4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1st and 2nd Gear VERY NOTCHY !

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:23 AM

1st and 2nd Gear VERY NOTCHY !

hey guys, well i was switching my intake due to all the comments stating stock is better, and it really is. ( I had frankencar midpipe w/ stillen filter). I went to go take it around the block and It is very hard to put the car into 1st and 2nd. Every other gear is fine, but 1st and 2nd gear are really hard to get in/out of. It still goes in/out, but very hard/notchy feel like you have to force it out. Any ideas why this is? Tranny? Clutch?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 AM

In your case the factory intake is better, at least the engine can suck in some cold air. The ones by the battery in the factory location just get all hot air. Get a true cold air intake, you will notice a difference. And you probably need a new trans to, synchros bad??
Old 07-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA StyLeZ
hey guys, well i was switching my intake due to all the comments stating stock is better, and it really is. ( I had frankencar midpipe w/ stillen filter). I went to go take it around the block and It is very hard to put the car into 1st and 2nd. Every other gear is fine, but 1st and 2nd gear are really hard to get in/out of. It still goes in/out, but very hard/notchy feel like you have to force it out. Any ideas why this is? Tranny? Clutch?
Wait a minute. 1st and 2nd only became notchy AFTER you put ur stock intake back on? Is that what you're implying?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 AM

I'm sure your gear problems have nothing to do with you putting the stock intake back on. Check you clutch fluid, you could need a tranny flush.

If you honnestly think its your intake, put the aftermarket back on and see if its still notchy.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:59 PM

no i was just saying that i put my stock intake back on... but when i went to go around the block, to test the diff. between the stock/stillen, i noticed that my 1st and 2nd gear was notchy........ you think i should put redline MT-90 ? or do you think my synchros are done ? i need help ASAP
Old 07-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaximA StyLeZ
or do you think my synchros are done ?
....or bushings??
Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well how long has it been since you put new tranny oil in? It may be a good idea to change it, plus you can see if there is an inordinate amount of metal shavings that may clue you in as to the health of your tranny.

I also would recommmed making sure that it stays notchy. What I mean is that manuals by nature are a bit tougher to shift when the oil is cold. Does it still do it when warmed up by driving? Check out Fluids and Lubricants for more gear oil info.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:15 PM

WOW!!!!!!

This is halarious, the exact same thing happened to me this morning. It about 35 degrees outside and i drove my car to get oil, everything was just fine. Then after i changed my oil and drove it, it took all my effort to get it from 1-2 and it gets slightly better when it warms up. Check the Nylon bushing ball on the shift rod. In extreme heat it tends to swell and become deformed. Check that first and maybe re-grease it.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

top off your tranny fluid, also where does your clutch engage? In my 300zx I accidentily set it to engage too early, and could barely get it into 2nd and 4th only, thought my tranny was dead. Changed tranny fluid twice (even had nissan do it once, yuck), and was about to pull my tranny when I decided to adjust the clutch pedal, and wouldn't you know it. Adjusted it a bit farther out, and was fine afterwards.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM

i changed my fluid when i installed a new clutch about 5 months ago. It was the POS Key value. I wish i knew about that when i purchased it. SO i don t know if it is actually the fluid. My clutch engages at a normal position, and I have never messed around with it. This problem is very weird. Im starting to believe it may just be the tranny/synchros. If anything I'm gogin to go with 5th gen tranny, 5th gen clutch, and fidanza flywheel. LOL all i need is the money. Does any1 have this setup ?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Does it grind?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Maxima lover

You are low of transmission fluid. Mine did the same thing when I was leaking. You lose the low gears first. Then when I would put more tranny fluid in, it would be fine. I eventually had to get another tranny after I dumped all my fluid in a parking lot one night and drove home with only 4th gear.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 PM

I just had a "car-experienced" guy take a look at the problem and he stated that it is most likely my slave cylinder. Is this possible ? He pushed the slave cylinder in and i had no more clutch. I kno this is pretty wierd to explain, but thats what happened. So, I guess i'm going to change the slave cylinder and add MT90. Hope everythng works. Also, need 02 sensors, so I will prob do those to. oxygen senors.com still take 10% off, and how does this work ?