4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Seriously considering racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:29 AM

something i didnt see mentioned is that at most legit tracks you have to be 18 to "race" at a test and tune night..UNLESS you have a parent there to sign a consent waiver. i'd call the track ahead of time to make sure this is or isnt the case..some tracks really could care less. some are STRICT (RT66 in joliet was a few years ago and wouldnt let my brother drive his maxima there, so i had to do it for him)

also, keep in mind its not racing, its just practice. you are testing and tuning your car and yourself. drag racing can be cheap and fun, expensive and daunting ,and everything in between, so just go and have a good time. get a few buddies out there, and learn something. people racing and a track gets a thumbs up from me.

hey, my first post! haha
Old 07-12-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
why do you say this? i think that was way out of line, even if it was just in good fun. age shouldn't have anything to do with it. there are 18 year olds on here that act more mature than some 20 year olds. and if he really wants to work on the car and improve it's performance, let him. you gotta start somewhere, and the younger, the better, asuming the maturity is there also.

Theres nothing wrong with anyone wanting to race. At least he's smart enough to know that the Interstate is not the place to test that 100-shot of NOS he just got....seriously, I'd love to race too, but the only way the Maxima on a student's budget is gonna be a drag racing star is * maybe *bracket racing. Because its a front-wheel drive , 4-door midsize sedan, its not made for the track. That y-pipe and Nos kit is good enough until you run into an e36 M3 with $25,000 in mods and a Dinan ecu. Its a good thing to want to race in a responsible manner, but youre probably gonna hafta do what I'm doing....since my Max is an auto, i'm a hafta wait until after college , get that used Corvette or '05 GTO, then its game over.

Nothing wrong with modding your car, just don't be like the ricer thinking his Civic Lx is gonna take out a Z06 with just a Nos kt and a Folgers exhaust kit.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 AM

I was in your same position my maxima was my first car and i am 18 now. I personally wouldnt put way too much money into a Max, make it look nice make it drive nice but on a student budget believe me its not worth it to spend every last $$ you have on a car that isnt going to be faster than many stock sports cars. wait till your outta college and buy a nice sports car (i drool over 300zxs) then have some fun with that. Im not saying that a maxima can never be anything but it is gonna cost you a hell of alot of money. be smart save the money for dates, o and girls like it when your car has an interior.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey, i'm 16 as well. And also in the same boat as you with parents not wanting you to go to the track. I've only been to the track a few times, but i too would also recommend hanging out at the track a lot because you can learn alot. Eventually your parents will support you and realize its alot better you be doing this legally then on the streets.

I had my first maxima at 15 and have been driving maximas since 14. My first car was a 1991 Auto. Pretty much all my money went into looks and sound system. I had no performance modifications whatsoever. Before i sold it, i wished everyday that it was a 5spd. I hung on to the 3rd gen auto untill i had enough cash to buy my new 5spd 4th gen. It has ypipe, catback, etc. To me, this is quick enough for now and 1000X more fun to drive then the auto. I think if you are in the knack for speed and are serious about racing you should start with little things with you're auto, get to know your car and what it can do. Then later on when you really start to race decide whether you want a 5spd maxima or a different more sportier car. If you buy a 4th gen 5spd and transfer all the mods you did to your previous car. Either way, if you feel like your maxima auto isn't enough, try driving a 5spd, and even lightly modded with suspension is just a blast. I couldn't imagine what a FI maxima would feel like.

Eitherway, good luck with whatever you end up doing. Us "Toddlers" have to stick together you know .
Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Tha Snatcher

i say start w/ suspension.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
i say start w/ suspension.

Suspension is my only mod so far. Good starting point.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Poowill
Us "Toddlers" have to stick together you know .
Yup

10chars
Old 07-12-2005, 11:24 AM

oK.. Well lets c... Maxima is not the ideal track car... Best thing to do as far as n/a goes it... Suspension, Y pipe, Exhaust, Intake, Underdrive Pulleys, New throttle body, ECU uprgade, STS....

As for myself, my maxima is totaled and im in the process of getting a 2000 mustang GT.. and I will drop about 6 grand into the engine... we'll see how that works out.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by image
oK.. Well lets c... Maxima is not the ideal track car... Best thing to do as far as n/a goes it... Suspension, Y pipe, Exhaust, Intake, Underdrive Pulleys, New throttle body, ECU uprgade, STS....

