4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Time To Mod Is Now!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
the srt4 has a near cult like following. if u pick a mag or look at a online store u would see tons of support and praise for it. i by no means plan to buy one but for a car to come from its humble begining to stand on top of the sport sompact market is a huge deal. the people who dislike the srt4 tend to be people who r jealous of what the car has become.

i dont know about u but very few people see a max and have the same reaction as they do when they see a srt4 and thats because their markets are so different. and for those of us who are into modding cars we know that the max isnt a good bet but its what we have and we roll wit it. but dont get it twisted because i personally know many people that hate maxes....some chick didnt like it just cause it had 4 doors.

ohh and my friend who weighs 260lbs drove his bone stock srt4 to a 13.98 at the track and if the people u see with that car pull a mid to high 14 they should lose the right to drive it.
I would say that the civic or integra has a cult following NOT the neon... although since the early 90s people with mullets sold their IROCS and got neons and cavaliers inorder to compete in the sport compact scene... They are not different than all the other loosers who buy dsms with **** engines... I had a friend with one... he put a mere 10 psi boost on his chrysler I4 and with in a couple of months blew that bullsh!t apart... I laughed and said 'I told you so'. You anit never gonna see that happen on a VQ30... many are running more than that on stock internals! Seems to me as far as modding a FWD goes a max is one of the best... rivaled only by a 01-03 CL type s with a 6spd... No way am i jealous of a neon what so ever.

As far as your 260 lb friend who pulled a 14 in his neon... WOW I have to pull some runs on that track that you guys have... I gotta be in the 13s there...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=i30ds]They are not different than all the other loosers who buy dsms with **** engines...QUOTE]

A DSM, let's say a 1st gen eclipse GSX or talon AWD, with just a boost controller, would pretty much walk our cars with i/y/e. My boy has gone through mad sh*t with his DSM, but his engine is strong as Ours i would say. He has a low 11 second talon AWD, STOCK MOTOR ! Did HLH or Neil ever blow there motors ?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
UCF Lexus

what the hell is this crap?

I dont care what car comes out w/ 2987402762 hp. I will always love my max.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by paultyler_82
I'd still rather have a Q45
i rather have a m45.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by bijangxe
what the hell is this crap?

I dont care what car comes out w/ 2987402762 hp. I will always love my max.
hell yea... seems to me people are comparing apples and oranges.

4th Gen max- 6-10 year old SEDAN, No boost, made to be solid all-around
vs
New turbocharged sport compacts that are unproven after over time currently selling for 5 times the price of a 4th gen.

We should be stoked that this comparison even gets made!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
you want powerd do a vq35 swap and you will be happy. the thign you ned to imporve is the handling of the max and get rid of the boat feel.

all i know is that my previous two cars were a 90 town car and a 91 olds 88. Those were boats. Compared to them, my max isnt a boat at all. and even almost stock, it handles like a wet dream.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Ive drive newer cars and couldnt wait to get back into my max. i just like how the max looks and handles plus the feel you get while being inside it. I don't need to be in a super fast car it just makes me speed. With a little cash you can make the 4th gen hella fast, do a custom 3.5 drop or turbo and everyone is looking at your car not these newer american POS. You can make any car fast, its style that has points.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by gsmith795
what?!? you have to be sh!tting me...
I **** you not my brother: http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/performance.html

"SRT4's turbocharged and intercooled 2.4-liter double overhead camshaft (DOHC) 16-valve 4-cylinder engine produces an impressive 230 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque."

Anyway, why are there so few numbers in this thread? The SRT-4 is meant to be a fast little ****er for not a ton of money. And why the HELL are you guys saying $20,000 for an SRT-4.

Originally Posted by Spaniard
New turbocharged sport compacts that are unproven after over time currently selling for 5 times the price of a 4th gen.
I know this is a Maxima fanboard, but that is just plain dumb and wrong. Five times? A good gen4 in good condition sells for around $7000.

A heavily modded SRT-4 is about $13,000

I'm sorry, I like Maximas too, but I'm not gonna lie, SRT-4's are no slouches and they aren't 20 grand.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:02 PM

srt 20 grand or not, i would still pick my max over it.
Its roomy, its comfortable, and it has decent speed. not as fast as an srt4 but im sure as hell happy enough with my car.
It has good looks and it turns heads! and not to mention, srt-4 is still a neon, dont you forget that.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:35 PM

No offense Mr. Maximus, but this thread wasn't about luxury or looks, it was about performance. I'm fairly certain the thread started and pretty much everyone who has posted thus far knows that the Maxima is a more luxurious, better looking, and more roomy than a neon.

