4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Creaking center console components = chassis flex?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Who

Creaking center console components = chassis flex?

When I take sharp corners the plastic components in the center console creaks so I was wondering if it may be related to the chassis flexing? I think some of the felt cloth must have come out from between the components causing them to make more noise. Also I think it got worst after I lowered the car....maybe now that the springs aren't as flexible the chassis is taking more strain?
Anyone noticed if installing the strut tower bar reduces this noise?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my creakin/squeakin was never really that bad, but it did get somewhat better after i installed the FSTB. i saw another thread on here a while ago about Warpspeed's Sub-Frame Connector, IIRC it would help more than the FSTB in eliminating squeaks... but don't hold me to it.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Black Maxima

Add more felt tape. That will definatly solve the problem of the creaking. Pin point all your problem areas and add felt tape.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There's a TSB in the stickies that tells you how to take apart the different parts of the car that might be making squeeks, where to put felt tape, and how to get your car quiet again.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 AM

I dont know if you've checked the a-pillars or not, but those seem to be the problem on most cars. The problem is that the a piller piece rubs against the dash. Like others have suggested felt tape will fix that up.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Black Maxima

Originally Posted by Half_Lunatic
I dont know if you've checked the a-pillars or not, but those seem to be the problem on most cars. The problem is that the a piller piece rubs against the dash. Like others have suggested felt tape will fix that up.
YUP! I fixed the A-Pillars, every easy to fix them!

Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Who

A-Pillars are the ones on the side of the windscreen I assume? I was planning on using the felt tape but I was just looking for a way to confirm if the FSTB actually works. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Black Maxima

Get some felt tape, take off the A-Pillars and stick it on the part of the A-Pillar that hits the dash. It's kind of hard to get at it and the A-Pillar might not slide in as good, but it's worth it!

Old 06-15-2005, 08:45 AM

I find that it helps to remove the parts that are creaking, and apply felt tape between the contact surfaces of the moving parts.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bthe
I find that it helps to remove the parts that are creaking, and apply felt tape between the contact surfaces of the moving parts.
Do you bother reading posts in a thread?? Almost everybody that posted before you already said the same thing.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nismology
Originally Posted by bthe
Do you bother reading posts in a thread?? Almost everybody that posted before you already said the same thing.

He was tossing in repeated info to get to 15 posts. (just like I am)

but let me actually help a little bit.

http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/056820.pdf

the TSB that has the dismantle instructions for squeek-prone parts.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Black Maxima

I think I'm all good with the sqeak tape. All I need to fix is the top left corner of the center air vents. But then again, a lot of other parts make noise when my bass hits. I have no idea on how to fix the top left corner of the center air vents.