4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yellow Hella Fog bulbs (burn out) :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 11:02 AM
the_1

Hey. Anyone else have the problem with their yellow hella's buring out after a period of time? My first set lasted pretty long, but successive sets havent done so well. A craked fog lens could have something to do with survival of the bulb right?!?!

Chris

Old 05-17-2001, 12:53 PM

Many of us have had this experience >>

It seems that the quality of Hella bulbs has had it's ups and downs. An alternative to the Hella bulbs are the Philips WeatherVision/AllWeather bulbs. Like the Hella Yellowstars, they emit yellow light, but I believe that the Philips units are of better quality.

See here:

http://www.autooptiks.com

Look on their chart for the Philips WeatherVision/AllWeather H3 55W bulbs.
Old 05-17-2001, 01:16 PM

Re: Many of us have had this experience >>

Originally posted by Albertt
It seems that the quality of Hella bulbs has had it's ups and downs. An alternative to the Hella bulbs are the Philips WeatherVision/AllWeather bulbs. Like the Hella Yellowstars, they emit yellow light, but I believe that the Philips units are of better quality.

See here:

http://www.autooptiks.com

Look on their chart for the Philips WeatherVision/AllWeather H3 55W bulbs.
Albertt, do you have pictures of you fog lights on at night? How do they look? Do they shine out a pure yellow? Or are there traces of non-yellow?

I have PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs and I think because of the lens it's more of a "splotchy" yellow...yellow with splotches of non-yellow...

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2001, 09:36 PM

It shouldn,t matter.....

Originally posted by the_1
A craked fog lens could have something to do with survival of the bulb right?!?!

Chris
Not really IMO. My celica has had a hole in the headlight glass/lens and has been that way for over a year. Matters more if your fingers touch the glass because of the oil on your skin. Causes the glass to get hotter causing premature failure of the bulb.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:03 PM

Re: It shouldn,t matter.....

Originally posted by dch95

Not really IMO. My celica has had a hole in the headlight glass/lens and has been that way for over a year. Matters more if your fingers touch the glass because of the oil on your skin. Causes the glass to get hotter causing premature failure of the bulb.
mine burned out after 1 1/2 years and it also cracked the foglight lens.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:16 AM

Yes, touching the bulb glass is definitely a no-no. >>

Originally posted by dch95

But there are differences in bulb life due to quality.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:22 AM

dsmercado: Sorry, i don't have pictures... >>

Originally posted by dsmercado

Albertt, do you have pictures of you fog lights on at night? How do they look? Do they shine out a pure yellow? Or are there traces of non-yellow?

I have PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs and I think because of the lens it's more of a "splotchy" yellow...yellow with splotches of non-yellow...

Thanks!
But, my foglamps have that same color issue. It stems not from the lens (etched or clear), but rather from the fact that in order to achieve the yellow color, manufacturers apply a dichroic coating to the bulb glass. This yields a slight rainbow affect in the light that is projected. This is also why, when one looks at the lamp, the lamp does not appear to be very yellow, but if one looks at the light projected, it appear much more yellow that light from a clear bulb.