4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CarPuter Installed and working PIC inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

CarPuter Installed and working PIC inside.

Sorry My digital Cammera is on its way out. Picture are kind of crappy, but you can get the idea.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Sweet. You build the 'puter yourself?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 PM

Old 06-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Kevlo for President

That is freaking awesome dude. Wireless internet in a car = teh hotness
Old 06-07-2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by THT
Sweet. You build the 'puter yourself?
yeh, its not totaly finished tho, Those picture is from my laptop, I was testing it out.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Whats the point if you can't even read what it says on the screen though? Awesome Idea though.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:05 PM

you can deffinitly read it in the car, my digital camera sucks. you can see the text clearly. I am going to get GPS reciver hooked up to it, and I am all set.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:13 PM

That is awsome. Good job.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 PM

You can laso make the font large to see better.
Well done.
How much did the whole project ran you? And do you have internet as well?
Where is your carputer located?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:20 PM

I still don't get the concept of a carputer! I mean you have to take your eyes off the road much more to read whats on the screen since there's so many things on it. And how about being able to angle the screen like the ones on a dvd player.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Made in Taiwan

that's so cool. need some write ups on this. don't dodge and hide how you get your gats.

this is a great contribution to the orgers...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
sunten1

Cool man, how much did it run you...i assume your gonna have a big hard drive in there for all your mp3....i mean legal songs, that you riped your self....

Old 06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great system! I really like carputers although I don't think I'd go through the whole process. Noisy power inverters and a lack of SOLID buttons kind of doesn't cut it for me. I'd at least need a real volume, next, previous, play, stop...

But good luck w/ it!

Friend of mine did a custom job in his GTi. Wireless mouse/keyboard tray under the passenger seat and a special remote which had all the functions of a "music player" (CD, mp3, DVD, etc...).
Had the Microsoft GPS system hooked up and a powered USB hub in the glove box. Built-in wifi card, Bluetooth, and a bunch of other crap... Until one day his HDD blew out b/c of his suspension setup - the car was on rails basically and it was more than the computer could handle - and the drive was mounted on a rubber isolator...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Oh yeah i do have couple of problems. One the altenator noise, Second i have find a solid place to mouth the casing. I have loud system in the back of my car. I don't want to mess up the HD. I will write a good detail about this. I am exiceted the wiring and all working. Also i am using FM modulator which realy sucks. I have to turn to chanel 88.3. The computer will cost me about 400 bucks. Hard drive size will be around 120 gb.

I might just use my laptop for this. I am still deciding, I have the case and the mobo, power supply. So i dont know yet.

I got the LCD from one of my good Friend for $80 Bucks.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Oh yeah i do have couple of problems. One the altenator noise, Second i have find a solid place to mouth the casing. I have loud system in the back of my car. I don't want to mess up the HD. I will write a good detail about this. I am exiceted the wiring and all working. Also i am using FM modulator which realy sucks. I have to turn to chanel 88.3. The computer will cost me about 400 bucks. Hard drive size will be around 120 gb.

I might just use my laptop for this. I am still deciding, I have the case and the mobo, power supply. So i dont know yet.
In the pic I see you're keeping a H/U... why not run a "line out" (not speaker out) from the PC's sound card into the AUX input on the H/U? At first my friend took his H/U out but after realizing that he has no radio and ONLY a computer for his media, he popped it back in and did it that way. This way you still have a CD player in the front at least for audio CDs, mp3 CDs, and an actual radio...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Thank you to you all, for the support, I will have detail write up on this. It is not realy hard, I am computer techiction, i work on computers all the time. I understand computers very well. Still its not hard thing to do.
1. You need Touch Screen LCD with VGA Input. (Ebay great source to find them)
2. You can use your Laptop or Build a Micro ITX MOBO with a custom case.
3. Just running the wires.
4. Blue tooth Keyboard and a mouse.
5. Wireless Network Card. I would go with the one that supports A,G,B network types. Linksys makes one.
You can get most of the stuff from this site. http://www.mp3car.com/store/
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM

I got the LCD from one of my good Friend for $80 Bucks.
why don't u put the HD under one of the seats and get a really long ATA cable (they sell them as long as 3ft) and hook it up to the MOBO in the trunk (unless yer speaker magnets could ruin something else) congrats
Old 06-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter
why don't u put the HD under one of the seats and get a really long ATA cable (they sell them as long as 3ft) and hook it up to the MOBO in the trunk (unless yer speaker magnets could ruin something else) congrats
Mobo under the seat? I think it'd need some more room to vent, no?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 PM

Did I just completely misread that or did you make a type-o and edit it?
I could have SWORN you wrote "mobo under seat..."

Oh man I'm going crazy...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by aapp81
In the pic I see you're keeping a H/U... why not run a "line out" (not speaker out) from the PC's sound card into the AUX input on the H/U? At first my friend took his H/U out but after realizing that he has no radio and ONLY a computer for his media, he popped it back in and did it that way. This way you still have a CD player in the front at least for audio CDs, mp3 CDs, and an actual radio...

