4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:09 PM

Car wont turn over

Hey just tried starting my car tonight and it won't turn over. Had to get goin so i only messed with it for 10 minutes but the battery is good, pretty sure all the fuses are good and i can hear the relays clicking when i turn the key. i can't figure out why it won't start just all of a sudden nothing. Anyone have any ideas shoot them my way. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM
KH3 by popular demand

It is possible for your battery to die overnight especially if it is old, hot weather kills them pretty quick too, if it has caps on it make sure there is water in it up to the fill line. Check voltage to it first, if it is less than 11 volts the car will not start, it will only click. If you disabled your factory alarm and don't use it at all, put your key in the driver side lock and unlock it manually. Mine does this from time to time if the driverside lock is not in the fully unlocked position (I have dynamat on my doors and it sometime get sticky in the heat).
Old 06-16-2005, 10:22 PM

well im pretty sure my battery is good because i was only over at my girlfriends house for like 3 hours and it was fine before that. I also had my stereo and lights on while i was trying to start it for the 10 minutes and they were fine and the lights weren't dimming. I also tried locking and unlocking my car and also taking it out of park and putting it back in park and nothing worked. The starter just won't engage for some reason. Do starters just go out with no warning like this?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmmmmm, sounds like it can be your alternator...should check that also.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:25 PM

i thought about it being my alternator but i think it's ruled out because the car should still start if the alternator was bad because the battery has enough juice. I'm hoping it's one of those relays or something cheap. I did try switching the 2 relays around by the fuse box but that didnt work either. I'm stumped
Old 06-16-2005, 10:42 PM

Are u sure ur just not out of gas, heh. I aint no expert but from the sound of things I think it may be your starter, or spark plugs or something... how long has it been since those were changed? You say your battery still has juice to run radio and lights without dim, so your battery and alternator should b fine. And if u got gas, u got air, u must be missing the spark to crank ur engine over.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try jumping the car, there is no harm in trying i bet your batt is just weak.
If that doesnt work then its ur starter contacts, you need to replace them or clean them.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my car wont start sometimes too

I have my car currently in the shop. It does not turn over at all sometimes. While a few tries later it starts perfectly. It is a standard, 1995 SE.

Mechanics are stumped. They think it may have something to do with anti-theft device.

I will update if they ever find the issue.

If you have advice for my mechanic, please let me know! thx.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:12 PM

what ani-theft device do you have?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:23 PM

What's happening is that you don't have enough juice to start the engine. Jump start your car if you need to move it. This will probably not solve all your problems though.

The problem could lay in any number of things. Bad battery, bad alternator, bad serpetine belt, bad tensioner, etc etc etc.

Once jump started, drive it around. If both the Battery light and Brake light are lit on your dash, you've got an Alternator problem or one of the components that make of that part of the system (ie. bad serpetine belt, bad tensioner).

If not, you've got a weak battery. You will need to get it recharged at a charging station soon.

GOod luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:14 PM

These problems are described as 'start' and 'crank'. Turn over is vague.

Is the car Cranking? Yes or no.

If yes, is the problem that it's cranking but not starting? Or not cranking altogether.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:49 PM

Do you guys have any check engine lights? A few months ago my car would crank and crank but not turn over. The batt was fresh, and everything seemed to be okay. My CEL finally turned on and it ended up being the camshaft position sensor. You might want to take that out and clean the gunk off of it, and also the crankshaft sensor as well. Either of these could cause the car not to turn over if they're not functioning properly.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:59 PM

sorrry for the vague post but i was tired writing this last night. My car won't crank. nothing happeens when i turn the key so its not my plugs or alternator. Narrowed it down to the starter or ignition switch gonna mess with it tomorow

Kevin S - i would check out the ignition switch if i were you.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:52 PM

well bought a starter at AutoZone tonight ($150) i think im going to throw it in and see if that works tomorow. Now i'm thinking it has more to do with the electrical going to the starter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does absolutely nothing. I guess we will find out tomorow.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:14 AM

let me know
what happens
my maxima died last saturnday
the same thing
i was coming home from work
i stopped for gas then nothing

thx
Old 06-18-2005, 04:22 AM

check and see if your exaust is pouring out in a black color it could mean valve seals are going on it
Old 06-18-2005, 07:02 AM

alot of times its not even starter related. It could be your crankshaft position sensors, engine coolant temperature sensor. It could be any of those or something completely different. Have you cleaned your IACV ? It could also be your MAF. Its to hard to tell. I would start by cleaning your IACV and replacing your engine coolant temperature sensor its only a 20$ part. But since your saying it wont even crank that is odd could be the ignition switch. I know a couple days ago i went to a friends house and as i was leaving my car wouldnt turn over for **** it just went click click click. Stangely enough i put my foot on the brake and it worked. I think it had to do with my anti theft on my alarm.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:52 AM

my car died last night tooo...on the way to work, i stopped to pump gas at the shell station and then it wouldn't start back up....the first few times i turned the key, it sounded like it was cranking but wouldn't start...then later it jus stopped cranking at all but made a clicking sound

i should be getting a starter shipped here today...so hopefully that'll solve it...

it's been about 3 weeks that i've noticed the car starting up really weak, so i decided to get a starter, but my car died b4 the starter made it here....i also just bought a new battery last week so i know it's not the battery
Old 06-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, mines is now fixed.

