4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch feel different day-to-day - smooth and quit vs. rough and squeaky

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:52 PM

Clutch feel different day-to-day - smooth and quiet vs. rough and squeaky

Ok..this has been driving me nuts, would like to hear what you guys think about this

My Max's (97SE, 5spd VLSD, 190K km) cluth/shifting feel pretty different from one day to the next. Some days it's all really smooth and quiet, I can shift no problem without jerking or anything.

Other days it seems to me that clutch engagement is very rough, I have to try REALLY hard to make it smooth, also the pedal makes a squeaking sound when pressed/released. It still shifts fine, although it's possible (not sure) that 1->2 shift takes a bit more effort as compared to the "smooth" days. No grinding gears or anything like that, of course Higher shifts are the same, pretty much.

I haven't really observed this closely (the car still drives fine on average, fuel economy is very good), but I have a feeling it's smooth when it's colder outside. But, don't read into this part too much, Im not sure. Just decided to throw it in in case it fits into a general pattern.

Thoughts / suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:24 PM
vqmax

well, im not the best person to diagnose anything but the squeaking might be the pivot point where the throw out bearing is located, might not have any grease on it anymore.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the idea...is this pivot joint externally accessible? (i.e can be lubricated without removing transmission)
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As far as the clutch feeling inconsistant, i go through the same thing. Only every other 15 minutes. I just had the hydraulic system bled out to get rid of the air bubbles and that seemed to help. The next thing i'm going to try is a new Shifter bushing.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=416036

Email them for ordering information. There about $45 and it replaces your worn stock bushing.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the braided line (in the GD section), a new slave helped mine out ALOT, the slaves are horrible on maximas, and are fairly cheap. Bleeding the system is always a good thing to do also. I have a slight squeek also I need to figure out.