And whats wrong with being a neon? My opinion of a 'bad car' is one that fails at what it's supposed to do. A maxima is supposed to be a nice blend of luxury and performance. It does that. A neon (non-srt4) is supposed to be an economy car with good gas mileage, which it is. The SRT-4 is supposed to be a compact speed demon, which it is. I'd say as far as Nissan and Dodge are concerned, they both did a damn good job, even though their intentions were obviously different.

And in response to the thread starter's question about the solstice, I'm not sure what to think:

Also, Dodge is coming out with a 2006 Charger. I know what you're thinking, "WTF!?"...It's taking after the 'old' charger, 250 hp and just under two tons. Such a small engine for a charger!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Decker87
No offense Mr. Maximus, but this thread wasn't about luxury or looks, it was about performance. I'm fairly certain the thread started and pretty much everyone who has posted thus far knows that the Maxima is a more luxurious, better looking, and more roomy than a neon.

And whats wrong with being a neon? My opinion of a 'bad car' is one that fails at what it's supposed to do. A maxima is supposed to be a nice blend of luxury and performance. It does that. A neon (non-srt4) is supposed to be an economy car with good gas mileage, which it is. The SRT-4 is supposed to be a compact speed demon, which it is. I'd say as far as Nissan and Dodge are concerned, they both did a damn good job, even though their intentions were obviously different.

And in response to the thread starter's question about the solstice, I'm not sure what to think:

Also, Dodge is coming out with a 2006 Charger. I know what you're thinking, "WTF!?"...It's taking after the 'old' charger, 250 hp and just under two tons. Such a small engine for a charger!
Offense not taken....i know this thread was not about luxury or looks, but i was stating that even though these new cars are much faster than our cars, we still have qualities to not be jealous of others.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 AM

I'm sorry, that Solstice makes me want to vomit just about as much as the Aztek did..

Originally Posted by gsmith795
what?!? you have to be sh!tting me...
I **** you not my brother: http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/performance.html

"SRT4's turbocharged and intercooled 2.4-liter double overhead camshaft (DOHC) 16-valve 4-cylinder engine produces an impressive 230 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque."
I'm gonna guess sarcasm is lost on you...

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
i rather have a m45.
I totally agree, in fact my next car I'm planning for is a M45 Sport, however, as far as used cars go, I love my I30, I love how it looks, performs, and handles. The other day I saw the front of a 98 Q45 that until closer inspection I had pegged as another Pebble Beige I30 like mine, then I noticed it was a bit different, So the styling on the Q was very similar to my I, but they get the bigger engine, lucky dogs... too bad the VH41DE wasn't an option for Max's and I's
Old 06-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a good comparison to our maximas would be the older mazda 626, older toyota camry v6, and older honda accord v6 as all of those came in a 5 speed model..
Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 AM

Oh, of course nothing can compete with the Maxima. I mean, it's God's chariot...

BTW, dragging a 14 year old NSX into an argument about grocery getters is lame.

I've seen plenty of SRT's in the 12's, 13's w/ mild mods. And an early '90s NSX is more of a high 13, 14 car, at least that's what I see at the track.

Originally Posted by i30ds
2 grand to compete with a POS like the SRT4 neon is nothing compared to actually buying that neon for $22,000... for that price you could get a early 90s NSX with low miles that is low 13s!!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:21 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

So you would buy a used turbo-charged neon that was probably beat up on pretty good for 13k, than buy a new one for 20k? I think the comparison he was making is or us to buy our cars used, and the srt4 owners to buy them new.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 AM

and for those of us who are into modding cars we know that the max isnt a good bet but its what we have and we roll wit it. but dont get it twisted because i personally know many people that hate maxes....some chick didnt like it just cause it had 4 doors..
I personally wouldn't give a f*ck, would you? Most girls seem to be surprised that I drive a max instead of a riced out civic like most guys my age. So like you said, different tastes for different crowds.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA StyLeZ
When that turbo spools up, we can't compete. If you want a fast max, 3.5 swap w/ complete supporting mods + forced induction, which makes reliability go down the drain. So all in all, a max is not meant to be fast, but is quick, and stylish.
Why forced induction? I pulled a 13.6@104 with my vq35 max on my first weekend with it at the track with normal, worn street tires. It's got alot more left in it, 2k2 IM is stock, no tuning, stock redline, little weight reduction ect.

Hell, Sr20Den pulled a 12.8 and with a great 60 foot his car has mid 12s in it. When you get to the point where there's the potential to run 12s, I don't call it "quick" I give it it's due: "Fast".

