4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Job Gone to Hell - using 5th gen clutch and cover!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:27 AM

Clutch Job Gone to Hell - using 5th gen clutch and cover!

I was so excited to finish this today however, I have hit a wall and I am really furious about it!

1) the rear main seal was a pain to install - oil seal retainer didn't come with this rubber gasket (dust seal) that goes on the bottom side of it. So I had to run to a local dealer to get it. When I got it, the new dust seal was so thick that getting it to sit right was such a pain. Two hour later, we were able to get everthing on.

2) the new clutch and cover won't mount correctly - at first I thought they gave me the wrong clutch, but the clutch seems to be the right one since the splined hub in the clutch plate lines up with the splines on the input shaft. However, there are a few things that I have observed on the 5th gen clutch which are different from the 4th gen. 1) the torsion springs (in the clutch plate) have 7 coils instead of the 5 coils, and 2) the clutch plate diameter is bigger. However, the friction facing is the same width as the 4th gen one which means that the friction side of the pressure plate on the 4th gen clutch cover lines up correctly with the friction facing of the 5th gen clutch. Also, the diameter on the 5th gen clutch plate is bigger however it still fits in the 4th gen clutch plate hub. Now, with the new 5th gen clutch cover, the hub of the pressure plate is smaller than the one in the 4th. Therefore, the 5th gen clutch wouldn't sit correctly in the 5th gen cover. I seriously think that I got the wrong disc cover, my friend thinks its off of a 2k Altima. The part# on the box seems to be correct but I think that they put the wrong part in the packaging. This is the hell that I suddenly found myself in and by tomorrow my car needs to be finish or I will have bigger things to worry about, non-car related!

I am going to call Pinnacle and try to see if they can arrange an exchange at the local Nissan dealer nearby me, providing that they did send me the wrong one. Otherwise, I don't know what other alternatives are open to me. I really had a strange feeling that something was going to go wrong with my order because Nissan had change part #s which are very confusing to everyone. I will shoot an email to Kenny Gomez tonight and call him first thing tomorrow. Worse comes to worse, I will just get the 4th gen clutch and cover and be done with it.

Sorry I didn't have any pics for you guys, all this would have made more sense with visual aid. I was so pissed-off that taking pictures was the last thing in my mind while I was cursing up a storm.

Has anyone done this before??? Any suggestions??? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 AM

That sucks, what part numbers were you sent/ordered?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:32 AM

I ordered part # 30100-2Y904, the same part # that i30ds has. When I initially talked to Pinnacle Nissan, they said that the part # had changed to C0100-6E600. I was ensured that this is the correct one. It it obvious to me now that it isn't. I will let you all know what the outcome is after I talk to Pinnacle Nissan.

One word of caution to everyone that will be doing this. When you get your clutch parts, check your part #'s against the invoice they sent you. Then check them against the part # that is engraved on the parts. Also, test to see if the clutch will physically sit in the clutch cover properly. This will save you all a lot of frustration.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:54 AM

I just spoke with Pinnacle Nissan, the new part # for the 2k Maxima clutch cover is C0100-6E600. He's going to check the clutch and cover that he has in the shelf and call me back. Chances are they did send me the wrong cover.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I think they did send you the wrong parts, because the parts i got were test fitted and they are still in the plastic however the clutch disc seems to fit in the cover just fine.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM

yea you must likely got the wrong parts. the size of my 5th gen pressure plate and my old 4th gen p/p were the same, and so that the diameter of the clutch disc.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 AM

Thanks guys for the reassurance.

Since Pinnacle couldn't get me the correct cover right away, and I have to get my car back together by end of today, I went ahead and paid $125 for a 4th gen cover from a local dealer. I'm sending the one I got from Pinnacle back. The 5th gen clutch fit perfectly in the cover.

It's nice to know now that the 4th gen cover can accomodate the 5th gen clutch. So in summary, when doing a clutch job and you want to go with the 5th gen clutch, you can get the 4th gen cover. I think the release bearing is the same in both generations.

