4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Type- S maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Type- S maxima

Sup everyone,

Im about to buy a 96 5sp and am looking at buying a stillen supercharger kit for it, i was wondering what in the motor needs to be replaced, i know the rods and heads and bottom end but im not excally sure what in the maxima can and cant take the pressure, any help with this project (looking at a year total with all i want to do to it) would be greatly appreciated.

Rev Hard
Old 06-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the maxima stock internals are very strong, there a few people who are running over 400 whp on a stock maxima with stock internals, so you dont need to worry about changing anything, if your going to go with the supercharger you should get 370cc Z32 TT injectors, high flow fuel pump such as a walbro 255lph, and an air/fuel controller.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by maximazation
the maxima stock internals are very strong, there a few people who are running over 400 whp on a stock maxima with stock internals, so you dont need to worry about changing anything, if your going to go with the supercharger you should get 370cc Z32 TT injectors, high flow fuel pump such as a walbro 255lph, and an air/fuel controller.
are those better than the 550cc 300zx injectors?

-Dexter
Old 06-24-2005, 04:55 PM

what do you mean as in better? high flowing? no, the 555cc will outflow the 370s by 185cc more, its obvious...bigger injectors mean higher flow.

you probably wont need 555cc, our engines can do fine under boost with 370s, good for about 350+ hp, also you will need a bigger MAF sensor because the stock ones max out at around 300 hp, so the Z32 TT MAF sensor is a good upgrade
Old 06-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Go to the boosted forums and read the stickies if you haven't already:

http://www.forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53

There's a lot of info there. Some of it might scare you away from the supercharger or the turbo. If you are a pretty experienced amateur mechanic and willing to spend a lot of time tweaking, then go for it. Just know that you will likely have a lot of downtime on your car because problems can, and will, pop up.

Supercharged people that I've talked to often have a "love-hate" relationship with their turbo/supercharger setup (their words, not mine). They love the power, but hate that something will always go wrong given a little time. Some things small (hoses pop off or get loose) others big (blown head-gasket).

I wish you luck. A turbo/super-charged maxima is an awesome thing. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. And what it will cost you between parts and repairs when things go wrong.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:33 PM

yea seriously, you just cant buy a kit and have a shop or yourself put it on and forget about it because, problems will happen along the way or after your boost for like a month. problem normally roll in right around there if not before you get the car running.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by J_Nuggz
Sup everyone,

Im about to buy a 96 5sp and am looking at buying a stillen supercharger kit for it, i was wondering what in the motor needs to be replaced, i know the rods and heads and bottom end but im not excally sure what in the maxima can and cant take the pressure, any help with this project (looking at a year total with all i want to do to it) would be greatly appreciated.

Rev Hard
There was a post in here a few days ago with a link to a turboed Skyline/G35 pushin out 800 hp and they used the rods and pistons from a maxima. This just proves even more that our bottom ends are VERY stong because the company that built that car had enough money to choose from any of the rods and pistons out there and they chose the ones from the VQ30 above all the rest.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Zero9890
There was a post in here a few days ago with a link to a turboed Skyline/G35 pushin out 800 hp and they used the rods and pistons from a maxima. This just proves even more that our bottom ends are VERY stong because the company that built that car had enough money to choose from any of the rods and pistons out there and they chose the ones from the VQ30 above all the rest.
you make a very good point, i wonder how much power the maxima engine can hold on a stock bottom end before it blows. Hal pushed close to 500 hp in his maxima and still didnt blow it up. Mardi is pushing 16.5 psi of boost with nitrous on his maxima and still didnt blow it up, both very fast turbocharged maximas.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:17 AM

Yeah i know what im getting into, my father and i built track z (180s and 200s all the way to the 300zx twin t but we stoped there) I havent had the money to get the 300 that i want but a maxima is the best alternate, unilke the 240 sx our strong sixes are reduced to the crawl along in high gears. Ive also tooled with the idea of big whole swaps, converting to rwd with the new axels and everything.

So would you suggest possiblally boring out the motor and putting slightly bigger injectors ? I was new heads, rods and cams so i know they can take it.

Can someone post anything to do with that skyline and possibally anything to do with mass produced duel pipes for our maxies

Rev HArd
Old 06-25-2005, 07:27 AM

I havent had the money to get the 300 that i want but a maxima is the best alternate
Twin Turbo 300 ZX's from the early ninety's look great and won't set you back too much cash. Definitely more than a maxima up front, but the fact that it is already set-up for boost has gotta save some cash, right? To get a TT 300ZX up to 350 HP (stage III turbo) will cost you 1/2 what it will cost you to do that with a maxima. In the end, the 300ZX will have cost more, but not dramatically more when you consider the cost of outfitting the maxima.

Correct me if I am wrong (I've only breifly looked into the 300's). I love the max, but 300ZX is a hotter car if you can live with only 2 seats.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:56 PM

Accually theres a 2+2 version, which was very simmilar to interior of teh 2000+ celica.

I waswondering also, anyone know of agood place to sell a body for a celica, i have 5 peices total (2 fronts)

Rev Hard