My max is more reliable than when it was stock (33k miles on the motor) and pulls better MPG. What's not to like?

Oh, and by the way, 2000$ in mods + 3200$ for the car=mid 13s for 5200$ and super reliable. How is that not good bang for the buck?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I think its impressive that most of the 3.0 engine nowadays is squeezing out 250hp+, to me that is cause for alarm seeing that stock we are still below 200hp with a 3.0. An apple and orange comparison to me is a turbo 4 banger vs a v6 only because head to head turbo with the same size engine would be a better comparison in my opinion; beating a 4 cyl. with a turbo doesn't do it for me. Not too worried about newer cars, they have their props and respect, I'll go turbo for about $3k and call it a day, sit back relax and enjoy my ride. Looking for the 2 "p"s, powerful and paid off.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Armed and Dangerous

And why the HELL are you guys saying $20,000 for an SRT-4.

I know this is a Maxima fanboard, but that is just plain dumb and wrong. Five times? A good gen4 in good condition sells for around $7000.

A heavily modded SRT-4 is about $13,000

I'm sorry, I like Maximas too, but I'm not gonna lie, SRT-4's are no slouches and they aren't 20 grand.
Please do not spread misinformation. The sticker price for C+Ds tester $21690 on 4-04. And the srt4 is a tremendous slouch.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Shadow
Oh, of course nothing can compete with the Maxima. I mean, it's God's chariot...

BTW, dragging a 14 year old NSX into an argument about grocery getters is lame.

I've seen plenty of SRT's in the 12's, 13's w/ mild mods. And an early '90s NSX is more of a high 13, 14 car, at least that's what I see at the track.
You obvioulsy missed the point of the comparison. Bringing up the NSX has nothing to do with the 'grocery getter' max... The NSX was used to show what you can get performance wise for $22000 instead of a rip off piece of **** like a brand new neon with a turbo.

And that NSX you saw pull a low 14... the driver should have his left leg removed if it already was not an auto to begin with... There is a bone stock 92 NSX that I have seen pull low 13s consistantly down at the track.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Armed and Dangerous

[QUOTE=MaximA StyLeZ]
They are not different than all the other loosers who buy dsms with **** engines...QUOTE]

A DSM, let's say a 1st gen eclipse GSX or talon AWD, with just a boost controller, would pretty much walk our cars with i/y/e. My boy has gone through mad sh*t with his DSM, but his engine is strong as Ours i would say. He has a low 11 second talon AWD, STOCK MOTOR ! Did HLH or Neil ever blow there motors ?
DSMs have sh!tty build quality but do not forget that it is a Mitsubishi motor... the neon is chrysler and Id like to see one of those pull 11s on stock internals.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:59 PM

No, I think you've missed the point. Dragging an NSX into a comparison regarding 4 dr. sedans is silly. Why not just start talking about Z28's and so on, they can be had for cheap and run low 13's, 12's. And you're basing your entire NSX comparison on one NSX which happens to be owned by a good driver. Early '90s NSX's were not fast, 270 hp or so dragging a 3100lb body around. Low 13's is good, but definitely not what they all run.

You hate Neons, that's pretty clear. But it has no real bearing on the discussion at hand. Original poster made the point that newer cars seem to have a lot of HP, it's that simple. And $22K for a turbo Neon isn't that bad. It comes with a lot of nice parts, and they are fast. I don't really like them, but it's a lot of bang for the buck. New Maximas are way more expensive. You can't compare the price of a 8,9,10 year old Maxima w/ the price of a new Neon, apples and oranges.

You obvioulsy missed the point of the comparison. Bringing up the NSX has nothing to do with the 'grocery getter' max... The NSX was used to show what you can get performance wise for $22000 instead of a rip off piece of **** like a brand new neon with a turbo.

And that NSX you saw pull a low 14... the driver should have his left leg removed if it already was not an auto to begin with... There is a bone stock 92 NSX that I have seen pull low 13s consistantly down at the track.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:03 PM

He's not spreading misinformation. A heavily modded SRT can be had for $13K used. I just don't get why you don't see this, you're comparing used Maximas to new SRT's. Either compare new to new, or used to used. It's that simple. Comparing a new Neon to a used Maxima and talking about the Maxima being a better value totally skews the argument.

