4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard starts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Hard starts...

The longer the car sits after it's prior drive, the harder it is to start. I've read somewhere that there is a sensor that reads a temperature (engine or outside maybe?) and tells the ECU so the ECU knows how much fuel to give. Anyone know anything about this?

I have to pump the gas quite a bit to get her to start.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Engine coolant temperature sensor.

Pumping the gas prior to a start up on a fuel injected engine does absolutely nothing.

You could also have a defective cold idle plunger. A Haynes shop manual will help you troubleshoot your car. It's a wise investment.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

njmaxseltd, as always great info .
Old 06-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold idle Plunger?

Please tell me what this does? I can't start theengine easilly at all - Is this under the throttle arm? on the left side of the TB looking from air filter?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hard Starts Also!

I have an interesting problem now:

Crank forever when cold with no codes. Runs very well once started. The problem first manifested with a complete inability to crank - no solenoid operation. Sounded like the relays were making up but no solenoid coil pickup. I put my hand down under the solenoid to feel for a loose connection and returned to the driver's seat and it started fine. Got home, removed the starter, checked it out, reinstalled the starter and then the continuous crank began. Eventually can start the engine with the acc. pedal depressed to the floor. No smelll of excess gas though - it doesn't seeem flooded. This is what i have checked so far:

Crankshaft position sensor (POS) rear flywheel - found it to be defective - replaced with a new one tested in the harness and it worked properly - and it had no effect but to give me two codes - air temp and knock - both of which could not prevent a start - may have done this during the replacement

Camshaft Position Sensor - checked wiring and ECU terminals for continuity - all sat - resistance in specs

Crankshaft position sensor - (REF) cheched wiring harness to ECM and resistance of unit - all Sat

IACV removed, cleaned, tested IACV - it moved in and out with the ignition switch as predicted - you can see the stepdown of the valve when the engine starts - fron 1200 to 100, to 800 as the engine warms.

So, as you can suspect, I am stumped - I think the problem is a malfunction in the simultaneous fuel injection mode and I can't figure out what triggers this response. However, one perplexing situation does exist - I need to figure out why, when I reached in and grabbed the wiring in the starter area did the engine then crank? Is there a wire broken somewhere?

By the way, I broke down and brought the car to the dealer today - after reading the codes (the two i mentioned before) they told me there is an electrical problem and $2500.00 plus a new wiring harness would solve the problem - hat ever happened to troubleshooting!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike
Old 06-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ects

Do you have an ohmmeter?

Mike
Old 06-16-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Originally Posted by Daily Interlude
The longer the car sits after it's prior drive, the harder it is to start. I've read somewhere that there is a sensor that reads a temperature (engine or outside maybe?) and tells the ECU so the ECU knows how much fuel to give. Anyone know anything about this?

I have to pump the gas quite a bit to get her to start.
you mean the accelerator pedal?. it controls air. not gas.
try to start it with clear flood mode. foot to the floor on the accelerator pedal, and turn the car on.

couple of things factor into the a/f ratio on start up
1)CTS
2)MAP
3)MAF
4)TPS

btw, whats your fuel pressures at? static and at idle.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe the ECTS sends a signal to the ECM to modulate the pulse duration of the injectors to adjust fuel amount to each cylinder.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Try spraying a bunch of carb cleaner into the intake manifold... If it starts up instantly, you know you have a fuel delivery problem as the carb cleaner acts as instant fuel.

I am dealing with the same thing you are... I have tried anything and everything. I noticed that it starts up like a dream when I spray carb cleaner into the manifold so I tested the fuel pressure and found out that in the on position, I have 0 psi where I should have 43 psi... this explians the hard starting.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cotangent
Crankshaft position sensor - (REF) cheched wiring harness to ECM and resistance of unit - all Sat
I had this go bad. The sensor checked out to be w/in spec but it only started after I swapped in a new one. I was getting a code for it...intermittently though.

I'll try to the throttle body cleaner trick though...