New pilot bushing is not even necessary as it doesn't make contact with anything inside. The input shaft of the 4th gen doesn't have a pilot tip that will go thru the bushing. I think the bushing is there for the alignment tool.

I'll have my car put back together today. I will try to take comparison photos of everything and post back in here for everyone else to benefit from if they decide to go this route. I do predict that the clutch pedal might be a bit stiffer with the 5th gen clutch because the torsion springs in it have more coils and are doubled up. You'll know what I am talking about when I post the pictures.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I think the 5th gen pressure plate is more aggressive, and is what causes the higher clamping force though, so you may lose out in that respect a bit. I see what you're talking about on the clutch disc, maybe thats got something to do with the higher clamping force too. Let us know how it goes for you!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Damn man sorry to hear about the problems. So pinnicle sent you the 5th gen disk but the 2002-2003 3.5L cover? I test fitted the disk and the cover I got from everything nissan and it all looks good.

Let us know how the clutch feels.

Also, what exactly are you talking about in regards to the rear main replacement? I was unaware that there is a rubber seal that goes on the bottom the rear main seal itself. FSM shows only the the main seal.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 PM

My chilton calls it "dust seal". The oil seal retainer comes with the "O" seal (redish in color), it has a tiny round spring around it. There's another seal that closes a small gap on the bottom of the retainer. The retainer itself has a lip where the dust seal mates with. The dust seal is like a half circle, its thick black rubber.

As for the cover, I think the part # is correct, I have confirmed them with the local dealers here by me. I think they put the wrong part in the box and Kenny at Pinnacle thinks so too.

I am not sure if that is the 02/03 cover. The thing that stood out is the size of the pressure plate hub. It's significantly smaller, however, it has a broader friction surface. Also, did you notice the torsion springs that I was talking about on the 5th gen clutch?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Thanks guys for the reassurance.

Since Pinnacle couldn't get me the correct cover right away, and I have to get my car back together by end of today, I went ahead and paid $125 for a 4th gen cover from a local dealer. I'm sending the one I got from Pinnacle back. The 5th gen clutch fit perfectly in the cover.

It's nice to know now that the 4th gen cover can accomodate the 5th gen clutch. So in summary, when doing a clutch job and you want to go with the 5th gen clutch, you can get the 4th gen cover. I think the release bearing is the same in both generations.

New pilot bushing is not even necessary as it doesn't make contact with anything inside. The input shaft of the 4th gen doesn't have a pilot tip that will go thru the bushing. I think the bushing is there for the alignment tool.

I'll have my car put back together today. I will try to take comparison photos of everything and post back in here for everyone else to benefit from if they decide to go this route. I do predict that the clutch pedal might be a bit stiffer with the 5th gen clutch because the torsion springs in it have more coils and are doubled up. You'll know what I am talking about when I post the pictures.

The number of springs on the actual clutch shouldnt affect the stiffness of the pedal. Those are there to stop shimmy and to act as a shock absorber of sorts as well as to grab the pressure plate better. (or so i was told)
Old 06-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Armed and Dangerous

My chilton calls it "dust seal". The oil seal retainer comes with the "O" seal (redish in color), it has a tiny round spring around it. There's another seal that closes a small gap on the bottom of the retainer. The retainer itself has a lip where the dust seal mates with. The dust seal is like a half circle, its thick black rubber.

As for the cover, I think the part # is correct, I have confirmed them with the local dealers here by me. I think they put the wrong part in the box and Kenny at Pinnacle thinks so too.

I am not sure if that is the 02/03 cover. The thing that stood out is the size of the pressure plate hub. It's significantly smaller, however, it has a broader friction surface. Also, did you notice the torsion springs that I was talking about on the 5th gen clutch?

Oh OK looking at the FSM diagram again I see it now... i will have to make sure to get one of those before I do this.