Please do not spread misinformation. The sticker price for C+Ds tester $21690 on 4-04. And the srt4 is a tremendous slouch.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Armed and Dangerous

No, I think you've missed the point. Dragging an NSX into a comparison regarding 4 dr. sedans is silly. Why not just start talking about Z28's and so on, they can be had for cheap and run low 13's, 12's...
You very could substitiute a Z28 in there... there cheap, got a good motor, and over all have a high level of performance... only draw back is that the interior is a little ugly. Good bang for your buck though...

You can't compare the price of a 8,9,10 year old Maxima w/ the price of a new Neon, apples and oranges.
Why not?... They are both cars arent they? Its not like we are talking about crotch rocks here...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Armed and Dangerous

He's not spreading misinformation. A heavily modded SRT can be had for $13K used. I just don't get why you don't see this, you're comparing used Maximas to new SRT's. Either compare new to new, or used to used. It's that simple. Comparing a new Neon to a used Maxima and talking about the Maxima being a better value totally skews the argument.
I dont get why you obvioulsy didnt read the first post that started this? Puppet Killer Said NEW not USED... and once again why cant I make this comparison. After all it is what this tread is about new vs used...tell me HOW it skews the argument.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:21 PM

That post I read. Everything made sense until you brought in the Acura NSX to bash the Neon SRT. That makes no sense at all. You're comparing 2 different leagues of cars where the only similarity is price point and only then because one is 14 years old. Nobody shopping for a new 4 dr. sedan such as the Neon, Maxima, Cobalt, etc. is going to get a 14 year old NSX.

My bigger point is that the entire new vs. used argument is invalid. New Maximas are 30K, for that kind of money, I could get a used Supra, RX7, NSX, Corvette, etc. that would smoke it. But it doesn't make the Maxima any less of a car. See my point? The Neon is $22K new, stacked up against other NEW cars in it's price range, it's prety decent. NSX's are $85K new, there are many cars for half the price that could smoke it, but I doubt the NSX owner would care.

I dont get why you obvioulsy didnt read the first post that started this? Puppet Killer Said NEW not USED... and once again why cant I make this comparison. After all it is what this tread is about new vs used...tell me HOW it skews the argument.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I really hate posting off topic but I don't really have any other options. I'm a new member and can't start a new thread, and the search function is turned off. I have a 96' SE Auto that I bought about a month ago, and I'm really starting to love the car. I just debadged the back end, I have a CAI in the mail on its way etc. But I had a couple real quick questions. What is the stock HP for a stock 96 SE with auto?

Secondly I've seen all of the 20+ HP chips on ebay and I know theyre not worth 20$ however I was told its simply a resistor that I can get for about $0.39 and was wondering what colors I need to find for one. I've heard they don't do much but for $0.39 why not.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:09 PM
brotherhood of tq

I would say that the civic or integra has a cult following NOT the neon... although since the early 90s people with mullets sold their IROCS and got neons and cavaliers inorder to compete in the sport compact scene... They are not different than all the other loosers who buy dsms with **** engines... I had a friend with one... he put a mere 10 psi boost on his chrysler I4 and with in a couple of months blew that bullsh!t apart... I laughed and said 'I told you so'. You anit never gonna see that happen on a VQ30... many are running more than that on stock internals! Seems to me as far as modding a FWD goes a max is one of the best... rivaled only by a 01-03 CL type s with a 6spd... No way am i jealous of a neon what so ever.

As far as your 260 lb friend who pulled a 14 in his neon... WOW I have to pull some runs on that track that you guys have... I gotta be in the 13s there...
yo not to take a stab at you but u could get a 13 at englishtown in your max in its current state if u had a rolling start.....

also i have never met a person who old an iroc to buy any neon or cavileir(sp)

and if u ever looked at some track tims many of them are held by people with dsm's that bang out times and 60' that a maxima could only drea of getting to.

i also have heard of many people here on this board that have blown a motor boosting it. not to mention the numerous 3.5's in the z/g cars that are no longer running right.

and i said the srt4 has a cult following not a neon, the same with people that own evo's. it might share some parts with a lancer it doesnt make it one. many of the best cars are build off of good base model cars. if u ever go to a gathering of people you would see that as far as new cars go the srt4 tends to be one of the largest groups of cars there, maybe after the evo clubs. here in jersey ever sun n wed i see about 20 of them in one parking lot all modded differently. i rarely see new civics in numbers like that. maybe u could find alot of used ones ad thats because they were cheap to buy.

and u are th first and only person who ever called a cl type s one of the best modded fwd cars. u need to look at some fwd history before u say anything liek that again.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kingrichard336
Hey, I really hate posting off topic but I don't really have any other options. I'm a new member and can't start a new thread, and the search function is turned off. I have a 96' SE Auto that I bought about a month ago, and I'm really starting to love the car. I just debadged the back end, I have a CAI in the mail on its way etc. But I had a couple real quick questions. What is the stock HP for a stock 96 SE with auto?

