4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Help...Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 07:09 PM
BrandonFord

Hello everyone. I adore my 97 GLE with 60k miles and have never had any problems with it until now. Just wondering if any of you have had the same problem and what remedy'd it.

1. Battery started dying (no idiot light appeared on the instrument panel, but i'm not shure if maxima's have one anyway) My best ally when trying to figure the charge of the battery has been the digital clock's brightness and lack there of.
2. When accelerating and the car constantly running >10mph the clock is bright and I regain usage of the air conditioner and radio. But when stopping or driving extremely slow I lose the air conditioner, radio, and the clock begins to dim.
3. My first instinct was "battery" but I replaced that to no avail. After about 30 minutes of driving it started the same process over again.
4. Then I checked my belt. It didn't look like the belt was turning properly, and 60k miles is the suggested time to replace it so I did just that.
5. While the belt was off I turned the altenator and compressor to make shure they weren't locked up. They both turned normally.
6. I installed the new belt. (I'm having a hard time getting it tightened fully and any tips would help tremendously)
7. I drove my car around a bit to see if the new belt had helped (when I got it as tight as possible... no squealing until I hit about 3500 RPM's in neutral.. and no squealing when I drove the car). I drove around for about 10 minutes at 40 MPH and had no charge problems untill I stopped the car and tried to start it again....I stress "TRIED" to start it again.

I'm thinking that the altenator may not be generating enough amperage but it could also be a problem between the altenator and the battery. Anyone have this problem before? And any tips on tightning the belt more would help as well.

Thanks a TON

Old 05-16-2001, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by BrandonFord
... I'm having a hard time getting it tightened fully and any tips would help tremendously ...
Go to http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/mega...0k_service.html
Scroll down to Step 7, Belt Replacement.
Click on any of the thumbnails for an enlarged image.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:11 PM
BrandonFord

Tried the link but didn't work, went to the site and still couldn't find it =(

Old 05-16-2001, 08:22 PM

... I'm thinking that the altenator may not be generating enough amperage but it could also be a problem between the altenator and the battery. ...
Most auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic tester and takes only two minutes. Please have this test performed on your car. The results will point you in the right direction.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:27 PM
BrandonFord

Thanks for the tip, didn't even think about that. I'll drive her to the autozone down the street tomorrow and get em to check it out. If it is the altenator does anyone know where I might get one for less than $200 (autozone's price after core trade)?

Thanks again

Old 05-16-2001, 08:36 PM

... If it is the altenator does anyone know where I might get one for less than $200 (autozone's price after core trade)? ...
PartsAmerica.com lists
AUTOLITE #15844 $157 + shipping

I've placed two orders with PartsAmerica.com and been pleased. If the part is in stock at your nearest Advance Auto store you get it the same day with no charge for shipping and no sales tax (provided you are not in California). I don't know how they can get away with that, but they do!
Old 05-17-2001, 02:10 AM

one thing that kinda make me wonder is how you noted you turned the alternator to make sure it wasn't frozen. it shouldn't turn too freely.

also, you might not want to leave the belt on there 'as tight as you could get it'. it puts a large load on all the bearing of the devices attached to the best and can cause other failures.

-V
Old 05-17-2001, 03:29 AM

Sounds like alternator really. When your engine runs harder the alternator cranks more juice, thus lighting up your display better. However, one would think if you had enough juice to start the car u wouldn't have a dim light.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:43 PM

Go to the thread entitled......

I'm thinking that the altenator may not be generating enough amperage but it could also be a problem between the altenator and the battery. Anyone have this problem before? And any tips on tightning the belt more would help as well.

Thanks a TON
Dan Maxima......Alternator Charging question..Dan an vmok gave me a sheet load of information that may give you an idea of what,s going on. Thread starter was me BTW!
Old 05-18-2001, 10:42 AM
BrandonFord

Thanks for all the Help

Thanks for all the help everyone. It was the alternator (definately not a cheap fix). Sorry to be such a bother, but the last 3 cars i've owned have all been american rear wheel drives with a much different setup under the hood and much easier (not to mention cheaper) to maintain. But I wouldn't trade my maxima for all of them combined.