My head Unit does not have a Aux Input, that is the problem. That is why I use a FM modulator.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 PM

My head Unit does not have a Aux Input, that is the problem. That is why I use a FM modulator.
My mistake - I should have caught on when you said you're using the mod. the first time...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter

No the Serial ATA cables are not that long. Case needs to be in a area that does not over heat or the hard drive get hit with vibration from the subs. A HD can stand up to 350 Gs shock, when it is not spinning. HD failure is very common with Carputers. Heat is number one failure to the HD.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

all i ask is does that screen say lilliput? like the oompah loompahs? Forgive me for my curiousity but im weird
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 PM

The Don is proud of you too, Johnny.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Is everything going to go through the mod to the h/u and then to your speakers? Or will that be a secondary way? Meaning, are you possibly going to go from the sound card into an external multi-channel amp which you'd hood up to your existing car speakers. Basically, the carputer would be another h/u hookup. As well, are you stil going to keep your sub-out from your h/u for CD/radio purposes?

Sorry, for all the questions - I'm just curious how people do it and how it differs from my friend's setup since his was supposed to be a "pro job" (but who knows...)
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
all i ask is does that screen say lilliput? like the oompah loompahs? Forgive me for my curiousity but im weird

No you are right, it is called Lilliput. That's the name
Old 06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Team Ramrod

Awesome man, good job
Old 06-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by aapp81
Is everything going to go through the mod to the h/u and then to your speakers? Or will that be a secondary way? Meaning, are you possibly going to go from the sound card into an external multi-channel amp which you'd hood up to your existing car speakers. Basically, the carputer would be another h/u hookup. As well, are you stil going to keep your sub-out from your h/u for CD/radio purposes?

Sorry, for all the questions - I'm just curious how people do it and how it differs from my friend's setup since his was supposed to be a "pro job" (but who knows...)
Everything will go throught he H/U. as far as the sound for the Carputer, i am going to use one of these http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...65733?v=glance
Going to RCA Spliter and from there goes to the FM MOD. and i am getting a RCA switcher to take care of the that. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=159616
Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 PM

Wow, you're making me rethink this whole carputer thing!
The more you post about it, the more I want to try to do this!

Although, I would have to put in quite a bit of research into the different setups and units available.

Once again, good luck with your setup!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:34 PM

Thank very much, and thanks to everyone else for their comments. Just invest some money into a LCD the rest comes along, little by little. I definitely recommend EBay.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Custom User Title

Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>Magnifier

Good job
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 PM

I have been looking into this. I was at a site that made car-specific cases and other stuff for these (you may have touched on that, not sure)
If I didn't have 100 other things to do i'd be trying this also.

On a side note, I used to play around in Linux, and they had a program called XMMS, or winamp basicly, there you could wire an IR and use any remote to program audio functions. Problem is, haven't come across anything like that for windows, it would be a nice tool to have in the car
Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

... but only 30% there hehe

you might consider cutting that bar off... but the remote is good. I'll get some more pics but i don't want to hijaack ur thread.

I ended up using XPE
Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 PM

how are you dealing with the heat the carputer may face. I looked into this a lot and didnt think I would get enough cooling to the system to keep it from overheating unless I went in the water cooled direction especially on a day like today in NY.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:44 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

depends on the processor and stuff u put in the casing of course ...

i ended up going the embedded way so my CPU is 1ghz but it is fanless ... but i put a fan in there anyways to help.

as far as temprature, any carpc won't be running in an environment where the driver would feel too hot or too cold anyways .. so it should be ok.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:40 AM

can never go wrong with too cold for a pc, but anyways I was just concerned because if the car has been sitting awhile in the sun say on a 90degree day the insides boil which in turn will cause the case to be near the temp. So when you first fire up the cpu its in an environment thats so hot to begin with and it will keep getting hotter when the cpu starts churning away.

I guess it depends on the cpu you would end up using and how high its load temperatures are. If you had a flip out lcd touch screen that was a headunit. the bottom 2 slots could be used for the mini case and for the water cooling reservoir I would put it in the ash tray possibly. Defintely something to think about if I wanted to showoff and had the cash.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:45 AM

berry berry nice! keep up that work and lets see a write up and some carshow trophies!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Well, it is a Pioneer and they make an item that plugs into the IP bus cable where a changer usually plugs in and it has rca ins on it (i think it is called cprb20 or something like that), it would be better than the fm mod and it should allow you to hit the source button and have an aux.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maxtank
On a side note, I used to play around in Linux, and they had a program called XMMS, or winamp basicly, there you could wire an IR and use any remote to program audio functions. Problem is, haven't come across anything like that for windows, it would be a nice tool to have in the car
There are a few for Windows. I enjoy a nice 'legal' copy of UICE. It works well with many different IR setups.

I'm working on a carputer myself. I've got the mini computer and the Xenarc 7 inch is in the mail.....I'll definately post pictures when I finally get around to install it.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

hey cystum,

does ur lilliput screen ever go white after a long use? I think i have some heating issues with mine. I never noticed it in my car, but i did when I had it on my desk testing a couple of times. Albeit it was on for a long time, but i was thinking of replacing the internal speaker with a fan.

The great thing about this screen is it fits SO perfect behind the dash. i don't want to open it up or play around with it anyways.

for sound, i bought an RB10 adapter for my pioneer and use the AUX source. This setup was surprisingly awesome .. no quality or sound difference.

any pics of ur system?

Quick Reply: CarPuter Installed and working PIC inside.