Secondly I've seen all of the 20+ HP chips on ebay and I know theyre not worth 20$ however I was told its simply a resistor that I can get for about $0.39 and was wondering what colors I need to find for one. I've heard they don't do much but for $0.39 why not.
To save you some time on the resistor thing, that ebay thing is CRAP! i repeat.....CRAP. dont get it. If you want, get it, its your money, but if i was you, i would save that $20 dollars towards a ypipe where it actually gives you hp.
and second, dont be lazy, you can search how much hp your car has in yahoo or google and that, i will not help you with. learn to search like we all do!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kingrichard336

dont waste your time with the 20+ hp mod or even a resistor, you might get like 2 hp with a tailwind and no one else in your car. the stock hp with an auto is about 160 whp

edit: oh yeah, Welcome to the ORG!!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Armed and Dangerous

yo not to take a stab at you but u could get a 13 at englishtown in your max in its current state if u had a rolling start......
I dont know how you didnt see that what I said was a joke... I am still auto and I would even break 15s...

and u are th first and only person who ever called a cl type s one of the best modded fwd cars. u need to look at some fwd history before u say anything liek that again.
Why not 6spd... luxurious... good looks... and plenty of parts from comptech. It just that dupping a bunch of money into a civic is not really all that classy.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 PM

I think my love of the max is more about the engine, I've owned a few four bangers, including *gasp* a neon... I hated my neon, I despised it, and I was so glad to get rid of the little piece of junk, in fact, I can't name a four banger that I enjoyed owning, even the Eclipse gsx I had was rather underwhelming, I think I'll just stick with V6's and bigger. The only domestic market vehs I've owned that I liked was an 89 Beretta CL and a 90 Cavalier Z24, both with the 3.1L V6, a great engine. My neon had horrible build quality and felt so cheap, even for it's price, it was not worth the price I paid for it and I was so very happy when I got rid of it within a few months time. I don't see how slapping a turbo and an aggressive body onto that thing makes it any more worth it, same goes for the Cobalt SC, its the Cavalier's replacement for god's sake... I've driven every generation of Cav and owned a 2nd gen, and it seemed like every generation got cheaper and shoddier in quality. You could dump all the money you would save from not buying one of these and get a comperable japanese vehicle. The problem is that the US manufacturers have been putting out crap for years, not in all cases, my 2nd gen Cav and Beretta were quite good, but now they've been feeling the squeeze from the Japanese manufacturers and are being forced to fix thier standards, but they're still a little way off. Chrysler/Dodge are probably the closest thing on the USDM to the Japanese manufacturers, because they got started earlier on not mass producing junk, and while the SRT4 is sort of neat looking and is powerful, it still, after test driving one, just feels cheap to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE=gsmith795
edit: oh yeah, Welcome to the ORG!!!! [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm going to be putting in a ypipe in time, its just a matter of things I can do for the car while broke. ie. debadging and stuff like that. I just liked the small possibility of getting anything at all out of 40 cents worth of effort.

From what I've seen so far this seems like a very cool site.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
brotherhood of tq

I dont know how you didnt see that what I said was a joke... I am still auto and I would even break 15s...

Why not 6spd... luxurious... good looks... and plenty of parts from comptech. It just that dupping a bunch of money into a civic is not really all that classy.

i can never get humor when its typed. but the comptech blower is nice but im not sure i its something many people purchase
Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
what my car lacks in power, i try to make up for it in handling and looks.

werd, its all about pimpin and crusin homie
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
Totally agreed!
Another additional point ot two- SRT's are little, not able to carry cargo/peeps in the same comfort. Plus, its pretty cool that it takes a new little mini-rocket that is turbo'd to compete with our better looking N/A 4-door sedan that is about a decade older and could practically fit a neon in the trunk!! (slight exaggeration, ok...)

One of the coolest things about the 4th gen is that it is comparatively light (often 500 lbs lighter than a comperable car), and also has a good wheelbase for stability/predictability.
The only mistake I made when buying my maxima was the optional warranty- not neccesary.
Spaniard, I meant to ask you..what's that extra piece hanging off the rear by the tire that's off the ground? I've seen that in a couple of pics, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what that is!! Exhaust???
Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Under the radar

Our Max's Had a good run and are still running away with the win from most daily driven cars. with a few mods we can keep up with the newbies on the block, thats saying alot from a car that is 5-10 years old.