As for myself, my maxima is totaled and im in the process of getting a 2000 mustang GT.. and I will drop about 6 grand into the engine... we'll see how that works out.
intake, exhaust, gears, drag radials, and supercharge it. my bro supercharged (vortec) his 99 stang gt the other day at 10 psi I believe. it pulls like a cobra now. incredible.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM

exactly!! I love the maxima.. and i miss it very much. But i couldnt believe i was about to drop so much money on the engine just for small gains. Crazy
Old 07-12-2005, 11:47 AM

exactly!! I love the maxima.. and i miss it very much. But i couldnt believe i was about to drop so much money on the engine just for small gains. Crazy
RIGHT! I have always had the urge to mod to make my maxima faster. And I have/will drop some more money into it. But I'm not gonna waste EVERY penny on modding my maxima to a crazy degree (supercharge, etc) because I could be saving for a faster, newer, and more expensive sports car. (350z, m3, etc)
Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 AM

exactly. wait til yur 25... heh my GT is $2015 every 6 months. Its insane!!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM

exactly. wait til yur 25... heh my GT is $2015 every 6 months. Its insane!!
yea my bro pays the same amount approximately. craziness. this one dude i know who has a 3000gt TT pays $3100/mo!!

ok, starting to get a lil OT here....
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 PM

I understand the point you guys are trying to make, but we're trying to make it enjoyable as possible because its our first car. I mean after all, we understand that its a family sedan, but we are 16 or 17 years old, we won't be stuck with the car for the rest of our life.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 PM

hey im not gonna flame you... but if u are serious get urself a rear wheel drive american v8.. parts are cheap and readily available and you will at least learn to drive.. cuz i have yet to see a decent 16 year old driver.. thats what i did... 3 winters in a 93 thunderbird will make you a good driver.. plus our maximas are family cars not race cars... the auto trans sucks a$$ and front wheel drive is terrible for racing... just my 2 cents
Old 07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
TurboMax67

Originally Posted by SiCkBLaCKMaX99
well i respect all racers out there street racers, track racers all of em i am one myself an unlicensed one but one nonetheless. i say this go out and have fun. weight out your consequences and when you take all into consideration death, loss of license, and negatives and weigh them next to being known as a maxima racer, making your teen years fun and having a great time and you come up with your verdict if it is to still race or not have fun either way i love my max and i love taking people out in thier 2 doors with full leather and all i am working on installing just a couple more mods and smashing some previous records once i get back on the road in a few months be safe drive fast have fun.
as for your mods:y-pipe, straight pipe, catback, intake, to start then suspension is a must maybe a 00VI a ECU and then youll be eating them alive...
\

Old 07-12-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
hey im not gonna flame you... but if u are serious get urself a rear wheel drive american v8.. parts are cheap and readily available and you will at least learn to drive.. cuz i have yet to see a decent 16 year old driver.. thats what i did... 3 winters in a 93 thunderbird will make you a good driver.. plus our maximas are family cars not race cars... the auto trans sucks a$$ and front wheel drive is terrible for racing... just my 2 cents
I would rather start with my max because my friend (17years old) has a 5spd 5.0. He thought he was the s***. But the same people he brought the car from took him out with a Volkswagen Beetle in front of me and some other guys from the football team. So u can really make any car fast if you spend enough money, get the right parts, and tune it well. But i totally agree with u on those driving skills, because i have family that live up north and they said its hell driving in the winter.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by VQMAX96
I understand the point you guys are trying to make, but we're trying to make it enjoyable as possible because its our first car. I mean after all, we understand that its a family sedan, but we are 16 or 17 years old, we won't be stuck with the car for the rest of our life.
exactly. you wont be stuck with the max for the rest of your life. but the quicker you start saving for your next car, the quicker you can get to that stage in your life when you have a real sports car.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM

Guys, its tru that the auto tranny sucks, and its a 4door family sedan, and its fwd, but thats y wen u go to the drag strip u race with the street class. not the stangs and transams and cars with freakin parachutes. a max can beat the cars in the streetclass.i mean, the quickest car in the class (wen i go atleast) is an srt4. a bunch of them.a modded max, maybe heavily, but nevertheless can hang with a neon srt4. and to me thats the joy and fun of going to the drag strip, to see wut cars i can hang with!! obviously, its not even worth it to try to go out there and race a "funny car".
Old 07-12-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
Guys, its tru that the auto tranny sucks, and its a 4door family sedan, and its fwd, but thats y wen u go to the drag strip u race with the street class. not the stangs and transams and cars with freakin parachutes. a max can beat the cars in the streetclass.i mean, the quickest car in the class (wen i go atleast) is an srt4. a bunch of them.a modded max, maybe heavily, but nevertheless can hang with a neon srt4. and to me thats the joy and fun of going to the drag strip, to see wut cars i can hang with!! obviously, its not even worth it to try to go out there and race a "funny car".
Any car can be any other car with enough time and money put in.