My cover has the last 5 digits (2Y290) on it which matches the the last 5 digits on the box and on the invoice. Plus everything lines up so I think I got the right one... hopefully.

I did notice what you were talking about with the springs on the clutch disk.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 AM

As I mentioned earlier, I ran into some snags and ended up with a 4th gen clutch cover/pressure plate with the 5th gen clutch disc. See photos for details on why. It is now evident that the torsion springs in the clutch has nothing to do with the clutch pedal stiffness. As a matter of fact, with the new 4th gen cover/pressure plate, the clutch pedal on mine is way softer than before! I do like this for the sake of keeping myself from getting fatigue while driving thru L.A. gridlocks. It does seem like the 5th gen clutch has more bite than the 4th gen but that's probably because the clutch is brand new as well. As I break-in the clutch, I'll have more to say later on. Perhaps with the 5th gen clutch cover/pressure plate, the clutch pedal will be a bit stiffer. Now, my clutch pedal feels so different from before. First thing is that the clutch engages right away when I barely let go of the pedal. Before, I had to practically let go of the pedal before the clutch engages. By the time I made it to my buddy's tranny shop, my car was barely moving as I try to accelerate more, the engine just revs up but the clutch barely grabbed on. You'll see why by looking at the photos below. Overall, I am very pleased with the turn out of this unusual clutch/pressure plate combo. I am actually grateful to have my car running again.

Here are some photos:

1) Comparison photo of the 2k and 95 Maxima clutch covers. Notice how sturdier the diaphragm springs are on the 2k cover with some sort of grooving perhaps for more clamp force. The thickness of the diaphragm springs on both looks the same. The 2k cover itself looks different however, the mounting holes on both covers do align correctly with the flywheel. Seems like the 2k cover will fit. Unfortunately, it didn't fit, not with the flywheel but with the 5k clutch. For those who have ordered the 5th gen cover/pressure plate, please compare yours with the photo below (left one). And post here if yours look exactly like it or different.

**Part # has been corrected**

2) Comparison photo of the 2k and 95 Maxima pressure plates. If you look carefully, you will see that the width of the friction surface on the 2k pressure plate is greater. Thus the hub size is smaller. The 2k clutch won't sit in there correctly because its too small to clear the bigger clutch plate (see photo 3). For those who have ordered the 5th gen cover/pressure plate, please compare yours with the photo below (left one). And post here if yours look exactly like it or different.

**Part # has been corrected**

3) Photo of the old (badly worn) 95 clutch. Sorry I didn't get a chance to take a photo of the 2k clutch before I installed it. Notice the two red arrows pointing towards the clutch plate. That is the width of it. On the 2k clutch, the width is greater.........trust me! This is why it didn't fit in the 2k clutch cover. However, it did fit perfectly in the 95 clutch cover. Also, notice how badly worn this clutch is, the rivets were beginning to gouge the pressure plate.

4) Photo of the old (damaged) pressure plate. This is what happens when your clutch is worn down to the rivets! Fortunately, the other side of the clutch wasn't this bad. The flywheel's friction surface wasn't harmed much, it was resurfaced and is as good as new.

5) Photo of the rear main seal retainer & dust seal (indicated by red arrow). As I mentioned earlier, the dust seal comes separate from the rear main seal retainer. I found this out the hard way. The old dust seal on mine were cracked in several places thus motor oil started to seep thru it and into the clutch. The old retainer did not show any signs of wear or tear however, since I'm already in there, I went ahead and spent the additional $31 for piece of mind. The dust seal is $10.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 AM

I wanted to add that on the way home from the transmission shop, my CEL light came on. When I got home, I pulled the ecu codes and got a 05-04 - Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU!!! I have a manual transmission.

