4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Under dash neons

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:38 PM

Under dash neons

I'm planning on buying neons to put under the dash on ebay. Should I get the 12" ones or something bigger/smaller? Can somebody explain to me how I should wire this to a switch.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 12:12 AM

.... to be honest, I don't think Neons would look all that great, but then I've never seen a maxima interior with neons, so when u do get it post some pics, u might prove me wrong... haha, but I think u should get da smaller ones if u truely wish to get them,
Old 07-06-2005, 02:19 AM

i have blue in mine, 2 12 inches

i have blue in mine, 2 12 inches
Old 07-06-2005, 02:44 AM

I have 12's in the front and put 2 more in the back. They look great especially if you have diamond plate floor mats for them to shine off of. I will try to post a pic or two soon.

I wired mines through the battery (+ terminal) with a switch that I put underneath the fuse area so that I can turn off & on without having them run all the time. You could also tap into any other source like a relay or your starter/acc wire underneath the steering column. Definitely recommend soldering a line to an on/off switch so that cops won't bother you if you get stopped.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You should get the 0" ones and spend that $$ on some real performance parts...
Old 07-06-2005, 05:39 AM

As with anything, do what you want and not what others want you to do to your car. If you still want to do this mod then I would recommend that you use CCFL instead of neon since they are cheaper and brighter than neon. I am using 4 6" CCFLs for floor board lighting where I have placed 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I have included some old pics of my setup to illustrate. For the power source, you can tap into the blue wire on your dimmer switch. The ground goes to any metal bolt on your car. I used the one under the steering wheel. I also recommended that you wire the power through a switch so that you can control when you want the lights to be turned on/off. Again, I have included an old pic of my setup to illustrate. Good luck and have fun modding.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:54 AM

I'm about to do the same mod but with white leds instead of the blue color.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 AM

That would not be necessary unless you want to star your car in the fast and the furious 3.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 AM
V^___^V

i have 15" blue neon tubes under both passenger and driver's side.

i wired it both to my ashtray lighter power source (not cig lighter), so when i turn on my headlight at night, the neon turns on as well. so basically my headlight switch is my power switch for my neons.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM
The original VQ...

I would honestly spend the money on something else.

Im not gona hate caue when i was 16 and just got my max, i had a set of neons under myseats, but the fast and furious days are over..

You should buy a y-pipe or save for something usefull.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM

How do I wire it up to the battery...where do I run the wires through I have never done this before.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 PM

as far as i read, he isnt asking if you guys approve, from what it looks like he is just asking where to tap power from.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 PM

as far as i read neons are for
Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM

im not a big fan of neons, and dont know how well they would look...its hard to tell from pics for stuff like that
Old 07-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
as far as i read neons are for
are far as i read ur a gay
Old 07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

wtf is up with you ppl, all he wants to know is how to wire it, theres no reason for flaming him and his neons. If i knew, i would help you.....
Old 07-06-2005, 04:56 PM

I wired mine direct into the cigarette lighter wires. I dont remember the colors of the wires buts it not that hard. I figured its the best place to do it...they shut off when the car is off. If you have questions PM me and Ill help you the best I can.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by InsneDrmr
I wired mine direct into the cigarette lighter wires. I dont remember the colors of the wires buts it not that hard. I figured its the best place to do it...they shut off when the car is off. If you have questions PM me and Ill help you the best I can.
thats the spirit !!
Old 07-06-2005, 07:34 PM

to do this safely, you will need a 15 amp fuse. or even a 10 amp will do. that will be for the positive wire to the switch. whenever you are adding existing wires for neones, systems or what not, you need a fuse. they are very safe and is NEEDED because you certainly don't want your car to be on fire. I have TONS of neons in my house, but aren't put on. Main reason, i'm too lazy to drill a hole in the firewall for all the wires right now. Anyways, if you can run it to the battery or cigarette lighter. But remember that you will not be able to turn your neons on if you tap it into your cigarette lighter iunless your keys are turned to the ACC position since most imports do not have power accessible to them without the key turned to that position. here's a quick write up.

