4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Give Me Some Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Please Give Me Some Feedback

I am basically a newb in the max market but have been doin some reading the past few weeks and have found out a thing or two. I am looking for a 4th gen 97-99 with about 80k (so I can hopefully avoid the differential bearing prob) in a manual version. Ideally I would get a black SE with leather seats, digital climate control and the works. What are the benefits/downfalls of going this route and what should I look for? How much money should I spend? 6-7.5k would be nice and what sorta practical yet worth-while mods should I look into. I want this to be a slow progressive proj that will only be outfitted with the best of the best. So give all the input you max freaks got. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM

And by the way as a side note. I do mobile electronics installations in the South East so if someone is ichin' for anything electrical, PM me. I am always looking for side work.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Wild for Width

I think you should find somthin you will like for that kind of money and specs you listed.

For engine, y-pipe and intake are easy mods that you will notice for not much money

For handling, getting a suspension on the Max is the best thing you can do. The motor (in stock trim) is already more than enough for the current suspension.

Best of luck for your search, wait for the right one don't settle.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:17 PM

Read the FAQs and stickies. You should be able to get something suitable in the price range you've stated.

I am not so sure that there is a finite cutoff where you know that you won't have a problem with the differential bearing, but believe its more specific to the 95/96s, rather than the 97/99s.

Modding is a question of taste. The best bang for the buck performance mod is an aftermarket y-pipe.

I have a stainless steel Budget y-pipe, coupled with a K&N panel filter, and quite like it as I'm not into noise.

I suggest you bide your time and continue to read and learn all you can and perhaps hold off on the questions for awhile before you get flamed. Just my $0.02.

Edit - I haven't had any transmission problems and may not experience the dreaded differential-bearing problem as my 5-speed was built for the Canadian market and has a limited-slip differential (LSD) and has been less prone to the diff. bearing failure.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Before I get "flamed"? I'm new with a lot of the abbrieviations even if this isn't one. So try to explain please.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Read the FAQs. I believe the acronyms are explained. I trust you know what an acronym is, eg. RSB, FSTB, RSTB etc. Are you asking what flamed means? If you don't know I trust you will find out in due course, not so much based on this thread but moreover your MEVI thread. Do more research is all I can suggest?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:31 PM

By flamed he means that a lot of the .orgers aren't really too friendly if you ask a question they feel you can find the answer to on your own. Not to scare you or anything, but before you post any technical questions, just check the FAQ's/How to's first or try searching to find the answer. The same questions get posted over and over again and not everybody is very patient or polite with their response.

Anyway, the Maxima is a great choice. I got mine in October and its been amazing. I haven't got a ypipe yet, but plan on doing so cause everybody raves about them and the horsepower gain. There are many easy mods you can do to your exterior. I've done a couple to my lights so far. If you go to www.vqpower.com there are several detailed writeups with pictures on DIY projects.

Good choice with the 5-speed. I hear they're amazing. Seeing as I don't know how to drive one, I'm stuck with auto for now...

Good luck Maxima shopping!