I prefer/would like to compete in a higher class. Just my thing.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
plus our maximas are family cars not race cars... the auto trans sucks a$$ and front wheel drive is terrible for racing... just my 2 cents
A Max is a family car, yes it is, and well, so are Mazda 6's, Cadilac CTS, Neons, Sentra's and to a certain degree 4 dr BMW's, all of which race. Watch the Speed Channel, they are all there.
I know our platform in 4th gen isn't that much different than a Mazda 6, and we are equally as fast (stock).
And Tilley with his 3.5, a 13's sec 1/4 mile is nothing to sneeze at, but it depends on what you want.
I drove a 82 RX-7 from age 16-25, it was fun, really fun ( I wish I still had it actually). BUT at the end, I was soo sick of not having a trunk, back seats, or leg and arm room. I ended up letting it go for cheap, but I wouldn't trade in my max for a sports car, a max (fast or not) is so much more a pratical car. I can live with the max, but I wouldn't want to live with another 2 seater as my sole transportation ever again.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
I can live with the max, but I wouldn't want to live with another 2 seater as my sole transportation ever again.
then buy a second car!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Any car can be any other car with enough time and money put in.

I prefer/would like to compete in a higher class. Just my thing.
Oh of course, i would love to too. but the way i see it, u gotta walk before u learn to run, u feel me? no need to jump to the next level if all u gots is a y-pipe. we need to take out all them neons then try the big boys, but its gonna take time and money like u said
Old 07-12-2005, 01:44 PM

i know it sounds weird and disappointing to all of u that i say take out the "neons", but hey....it looks like a neon, smells like a neon, but that thing has some viper blood. its not no neon.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
i know it sounds weird and disappointing to all of u that i say take out the "neons", but hey....it looks like a neon, smells like a neon, but that thing has some viper blood. its not no neon.
Vipers are not really that great either. I'm sure i'm not the only one who saw that clip of the viper that was gonna get smashed by a stroked EVO.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:55 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
then buy a second car!
I guess I meant I really like the Max, better than my old 2 seater. On the track, I sometimes wish I still had the RX, but, driving that thing won't make me as good of a driver as piloting the Max around the track or auto-x course.
Now whenever I feel like getting another 2 seater, I will still keep the Max, it's still better than living with a new 350Z with no glovebox, or an RX-8 where I can't fit a infant seat. Almost 10 years I had a RX-7, it was fast, and it handled well ( I had it modded a little), but I couldn't drive that thing everyday anymore. It was also a pain when I was single because you couldn't drive a girl home if you brought your wingman with you (if he struck out).
Old 07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Back from the dead

thanks for the actual responses guys.. that one guy was an a-hole but whatever. i truly want to do this for the fun of it, and im not going in expecting to walk all over M's or G35's stock, but i mean to actually race my car in a fun setting against other lightly modded "enthusiasts" for fun. this fall im hoping we can have a max get-together at a local track. but if that doesnt happen, ill just talk to some guys at work who race and tag along. but i would really like to thank you guys for true answers. and if my mom ever reads this like i told her to it MIGHT convince her that its not too bad of a thing. thanks again
Old 07-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just love how the max, although a 4 door "family sedan" can still bring pain to mustangs. Hell, i roll with my friends all the time and we always whip mustangs, even a gt every now and then. Sorry to hear about your auto man, that is a major bite. But dont expect to be racing any supra tt or evo and winning. That just aint gonna happen unless u somehow manage to put a RWD 300ZX TT into ur maxima.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:15 PM

Well....the whole idea is for you to live with your car. Ive had my Max since Ive had my license, and its a fun car.Even more fun to smoke that base 3000GT off the line.BUT, at the same time, keep in mind that the Maxima is not gonna take down a Corvette without serious modification, AKA LOTS OF MONEY!!! And chances are youre better off buying a whole new car rather than turning your Max into a Drag-stip only car.

The only thing I MIGHT do is do a 3.5 swap , and a tranny switch when the VQ30 comes to the end of its life...which won't be anytime soon. By then, ill have my '05 GTO ...and a pile of money SOMEWHERE to do the switch with . But that's just me.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Back from the dead

haha gto = very nice i would buy one now if it were a nissan
Old 07-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Custom User Title