most neons have the wire that plug into the cigarette lighter. cut the end off. The wire with the gray line is the negative wire. The other one is the positive wire. If you're not so sure which one is which, cut it, and put it straight to the battery. NO IT WONT BLOW IF YOU PUT THE NEGATIVE TO THE POSITIVE N POSITIVE TO THE NEGATIVE. Obviously the one that makes the neon light up is the ones that are correct. You will need a switch to turn the neons on and off. You will most likely need crimping tools and adapters for this. When you are buying the switch, ask them for the adapters that plugs right into the switch by crimping it to the wire. There are usually 3 spots for the switch. One of them goes to the battery, one goes to the neon that needs to be powered, and the last one goes to the ground wire. now ground the neon also and your done. be careful that it doesn't fall down while driving. The last thing you want is for it to get in your way of driving such as not allowing you to push the brakes. anyhow, its only neons, worse comes to worse, step on it harder and it will break.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
is craving Bojangles

if you havent bought these yet i agree with meanbean and suggest you go with cold cathodes instead. as he stated they are cheaper and give a better glow; better in almost every aspect.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned

i think i have an extra pair of 12" blue cold cathodes from my computer. I am thinking of doing this also. Can i use the computer cold cathodes ? All i would have to do is splice the wires, correct ?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:08 PM

yeah..its not hard...splice wiring with an inline fuse of about 15 amps..to a switch...then ground..and you're good to go.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Banned

ok now to post #6 and #22 after i find out which wire is negative and positive, which one do i connect to the blue wire? as MEANBEAN had wrote. Does it matter if the fuse is on the positive or negative wire ? What kind of switch am i looking to buy, what kind is that, that MEANBEAN has in his pic on post #6 ? Shouldn't there be a complete circuit for the cold cathode to turn on/ run ?
Here is a picture i made of what i understand so far...
Someone plz enlighten this newb <--------
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 PM

sweet **** dude
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SuperWario
sweet **** dude
16 posts of absolutely no contribution whatsoever ....

Old 07-07-2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by goldtooth
ok now to post #6 and #22 after i find out which wire is negative and positive, which one do i connect to the blue wire? as MEANBEAN had wrote. Does it matter if the fuse is on the positive or negative wire ? What kind of switch am i looking to buy, what kind is that, that MEANBEAN has in his pic on post #6 ? Shouldn't there be a complete circuit for the cold cathode to turn on/ run ?
*pic*
dude, best. pic. evar.

Okay tho, I personally have this done up so one end of the neon's wire (pos end) hooks upto the stereo acc power wire (line that is only hot when car is on). This line is already fused so you won't have to worry about your car setting ablaze. On this wire I have a switch before it gets to the neon, as to turn them on/off. The other end just ground out somewhere.

So, in conclusion:

Stereo ACC powerline----------switch----------neons----------ground.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Banned

excellent, i think im getting somewhere.... but now i have another question.
When i have 2 or 4 cold cathodes, how do i link them all ?
oh btw, thanks for the feedback on my masterpiece Crockpot....lol
Old 07-07-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by goldtooth
LOL, funny diagram. If you go the CCFL route, it will come with a power inverter. Some power inverters can handle 2 CCFLs. Since the CCFL's power inverter will be designed for PC use, it will have a molex connector on the end. This is the side that will connect to your power source. Just cut off the molex connecter and solder/crimp the red or yellow wire from the power inverter to the blue wire on the dimmer switch. The black wire from the power inverter will then connect to the metal bolt or you can tap into the black wire on the dimmer switch. With this method, the CCFL will turn on when you turn on your running lights. If you want more control then you can install the switch. The ones I have were purchased from www.digikey.com. The part number is EG1858-ND and each switch costs $2.96. If you will be using this switch and will be connecting the red led, make sure you solder on a resistor since the switch does not have a built-in resistor for the led. Not doing this will cause the led to burn out. Also, connecting the red led is not needed for the switch to work. With a switch in place, the red or yellow wire from the power inverter will go to the power switch. Then solder/crimp a wire from the blue wire of the dimmer switch to your power switch. With this method, once the running lights are on you can then manually turn on power for the CCFLs. The dimmer switch is already fuse protected so installing an additional inline fuse is not needed. If you will be going with direct power from the battery instead of the dimmer switch then inline fuses are recommened. Happy modding to you.