4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

quick question y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

quick question y-pipe

I'm about to buy a used cattman y-pipe off a '97. Is it a direct fit on a '96?

I know that '99s are different but not sure about this.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:55 PM

goto http://www.cattman.com/
click Exhaust in the left pan menu.
there is a
YG4
1995-1998 Maxima/I30; All

and a
YG5
1999-2001 Maxima/I30; Federal emissions specification ONLY.

also annother one but for ca resedents...
YG5/CA
1999-2001 Maxima/I30; CA/NLEV or “50-state” emissions specification ONLY.

SO if its a YG4 which can fit onto a '97 maxima, then it should fit on a '96 because it says 1995 to 1998

ENJOY>
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 AM

man thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 AM
sunten1

I have heard that Cattman Y pipes Rust quickly....

Old 07-09-2005, 09:41 AM

who's y-pipe has ever rusted?

someone please tell me..I hear this alot, but I see no proof.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:48 AM

What brand Y-Pipe is the one that Custome Enterprise sells?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 4thgenx42
What brand Y-Pipe is the one that Custome Enterprise sells?
Their own
Old 07-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Y Pipe= Flex Pipe?!?!

I just bought a 95 max se and i need a new flex pipe.....and im not exactly sure what it is? and where it is....i keep seeing y pipe things, and am wondering if its the same thing...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 PM

The flex pipe is part of the y-pipe. If you want to replace the flex pipe with a new OEM y-pipe, be prepared to spend a fortune. You're better off getting an aftermarket y-pipe and based on my experience, I recommend a stainless steel Budget y-pipe. Don't buy an aluminized Warpspeed y-pipe if you live in Pittsburgh or it will rust away in a few years.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:27 PM

so..

so if i buy a aftermarket Y pipe it will fix the problem of my bad flex pipe?!
Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 9maxse5
so if i buy a aftermarket Y pipe it will fix the problem of my bad flex pipe?!
yes and you will get a nice power gain.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:47 PM

y pipe questions

what are prices and brands of y pipes along with places to find them....i need help from you guys that know about them... and what are the hp/tq gains...
Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Read the stickies. Budgets website is lssexhaust.com. They are located in Burlington, Ontario. Cost of a stainless steel y-pipe is Cdn$250 (a little less than US$200 at current exchange rates), plus Cdn$15 shipping. Their e-mail address is mufflers@allstream.net. Phone 1-800-256-4482. I believe the aluminized Warpspeed y-pipe is US$160 if you mention you are a member of Maxima.org. Again, I would buy stainless steel given where you live.

To see the dyno benefits, go to www.motorvate.ca and check out the y-pipe thread.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:49 AM

Thanks

Thank you very much, do you kno if they ship to US? and i appreciate your time very much...
Old 07-10-2005, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by sunten1
I have heard that Cattman Y pipes Rust quickly....
I also heard that pigs can fly...
Old 07-10-2005, 05:37 AM

emissons?

Will a Budget Y Pipe pass emissons in PA?!?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:24 AM

Budget ships to the US all the time and the Budget y-pipe will pass emissions. Be aware that two pre-cats are removed, which control emissions at start-up. So ensure your car is fully warmed up before running it through emissions. Take it for a run on the highway first and don't turn the engine off if you are waiting in line.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Don't buy an aluminized Warpspeed y-pipe if you live in Pittsburgh or it will rust away in a few years.
sorry to jump on you again rmurdoch but on the rusting out issue.

How do you know the aluminized Warpspeed pipe will rust? What evidence do you have?

Who's pipe has ever rusted out?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:02 AM

Read the stickies. Budgets website is lssexhaust.com. They are located in Burlington, Ontario. Cost of a stainless steel y-pipe is Cdn$250 (a little less than US$200 at current exchange rates), plus Cdn$15 shipping. Their e-mail address is mufflers@allstream.net. Phone 1-800-256-4482. I believe the aluminized Warpspeed y-pipe is US$160 if you mention you are a member of Maxima.org. Again, I would buy stainless steel given where you live.

To see the dyno benefits, go to www.motorvate.ca and check out the y-pipe thread.
hey, ive heard people are getting duds from budget lately, you know naything about that?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:32 AM

There has been one or two recent incidents with Budget but I understand that they have just finished a new batch of y-pipes and some complaints have been registered with them. The stainless steel y-pipe I got 13 months ago was flawless and I had no fitment problems or no bees in the can. I would say go for it!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by sonicrunch
sorry to jump on you again rmurdoch but on the rusting out issue.