I reset the ecu and will see if the code comes back. I did double check on the electrical connections to the transmission so I'm sure its not that.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Mine looks a bit different than the cover in you're pic. I assume the diaphragm springs are the ones that are in the center of the cover.... the ones on my PP are flat like the ones on the 4th gen pp.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Ok....thanks for letting us know. Yes the diaphragm is those "legs" that forms around the center of the cover which the throw-out bearing pushes on when you step on the clutch pedal.

Now I feel a little better that the "real" 2k clutch cover/preassure plate is similar to the 4th gen. I figure that perhaps the clamping force is not much different from the 4th gen one. I was concern about this because of the beefier torsion springs on the clutch. I thought that the 4th gen pressure plate wouldn't be able to provide adequate pressure towards the disc.

Nismos14, hows your clutch pedal now? Is it stiff ? Mine got really stiff especially during the last few days before the clutch job.

Originally Posted by nismos14
Mine looks a bit different than the cover in you're pic. I assume the diaphragm springs are the ones that are in the center of the cover.... the ones on my PP are flat like the ones on the 4th gen pp.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:05 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Its not installed yet. Will be within the next week. I'll be sure to give my review of it in this thread.

Currently my clutch is soft and theres been a vibration feeling in it since I had this clutch put in ~45k miles ago. We'll see how much of an improvement I feel.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Coool. As for me, this clutch pedal had never been any softer before. I like it!!! But it will take some getting used to since I've been driving my car all these years with stiffer pedal feel.

I had just recently replaced the KS and did a 60k service on my car plus I did a little modification in the stock airbox. I feel that the car has more torque than before now and with the messed up clutch all that was going to waste. With the new clutch, the car is definitely quick since the clutch hooks on really well. I am still light-footing it for about a week while the new clutch breaks-in. No spirited driving for me right now.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Im putting my clutch in this weekend and will let you guys know how it goes.

Doing it solo, but it shouldnt be a hard job for me since I've rebuilt auto trannys, engines, etc in my garage.

I ordered the 5th gen parts and its going on a 96 SE.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:03 PM

Hope everything goes well. Did you order yours from Pinnacle? Did you talked to Kenny? If you did, he called me up stating that there's another org member who's trying to order 2k clutch components and wanted to find out what I ended up doing because of the clutch cover issue that I was having.

Anyhow, when you get your part, make sure that it is NOT similar to the 2k clutch cover photo (on the left) and just check that everything lines up right before taking the tranny down. I would hate to see anyone go thru the same hassles I went thru.

Is your clutch pedal stiff now? Let us know it feels after the clutch job. I'm curious to see if your pedal is going to be the same or softer.

Originally Posted by slag
Im putting my clutch in this weekend and will let you guys know how it goes.

Doing it solo, but it shouldnt be a hard job for me since I've rebuilt auto trannys, engines, etc in my garage.

I ordered the 5th gen parts and its going on a 96 SE.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Armed and Dangerous

This is bad. After looking at your pics I noticed that my cover has the same diaphragm springs as the one that DID NOT work. After hearing nismos 14 say that his looked like the ones on the 4th gen pp I got the stuff out to take a better look. I discovered that I am in the same postion you are... although it LOOKS like it will fit, the center of the clutch plate is slightly too big for the pressure plate.

Ultimately this is all MY fault. I got sent the wrong cover which I posted the part number for, which you used to order yours... I feel really sh!tty about this... sorry.

I called everthing nissan and they are stumped as well. They said that they have sold many of these togather (the disk and the cover) and nobody has run into this problem (except for me and you). I dont think that the wrong cover got put in the box because the last 5 digits are on the cover which matches the box which matches the invoice.

I know that the 5th gen clutch should work as other members have done this.

