4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 04:46 PM

I bought a 97 SE in February and the emblems were removed by the previous owner. My problem is that where the emblems used to be and you can still see the Nissan and Maxima letters when there is dust and when you look at it from an angle. Any sugestions on how to take care of this?? Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2001, 05:31 PM
kit

Originally posted by BlackMax97
I bought a 97 SE in February and the emblems were removed by the previous owner. My problem is that where the emblems used to be and you can still see the Nissan and Maxima letters when there is dust and when you look at it from an angle. Any sugestions on how to take care of this?? Thanks!!
i got something called "goo gone" comes in a bottle. it's like some kinda oil, which can remove those rubber and dust after u get rid of the emblems...
but i'm not sure where u can get in the US. 'coz i live in canada, and i got it from a store called "canadian tires".
Old 05-21-2001, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the idea, but there is no glue residue on the trunk. The letters are more of a ghosting. . .
Old 05-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

hmm

If you try some goof-off, worked awesome on my emblems and your sure it's not glue try some of that color match wax stuff, the paint might be faded. my car was white so you can't tell and they were there for 6 YEARS!!
Old 05-21-2001, 05:50 PM

I have the same problem, except i got rid of the emblems my self. Look in the general discusion for my post asking about this. basicly, wax and wash it a lot, and use somthing like "Mothers Black on Black" and rub with that, i just shaved them yesterday and its already going away.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:53 PM

you probably need to scuff up the newer paint that was once under the emblems. try a white PEN eraser and rub the areas which are showing the emblem. I tried this but forgot if it works or not so Im not responsible.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
you probably need to scuff up the newer paint that was once under the emblems. try a white PEN eraser and rub the areas which are showing the emblem. I tried this but forgot if it works or not so Im not responsible.
I would not recommend that pen eraser idea, since that will simply scratch in the motions that you move across the paint surface... I used to be a detailer, so I have some experience with this stuff... That Goo-Gone will do wonders, whether for the glue left behind or not. It will clean the dirt statins/marks left behind with are probably still visible. Other than that, if you realize that the problem is more severe than that; You can pick up a finishing compound (a form of liquid sandpaper) and rub it in quickly and efficiently with a rag and your own elbowgrease. (They are used for entire cars with a rotational buffer, but for small spots your hand and very quick strokes will work fine). After you try some of that, grab a good bottle of wax and go over the area you used the compound on. The compounds come in a variety of different flavers... You are simply looking for a compound that *specializes* in removing swirl marks or scratches on newly prepared paint. (I am not talking about a wax that says it removes swirl marks...)

In case you have trouble finding such a compound, head over to your local friendly body shop and ask them what they use to "color-sand" their cars, to restore the finish. You won't go to the extremes which they do, but at least you will know what will work... Good luck. (Maybe you can pay some guy there some cash to do it on his lunch... Won't take him more than 4 mins to do the badge areas completely.)