4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

freinds startin problem on max wrf is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 10:50 PM

freinds startin problem on max wrf is this?

my friend has a max that just wont turn over at all it trys to but dosent we tryed to jump start it and didnt work we bought a new battery and still no turn over it turns over only when i pop the hood and manuely give it gas by movin the accelerator up and somtimes that dosent even work now the check engin light is on but i odnt have the code... any one have a clue what it is....it trys to turn over but it just wont go and then the idle jumps up and down and just dosent look good what can this be please help me from the stress and him from the confusion thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Check engine light is on, but no codes.. try again, you must be doing something wrong. Check your plugs/coils, fuses, starter etc..
Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 AM

Agree with crack, check the plugs, usually a problem with older cars, like ours. A battery is usually the problem, with straight up starting power, but you took care of that. Has his car had the alternator recall done on it? Also a common problem with maximas. If not that, clean the air intake, replace the fuel filter and air filter. All basic. Check your belts around the alternator and engine, if extremely worn that could be the problem, with older cars again that weren't cared for before. If it's an electric problem some random lights would turn on in the dashboard, if it actually starts anyway.

Probably a fuel pump problem though which is a b****. When a car doesn't start that's the first major thing I would look at after doing everything else.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by iLuvUrmom
Check your belts around the alternator and engine, if extremely worn that could be the problem, with older cars again that weren't cared for before.
explain to me how bad belts with a new battery could cause starting problems?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 AM

If the serpentine belt is bad, then you can't start, your car will over heat if it does start, blah blah. The computer might figure that for all I know, and not start, look down near your oil filter for the belts, and see how they look, or the tension is bad, which is very rare. And you bought a new battery, so the alternator belt wouldn't really matter, unless the battery dies after a couple days, then it's obvious.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:14 AM

so i am guessin a fule filter but would that make a check engine light go on ?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no, a clogged fuel filter would not give a CEL. But please, do us a favor and pull the ECU codes. Could be a dozen things. Check the starter, could be it.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by iLuvUrmom
If the serpentine belt is bad, then you can't start
How so? Never knew that the serpentine belt was essential to car startup
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 PM

It's not. The car will run for a short time before it dies from lack of power or overheating.

Check to make sure that the MAF and TPS are plugged in. It sounds like a similar problem I had on a different car. The MAF was unplugged so the computer was not getting a reading at idle and stalling out. By moving the throttle plate, the computer ran back to it's default programming and guessed how much air was probably monig through. It gave it a really bad "idle", and would stall the car almost every time I got it to start.

To check if it's a fuel pump problem, on most cars you can turn the key to the "on " position and hear the pump cycle for a second or two.

Basically the problem "can " be anything. Check the smaller stuff first, plugs, connections etc to rule them out.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
It's not. The car will run for a short time before it dies from lack of power or overheating.
Then why tell him to check his belts when he has a starting problem, not a cooling problem??
Old 07-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Um...I didn't tell him to check his belts.

Read what I wrote again...see didn't tell him to check his belts.

Someone else told him to because they don't understand what the belts do apparently.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:15 PM

coulda swore it said that it was posted by the same person my bad
Old 07-04-2005, 12:01 AM

It's okay.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had a similar problem, I checked everything including the fuel pump and all the sensors. My advice go from less to more complicated. I had a filter clog. Absolute clog. So first thing. Get the filter out and try to blow air through it either ways, with your mouth or anything else. If it blows through effortlessly - which is how it should be, then check your sensors and everything and check for the fuel pump and more complicated thing. I would say start with fuel filter.

Mine also did the same thing - worked fine when I pulled the gas pedal while starting. It was a dead fuel filter.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 AM

How do you guys know the CEL is on if the car doesn't start? The CEL stays on during ACC.. O_O
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 PM

Hmmm maybe it's not the belt then, but usually the computer figures that out after it starts. SO check the throttle body, take off the air intake hoses, and tubes, and look in, it could be very clogged, semi-oily stuff sometimes gets in there and clogs the butterfly valve, if it's not all clean and shiny then clean it out with a rag or toothbrush. Also, check the fuel pump/filter like the rest say, mas importante.

If their car doesn't start after you've done what everyone said i would check the spark plugs or coil packs, the packs are expensive so cross your fingers.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:28 PM

Check CPS sensors.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by s0ber
How do you guys know the CEL is on if the car doesn't start? The CEL stays on during ACC.. O_O

Turn it to the on position. The CEL will turn off if there is no code.

Any progress with the car yet?