How do you know the aluminized Warpspeed pipe will rust? What evidence do you have?

Who's pipe has ever rusted out?
I am not about to do a search and could care less about an aluminized Warpspeed y-pipe as I have a stainless steel Budget y-pipe and don't live in the rust belt.

I have read a number of times on the .org about rusting problems with Warspeed y-pipes. If you live in Minnesota and would prefer to buy a Warspeed aluminumized y-pipe for the sake of saving less than US$40 at current exchange rates, I would say go for it. But its like the old Fram commercial on TV (what a joke now with the crap they produce), you can pay me now or pay me later.

If mufflers and catalytic convertors, which are aluminized, rust out - prey tell, why would you think that an aluminized y-pipe wouldn't rust out over time?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:41 AM

There has been one or two recent incidents with Budget but I understand that they have just finished a new batch of y-pipes and some complaints have been registered with them. The stainless steel y-pipe I got 13 months ago was flawless and I had no fitment problems or no bees in the can. I would say go for it!
well i am gonna go for it, but i wonder if i have problems with it will they refund me or give me a new one.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 AM

I recently got a budget SS y. Looks good. Havent had time to install it yet so idk how it sounds but from the looks of it i dont see any problems.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 AM

They got Ptatohed a new one about a month ago. When you order it tell them you are a Maxima.org member, have heard of recent problems, and want them to thoroughly inspect the y-pipe for defects and workmanship before they ship it. I suspect you will receive a flawless y-pipe.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:32 AM

If mufflers and catalytic convertors, which are aluminized, rust out - prey tell, why would you think that an aluminized y-pipe wouldn't rust out over time?
Again, you do not know what you are talking about.
1. Catalytic converters do not rust out. They get very hot due to the engine's unburnt fuel burning inside. This heat keeps them dry inside, even on a short trip. (In case you don't know [and I'm sure you don't] the purpose of the cat is to finish burning what the engine didn't burn)
2. Mufflers are at or near the tail end of the exaust which does not get very hot on a short trip. Thus, water, or water vapor (a by-product of the combustion) collects in the muffler. I think you can figure out the rusting of the muffler from there. In fact, many stock mufflers have drains in them, so the water will drain out and the muffler will last longer.

The y-pipe gets very hot as well. Due to it's proximity to the engine. I've been around a while, and I have never, never heard of a y-pipe rusting.

So, as you can see, rusting of the exaust on a vehicle is largey the result of internal water condensation and such, and not outside water/snow/ salt.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:53 AM

"So, as you can see, rusting of the exaust on a vehicle is largey the result of internal water condensation and such, and not outside water/snow/ salt".

Granted the majority of the rust problem may be a result of internal water condensation, but salt/dirt/snow etc. would also be a factor. Enjoy your Warpspeed product - you must own one. Does your car have any rust on it?
I had mine rustproofed prior to delivery and I don't have a speck of rust anywhere on my car given I live in a climate where the winters are mild.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 PM

"Does your car have any rust on it?"

No, no rust here. It's a 98. And our winters can be nasty with a lot of salt. Cars these days are a helluva lot more rust resistant than they used to be. I thank my lucky stars for that.

Honestly though, if somebody's pipe has rusted, I would like to know.
But y-pipes just don't rust out. They get too hot.

Typically, the part of the exaust that rusts is from the cat to the rear.
I worked in auto parts for 4.5 years, and that is what I have seen, over and over again.

However, I wound 100% agree that cat-back stainless would be a wise investment. 100%
Old 07-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Well I remember reading a few days ago about someone b!tching about their Warpspeed y-pipe rusting out. As I said I'm not about to search, but why don't you scroll back for say a week and peruse the y-pipe threads as there have been a few of them as per usual.