Nismos 14: you should post the part numbers for both the disk and the cover that you currently have.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I found Nismos' part number for his cover- 30210-89F00. I will call everything nissan and see what they say.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:33 PM
il massimi bassi

yep i30 thats the rumored correct 5th gen pressure plate

these are japan spec non key value 4th gen oe clutch numbers
Clutch Cover 30210-40U06, Clutch Disc 30100-40U14, Release Bearing 30502-41U20
Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Armed and Dangerous

OK I talked to justin this time, who is very helpful, much more so than ralph. Anyways, he says that the 225 diameter of the 30210-2Y920 is indeed too small. He told me that 30210-89F00, which he says has a 250 diameter, was the correct one even before I had a chance to tell him that supposedly it works. So they are gonna ship me the correct cover for free and all I have to do is return the other one which will get credited back and they will reimburse me for the shipping to send it back.

If i just would have done a better job of test fitting these things beofre I posted the part #s, all of this could have been avoided. I apologize for any problems this has caused.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Whats odd is that alot of other people have gotten them and the parts fit..... When I ordered mine through everything nissan, I called and did not actually give them the part numbers. I just told them what year clutch disc I wanted, what year pp I wanted, and what TO I wanted. I got all of the correct parts.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:38 PM

Seems like everyone is affected by the part# changes.

It seems like all this mix-up is a mystery. We have a totally different number from 96ItaliaSE and another from i30ds. Some who have used i30ds' part #'s had no problem and some did, including him and I. Based on my experience, the 4th gen cover can be used for the 5th gen clutch because they fit together well, there's nothing out of place. Perhaps some who have had no fitment issues actually got different part #'s, the ones that should fit for the 2k model and they didn't bother checking the part #'s in the invoice and/or the numbers on the packaging. I think it is good to know that the 4th and 5th gen clutch covers can be interchanged because fitment seems ok. I would have second thoughts about this if the clutch's friction surface is wider than the 4th gen pressure plate surface or vice-versa. Also, both the 4th and 5th gen diaphragm springs have the same thickness and design (w/o the grooves). Despite all, I also think that the dealer should check their parts for fitment before shipping them out. Especially components such as these which involves a lot of labor hours. Had this happened to a person who is paying a mechanic to do the installation, all the wasted time can hike up the labor charges...not good.

nismos14, that is exactly what I told Pinnacle and got the wrong cover. BTW, can you look at the part # on your clutch disc, is it 30100-2Y904 or the new # which is C0100-6E600? If you can take a photo of it and post it here, that would be great. Oh and I am curious what your clutch cover looks like aside from the diaphragm springs which you've described. Can you post a pic of that too?? And can you tell me when you ordered your parts? Thanks.

We need to get to the bottom of all this and hopefully something will give us a clue as to why such confusion with all the part #'s. And when all this is settled, maybe someone can post an update on the part #'s in this thread to help others who want to do this as well.

BTW, I just noticed something incorrect about my photos, the 2k clutch cover/pressure plate. Also, the number engraved on the parts themselves is not necessarily the exact part # in the box.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:24 AM
il massimi bassi

Dr great info ...I have never used a 5th generation cover just non keyvalue 4th gen..i would like to try it on my friends 97...i hope we geta confirmed 5th gen cover # to put in the stickys!
Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 AM

Hope everything goes well. Did you order yours from Pinnacle? Did you talked to Kenny? If you did, he called me up stating that there's another org member who's trying to order 2k clutch components and wanted to find out what I ended up doing because of the clutch cover issue that I was having.

Anyhow, when you get your part, make sure that it is NOT similar to the 2k clutch cover photo (on the left) and just check that everything lines up right before taking the tranny down. I would hate to see anyone go thru the same hassles I went thru.

Is your clutch pedal stiff now? Let us know it feels after the clutch job. I'm curious to see if your pedal is going to be the same or softer.
I ordered mine from everythingnissan.com
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I got the old part number for my pp, I will try to get pics up for you later this afternoon.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

pics

Old 06-03-2005, 08:44 AM

if the only problem is the cover, I'll probably just clean and reuse my cover assuming the fingers look good and be done with it.

Then I'll send this one back to everything nissan.

