inch socket (not sure gonna have to double check) to remove it. It was a cinch to remove. I then carefully making sure not to cross-thread the new OPS, started it with my hand and finished off with the socket. Very easy job, and while I was under there I used a little degreaser and cleaned the entire area on and around the oilpan off. Replaced my filter, closed up the oil pan and refilled with Mobil 1 tri-synthetic. I couldn't find a Mobil synthetic filter anywhere so I'm using Fram. Just for the duration of this week. I'll get new Mobil 1 filter this weekend and replace the Fram one, remebering to put a little oil back in for what little will be spilled while changing filters.
This is just another of the rather easy fix ups most people should do themselves. Luckily my pops is a mechanic so he has plenty tools around. But after the job was complete I couldn't imagine paying a mechanic to change this thing.
By the way the whole thing took 15-20 min. including clean up. Oh and it helped that I had my girlfriend there to hand me tools while I was under the car. She actually put the oil back in the car. She really likes helping out, now I just got to teach her how to accelerate. She can shift into second but refuses to use the gas once she has. (hehehe)

Just sharing my experience.
Old 05-16-2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
It was a piece of cake. First off I changed my oil this weekend so I drained the oil pan and removed the filter. I pulled back the cover for the OPS and removed the electrical plug that connects to it. I used a 1 15/16th inch socket (not sure gonna have to double check) to remove it. It was a cinch to remove. I then carefully making sure not to cross-thread the new OPS, started it with my hand and finished off with the socket. Very easy job, and while I was under there I used a little degreaser and cleaned the entire area on and around the oilpan off. Replaced my filter, closed up the oil pan and refilled with Mobil 1 tri-synthetic. I couldn't find a Mobil synthetic filter anywhere so I'm using Fram. Just for the duration of this week. I'll get new Mobil 1 filter this weekend and replace the Fram one, remebering to put a little oil back in for what little will be spilled while changing filters.
This is just another of the rather easy fix ups most people should do themselves. Luckily my pops is a mechanic so he has plenty tools around. But after the job was complete I couldn't imagine paying a mechanic to change this thing.
By the way the whole thing took 15-20 min. including clean up. Oh and it helped that I had my girlfriend there to hand me tools while I was under the car. She actually put the oil back in the car. She really likes helping out, now I just got to teach her how to accelerate. She can shift into second but refuses to use the gas once she has. (hehehe)

Just sharing my experience.
Thanks for the success story. Your good experience may encourage other Maxima owners to tackle their own repairs. The man who services his own car ...
- saves money
- learns more about how his car works
- takes pride in his skill and self-reliance
Old 05-16-2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Thanks for the success story. Your good experience may encourage other Maxima owners to tackle their own repairs. The man who services his own car ...
- saves money
- learns more about how his car works
- takes pride in his skill and self-reliance
Very true, this summer alone I've changed my spark plugs, fuel filter, air intake, cat-back exhaust, brake pads, and I'm gonna get some help installing my new suspension which consists of Koni struts and H&R springs. Working on your car is very rewarding. The intake and cat-back installation made me feel like a race car mechanic. How good my car sound after the installation. By the first weekend in June I'll probably change my drive belts. Oh and Hanes manual is a great help. I suggest it to all who've never worked on there car. All of the above were done by me for the first time, of course with Hanes right by my side.
Old 05-16-2001, 11:30 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Please

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
I couldn't find a Mobil synthetic filter anywhere so I'm using Fram. Just for the duration of this week. I'll get new Mobil 1 filter this weekend and replace the Fram one, remebering to put a little oil back in for what little will be spilled while changing filters
change that filter ASAP.

This is why:

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilters.html

Frams aren't good for the VQ.

Mobile 1 filter number is M1-110 and not that easy to find.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:03 PM

I know, its just that....

I was passed the scheduled interval 4500+ miles, and I really wouldn't have time to change the oil till this weekend. So after searching long and hard I settled for Fram. I'm getting Mobil 1 tomorrow evening and I'll change it on Saturday. But all the auto parts retailers in LI carry is Fram. Auto Aid, and Auto Barn, even PepBoys. PepBoys had a few others to choose from but unfortunately none of them were available for the Max. Its like a monopoly out here. I walk into Auto Aid and theres a whole wall of Fram filters. Nothing else, and the same for Autobarn. So the only choice to is go to the dealer or find an Autozone.

Trust me I dont like Fram filters either. But thanks for the heads up Bill!