I am now debating whether or not to buy the Budget stainless steel B-pipe. They are slightly more expensive (Cdn$10) than the y-pipe and don't provide anywhere near the bang for the buck, but 5whp is 5whp I guess and that's about what they would give.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:51 PM

i guess I better donate so I can do a thorough search

Using google I did not find the incident you mentioned.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 PM

I see you have been on this mission for some time, sonicrunch, and must either work for Warpspeed or have selective memory or both. In the thread entitled "I got bees with Budget WTH", Kevlo 911, a knowledgeable .orger, responded to you in post 48 and stated that Krismax has a rusting problem with a Warpspeed y-pipe. Did you PM Krismax and ask him about this problem? Let us all know what he had to say!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 PM

this is going back to like the 8th post. But do all y-pipes come what the flex pipe part as well? I know they are two diffrent parts normally and they connect to each other but i wanted to know if they come already connected if i buy a budget Y
Old 07-10-2005, 01:52 PM

thank

Hey guys thanks for all your help, i'm ordering my SS budget y pipe 2nite....then getting a full exhaust from there back....but thanks for the quick responses
Old 07-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
this is going back to like the 8th post. But do all y-pipes come what the flex pipe part as well? I know they are two diffrent parts normally and they connect to each other but i wanted to know if they come already connected if i buy a budget Y
The Budget stainless steel y-pipe is all one piece. Mine was a thing of beauty when I took it out of the box. It's also about 15 lbs. lighter than the OEM y-pipe as 2 pre-cats disappear.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
All y pipes comes with the flex pipe since, IIRC, the car allows for the motor to move around the engine compartment which warrants the flex on the y pipe.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Also, regarding the duds from Budget. I am one who posted such a thread.

Budget as ive seen almost always has quality parts. And i have to admit, mine looked pretty nice, except for the welds which werent exactly the best. Aside from that, the finish was good and fitment was great right where it bolted up. One thing about the Budget pipe is that the pipe doesnt have as big as a bend as the stock right after the flex and where it connects to the b pipe. Therefore, your hanger might not sit right and might even bang on part of the underpanel. This was pretty minor for me as I just took off the hanger completely.
My budget has a slight ringing noise at WOT at 3-4k but another org member told me that he had the same problem, but it went away after a couple of weeks.
Dont let me scare you off though, the gains are excellent adn the metallic ringing "bees" noise is tolerable...you can barely hear it when you have the radio on and when youre cruising, its not there. Hopefully it does go away completely after several weeks though.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what kind of pull are you guys getting with your defective y-pipes?
Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bsball211
what kind of pull are you guys getting with your defective y-pipes?
I dont think its defective really. It still pulls Excellent like I said. Theres jsut that slight bees noise when I open up the throttle halfway to WOT and only occurs at 3-4500k on the rpm band.

The gains are great..rolling, I can chirp the tires easily when I floor the gas, which I couldnt before after I got my current tires (wider)

...having a 5speed also helps at that :teehee:
Old 07-10-2005, 03:27 PM

I see you have been on this mission for some time, sonicrunch, and must either work for Warpspeed or have selective memory or both. In the thread entitled "I got bees with Budget WTH", Kevlo 911, a knowledgeable .orger, responded to you in post 48 and stated that Krismax has a rusting problem with a Warpspeed y-pipe. Did you PM Krismax and ask him about this problem? Let us all know what he had to say!

Your right!
I didn't think anybody was going to respond at all.
I will PM Krismax and see what he has to say.
I will get to it. I haven't been sitting on the computer all day.
But I will let you know, and give an apology if one is due.

I admit I shuld hve scanned my previous posts looking to see if someone responded to my questions in several posts.

BTW, I do remember reading somewhere about the flange rusting.
Is you budget flange SS?

Right now I'm going back ouside to sit in the kidde pool with my lady and have another beer...It flippin' 92° in Minneapolis today...
Old 07-10-2005, 03:44 PM

I believe the Budget flange is SS as the y-pipe is made out of T304 SS if memory serves me correctly. I have no pictures of it. I am rather **** about my Maxima and its seldom seen salt on the roads. Although we have mild winters in Vancouver, the bridge decks and hills are salted on occasion between November and about March.

I live in a suburb of Vancouver about 6 miles from the main airport terminal and its as flat as a pancake here. I have a daily driver for foul weather and commuting purposes, consequently my 95SE, 5-speed, has just turned 59K of mostly highway driving and I'll probably still have it in 15 years if I live that long, lol! Its worth more to me than anyone else.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:55 PM

I'm gonna check out a used cattman y-pipe soon. is there some kind of logo etched on it that says cattman? In other words how can i make sure it is a genuine cattman and not something else?

Keep in mind this one is a couple years old maybe theyre different from the new ones.

Quick Reply: quick question y-pipe