Vipers are not really that great either. I'm sure i'm not the only one who saw that clip of the viper that was gonna get smashed by a stroked EVO.
I guess that just makes the Viper a bad car
Old 07-13-2005, 06:16 PM

whats up with the flaming youngins when your only in your early 20's. where just knockin on that doorstep and i know plenty of individuals in the 20's with much less sense than me or others. im not inferring that about any of you guys im just saying...youd be surpirsed sometimes about some of us younger guys.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 PM

wow, so many people posted at once on that
Old 07-13-2005, 08:09 PM

A Max is a family car, yes it is, and well, so are Mazda 6's, Cadilac CTS, Neons, Sentra's and to a certain degree 4 dr BMW's, all of which race. Watch the Speed Channel, they are all there.
I know our platform in 4th gen isn't that much different than a Mazda 6, and we are equally as fast (stock).
And Tilley with his 3.5, a 13's sec 1/4 mile is nothing to sneeze at, but it depends on what you want.
I drove a 82 RX-7 from age 16-25, it was fun, really fun ( I wish I still had it actually). BUT at the end, I was soo sick of not having a trunk, back seats, or leg and arm room. I ended up letting it go for cheap, but I wouldn't trade in my max for a sports car, a max (fast or not) is so much more a pratical car. I can live with the max, but I wouldn't want to live with another 2 seater as my sole transportation ever again.
i agree. everyone immediately acts like because we can't take out ferarri's or whatever (dont take me too literally) that we shouldnt touch the performance aspects of our car. I'm 16, who cares, i dont go out of my way to say it specifically because of being treated differently but uh, thats irrelevant, i suppose.

anyway, i dont see what nissan's intentions for our car has anything to do with how we would like to enjoy it. I'm tired of hearing everyone saying how they dont want to put a certain ammount of money in their car because then they could be driving a sports car. That's a fine excuse. Often i restrict myself and the appreciation i have for many things in life because i like to stress on how much better it could be. Screw that, my theory is live in the moment and enjoy yourself. if people want their car to be a grocery getter? then let them go grocery shopping.
depending on your obligations, responsibilities and interests, your car may be your main source of enjoyment and entertainment. I dont see anything wrong with that. I've got a great well paying job and i love to spoil my car and myself. I enjoy the racing scene too.
so i say do what you want to do. and dont forget, everyone has an OPINION.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:40 PM
The original VQ...

Go for it!

but be ready to dump out alot of cash on parts and repairs ...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Wild for Width

Yeah I walked a Viper yesterday, I think they are 16 second cars.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:02 PM

I'm new here on the org, but i've been driving sice i was 14 (i didn't start early enough if you ask me)the first car i learned how to drive was a 5spd. I'm 17 now and my first car is a 96 auto. All i have done right now is a Weapon-R dragon intake, but i still took it to the track just to see what it could do. It was my first time racing my car, and i plan on going again after i order and get my y-pipe, to see what effect the y-pipe will have on my time. I'll also have proof to show my parents that i'm not just blowing my hard earned money on stupid stuff and that the parts actually give me a gain. I'm just looking for a way to get the most out of my car, so i can enjoy it. So i don't care what any one says this should qualify me for a little bit of clean legal fun.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806787/3

support from the rents is so hard to find these days...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 PM

, I will still keep the Max, it's still better than living with a new 350Z with no glovebox, ).

its located between the two seats...
Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
its located between the two seats...
Which wouldn't be a glovebox, and with the max and most other cars you get that storage and a glovebox.
Maybe if you end up owning one it won't get on your nerves like it did mine, but there are some serious sacrfices to owning only a 2 seat sports car.
I had some really, really fun and scary times in a buddies '91 Z tt, but then my buddies turbos blew up, that was rather expensive. I still like the Z though (new and old). But there is NO PLACE to put a 3rd person in a Z, so if you hooked up and your buddy didn't or vice versa, your f-ed. Most of you guys seem to be young and single, take this into consideration. With my old RX-7 you could stuff someone in the back, not comfortably, but you could do it.

Look, as long as no one gets real retarded like I saw in a magazine (Automobile, I think) I won't criticize anyone. They converted a Ford Focus to rwd and dropped in a 350 or something and spent ~$15-20K doing so, the conversion is available as a kit now. That particular car STILL ONLY GOT A 14.8-14.9 1/4 mile, that is what I would consider stupid.

you can race it if you want to.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 AM

you can race it if you want to.
nice picture

if you DO get a 2door though...get the g35....that looks comfortable to me

personally i wouldnt do any of the stuff i do to my i30 to anything more expensive...cause...

I'LL FEEL SOO STUPID IF I SCREW IT UP!

even done safely...theres always room for error...no matter how safe you're being ur pushing the limits of ur car when u race...(remember the option z) that thing rolled like a ****...

just be careful...don't try to impress anyone but urself and make sure ur as safe inside the car as possible...u don't want to be a statistic and destroy ur first car...so yes...i know i can be stupid for sure..because i've been in situations where i regretted things that i did...

Quick Reply: Seriously considering racing