Slag
Old 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM

nismos14,

Your 5th gen cover looks so identical to the 4th gen one. The only thing that it has different, from what I can see, are the groove patern on the cover and the extra holes along the edges. All other mounting holes match up with the 4th gen. Looks like you got everything you need. All we need now is the new part # from Nissan and all this can be in the stickies.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Wait a minute, this doesnt make any sense. You are saying that the incorrect cover/ pp changed from 30210-2Y920 to C0100-6E600? I was told buy nissan that it was the clutch disk that changed from 30100-2Y904 TO C0100-6E600. To confirm this I went to pinnicle's web site and used the online parts locator via part number and it was correct, C0100-6E600 is the new number for the disk not the cover.

I dont think there was any change to the cover whether it be the incorrect one or the correct one. The new one that I have being sent to me is 30210-89F00, which is the one that nismos has and the one that jsutter used in this thread...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=357673

I think that it is obvious what happened... I got sent the wrong cover and with out doing a quality test fitting, I posted the part numbers which you (dr-max) used to order your parts which in turn guaranteed that you would be sent the wrong cover. So, here is what I think are the correct part numbers to do the complete 5th gen job(and correct me if I missed something):

1. Release bearing- 30502-41U20
2. Disc- old #- 30100-2Y904; new #-C0100-6E600
3. Cover- 30210-89F00

Does this seem correct?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:42 AM

i30ds, for a while I was confusing myself. And yes, I initially said that the part# change was for the cover/pp but its actually for the clutch. And to confuse everyone even more, I put the wrong part # on the photo. Furthermore, the cover that I posted is totally wrong for the car. Sorry for freaking you out even more. When I posted all that stuff it was 2am and I was just trying to get some info out for everyone. I should have double-checked that.

Your part #'s below are correct.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Armed and Dangerous

i30ds, for a while I was confusing myself. And yes, I initially said that the part# change was for the cover/pp but its actually for the clutch. And to confuse everyone even more, I put the wrong part # on the photo. Furthermore, the cover that I posted is totally wrong for the car. Sorry for freaking you out even more. When I posted all that stuff it was 2am and I was just trying to get some info out for everyone. I should have double-checked that.

Your part #'s below are correct.
No problem I am just glad we all finally got this thing figured out... This should really be added to the stickies so others that want the 5th gen clutch dont have to go though this mess!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:02 PM

Perhaps we should all gather our own findings on the 5th gen clutch's performance and throw in some specifics as to advantages and disadvantages, if any. Then maybe one of us can do a small write up with part #'s. We don't have to include the steps in taking the tranny out and installing the clutch components. By next week, the clutch should be broken in and I can start doing some spirited runs and gather some data that way. I'm curious to see how different my setup will perform because i'm using a 4th gen PP.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:57 PM

DO NOT USE EVERYTHINGNISSAN.com

I would advise anyone counting on parts not to use everythingnissan.com

I ordered my parts Wednesday morning from them and specified 2day shipping. Was quoted the price and gave them my email address and phone number to contact me which they said they would.

Fast forward to today when I have no parts whatsoever on my doorstep when I get home from work. I call them up and evidentally they were out of the clutch disc and did not even think to call or email me and let me know. They simply did not ship my order. GREAT. I needed these parts for a clutch job this weekend because I'm going on pager next weekend and work all week.

BASTARDS.

Worst customer service ever. Don't use them if you are counting on parts. Evidentally they do not know how to use a phone or send email.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Those guys rely too much in their e-commerce technology that does not work. I have had the same issues with them before. They obviously don't care and could care less about following up because they already got your money. This is why I have switched to Pinnacle Nissan. If you want to get your stuff from them, talk to Kenny Gomez. He is very familiar with all of this.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:43 PM

I ended up getting a clutch kit from autozone.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Damn!!
Originally Posted by slag
I ended up getting a clutch kit from autozone.

Quick Reply: Clutch Job Gone to Hell - using 5th gen clutch and cover!