My problem ended up being the ingition switch! It was just too loose in the old one and wasn't making contact all the time. I don't know squat about cars, but it works now. Part was about $40 and labor about $60. Good luck on your. Kevin
----------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Kevin S
I have my car currently in the shop. It does not turn over at all sometimes. While a few tries later it starts perfectly. It is a standard, 1995 SE.

Mechanics are stumped. They think it may have something to do with anti-theft device.

I will update if they ever find the issue.

If you have advice for my mechanic, please let me know! thx.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:59 PM

probably ur alternator...
Old 06-18-2005, 03:31 PM

well i debated today whether or not it was my starter and finally ended up just putting the new one in. Haven't had the same problem again and for $150 bucks i hope it fixed it. If it acts up ill update you guys.

Oh man am i good, told ya to check the ignition switch Kevis S... haha
Old 06-18-2005, 04:37 PM

i need detailed instructions about how to check the ignition switch and clean all that shiit you guys are talking about that could be the issue
i'm having the same problem, my car usually starts relatively well but just today it does absolutely NOTHING. I guessed it to be my anti theft electrical bullshiit too. How annoying, when something electrical like that happens, what good does it do to have an antitheft if the **** is gonna just leave you stranded.
ANYWAY, my car does not crank, all electrical things turn on, but something strange did happen. My cell phone charger wouldnt charge in the cig lighter, but the radar dector would work fine in it.
anyway, i need help now, my car is stranded at work and i'm here at home and i want it now. auto parts stores might be closing soon so i need something quick,.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Hehe, told ya its the starter
Why did you buy a whole new one thou? you could have bought the contacts for like 30$ and replaced only thouse.
Originally Posted by fishpony
well i debated today whether or not it was my starter and finally ended up just putting the new one in. Haven't had the same problem again and for $150 bucks i hope it fixed it. If it acts up ill update you guys.

Oh man am i good, told ya to check the ignition switch Kevis S... haha
Old 06-18-2005, 04:45 PM

where is the starter?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
where is the starter?
Here is a pic from a manual: I hope you can figure out where that is
Thats right under the air intake, drivers side right above the transmission.

Its 1.98mgs
ftp://madden.homeip.net/starter.jpg
Old 06-18-2005, 05:14 PM

i appreciate it, im gonig to my car to try some options out.
like putting it in neutral and starting it.
i hope it works.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:46 PM

anyone have any tricks or tips for getting to those two bolts??

i removed battery, intake, pretty much everything i can from around that area..but still have a hard time getting a socket wrench in there
Old 06-18-2005, 05:48 PM

Looks pritty easy to get to, you do need an extention on your wrench to get under the tubes
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
anyone have any tricks or tips for getting to those two bolts??

i removed battery, intake, pretty much everything i can from around that area..but still have a hard time getting a socket wrench in there
Old 06-18-2005, 05:50 PM

okay it was the neutral safety switch. all is good now.
time to go black out my corner lights
Old 06-18-2005, 05:53 PM

awesome glad it helped.
Originally Posted by chillin014
okay it was the neutral safety switch. all is good now.
time to go black out my corner lights
Old 06-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

glad everyone is up and running, just a note to also check the distributor cap, once mine had a slight crack and would not hold a spark, which caused the same problem. Keep'em rollin!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 07:48 PM

distributor cap huh... i dont have one. neither should you
Old 06-20-2005, 02:51 AM

Prolly a 3d genner, or someone who bought a distributer on ebay an glued it into the engine.
Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
distributor cap huh... i dont have one. neither should you
Old 06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Even though you guys kinda ended this discussion, I noticed that my car won't turn over when the passenger cabin is hot. The guys I work with thought I was crazy, but one of them saw it today when he was walking by my car. Every nice day I have to sit and open my windows and let the inside of the car cool off before it will start. Obviously the electric parts of it go on or I wouldn't be able to open the windows. I lost the remote for my alarm, so I was assuming that had nothing to do with it. Maybe I will just have one of my friends take a look at the parts you guys have played with and replaced when it happened to you. My car does always start though, hopefully my car won't get stranded at work like some of the other guys'.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you guys please distinguish cranking & starting, that wud help trouble shhoting a lot , cranking means the starter is engaged to fw & is spinning, ya know , making that cranking noise right before you let off of key . starting means the car is running , the cranking has stopped at this point